Ducati Diavel Motorcycles Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Been a while since anyone has posted in this section so I will try to restart some interest.

I am leaving tomorrow - Memorial Day - from Scottsdale through Zion, Bryce, Monument Valley, Yellowstone, Park City...not in that order and maybe not all places on the list but heading North regardless. Added a Puig screen and a SW Motech duffle/tail bag and took a test ride today. Yup the ride of the X is not as cushy as my Multi - that's all I know but I love riding my X in the city and I have to try this trip. Thinking already I will want a new rear shock by day 2 but WTH.

Will drop a few pictures along the way...

Attachments

·
Registered
8,461 Posts
Rough life eh, riding excursion on an xDiavel?
Thanks for sharing.

In regard to a road trip.... overall most comfy riding position X vs. Diavel I would imagine no comparison.
Especially with all the extra goody mods...Looks like you're set ready to go though! Please share the experience?

Furthest I ever rode mine was to the Mississippi Gulf Coast and back. approx 200 mile round trip...ARRRGH!!!
Felt like heaven pulling inside garage.):

safe/calm

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK - I am back! 2700+ miles later. Arizona, Utah, Wyoming, Montana and Idaho - everything from 105 heat at home to 34 degrees in Montana with some rain and sleet tossed in. 13 things I learned touring on the xDiavel:
  1. I used an SW Motech duffel/tail bag which worked fine but the Kreiga system might have been as good or better. I do like the magnetic SW Motech Legend tank bag!;
  2. Puig touring screen dark smoke works perfect. It even looks good;
  3. the oil light comes on at 600 miles, even if you just changed the oil. I was 10 miles out of Flagstaff - it turns out I actually was a bit low on oil so I used the opportunity to top it up...but wait - the oil filler cap is bigger than my biggest 8 mm hex so I pop into HD and get a set with a 9 and 10mm but guess what - it needs a 9.5mm. Seriously? Do any of you own a 9.5 mm hex? Thanks to the google I discover 3/8 inch is about 9.5 mm. Note to self - but a new oil filler cap! All topped up I head out a little concerned about the oil loss. The next day I dropped into the Ducati dealer in Salt Lake and they reset the light.
  4. preload - you can't get enough! The bike should come with a C wrench or an adjusting knob or a 1-800-Dentist number for the fillings you might lose. I gave the front shocks an extra 2 turns compression and rebound and that seemed to be about right for my 200 lbs plus 30 lbs gas and gear. The rear shock however - every day sometimes twice I adjusted preload and rebound. No longer bottoms out but I can't seem to get it 'just right'. It does seem that the factory settings assume a 100 lb rider. I was shy adding preload - each day I added more, I should have added a ton on day one and then backed off. It took until the last day to get past the sweet spot. If I changed anything I'd change that rear shock - it never seems happy - but I am not sure if it is the shock of the geometry of the frame but it still rattle my teeth on rough roads.
  5. seat I thought would be uncomfortable but actually didn't have an issue except that the shape of it creates a natural place for rainwater to pool!
  6. 60 mpg - seriously?
  7. Water resistant is a distant cousin of water proof;
  8. it's great being the only bike on the highway that's neither a Harley or a 1200GS;
  9. passing has never been so much fun - especially when it involves a group riding Harleys or 1200 GS;
  10. Jackson WY is one cool town!
  11. Highway 95 through Glenn Canyon has places with no traffic, no fences, no road signs, no signs of civilization at all except the road and your own breathing.
  12. Comb Ridge in Bluff Ut serves incredible food and frosty beer.
  13. Duke's restaurant in Bluff UT serves blue corn waffles with roasted pineapple and coconut with a side of duck bacon. That alone is enough reason to go to Utah.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.