Ducati Diavel Motorcycles Forum banner
61 - 80 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Not noticed any issues with mine yet keep an eye on it for lines or anything, I ride all year round here in UK and whilst not gravel or dust tracks, there is plenty of road works and and our road outside house is breaking up so plenty of stones as mentioned sticks to these tyres! I must check the sprocket cover more often to. I guess its down to luck to if one finds a way in between the belt and sprocket.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
Question for those who have analyzed the issue and determined that the stock belt guard is part of the problem: Would this Rizoma guard offer an improvement, or is it just cosmetic?
https://www.revzilla...vel-s-2016-2018
Hard to say from the picture but I think it could help since it should keep rocks from falling onto the belt from above. In the case of my damage a rock lodged between the top of the belt and the front engine case so anything that keeps rocks from falling on the belt couldn't hurt. Lot of money though to spend on something that "might" help.

·
Registered
7 Posts
One of the most common problems being reported on this forum is a belt needing replaced due to rock damage. However, it's hard to say exactly how common this problem is overall. Lets do a poll to get a sense of how many people actually have had XDiavel belts damaged from a rock.
Since March I have an XDiavel, before I had a Buell XB9SX with belt drive, the carter was totally closed, I reported directly to DUCATI, to improve the low belt protection

·
Registered
153 Posts
Well, I got pulled over today by a State Trooper who is also a motorcycle guy and while he was checking out the bike we noticed that the belt was split. I rolled the bike forward and their was a small pebble stuck between the grooves in the rear pulley. I am going to do a closer inspection tomorrow in the light and see if it is more than one place in the belt. Not that it matters. This is just stupid. Ive got a total of 175 miles on the bike right now and this just pisses me off. I live 2 1/2 hours from the nearest dealer. Guess I will start searching for an ACTUAL belt guard.

·
Registered
153 Posts
update:
I just got off the phone with my Ducati Dealer and they stated that Ducati is going to replace the belt this one time for free. I am dealing with AMS Ducati in Dallas and they have been very helpful. The guy I spoke to at the dealership and another guy at Ducati North America both stated that they have never heard of anything like this before. I invited the guy at Ducati North America to come to this forum and type in a search for DRIVE BELT ISSUES. I told him that I found it hard to believe that I'm the first to bring this to their attention. I asked about Ducati having any plans to change the belt guard or does he have any suggestions for an aftermarket solution and he just stated again that this was a first for him and that he doubted because it appeared to be isolated?? I would encourage all you guys who are having trouble with the belt to go straight to Ducati North America and voice your complaints in phone and email. Send photos of the damage if possible. This issue needs to be pushed. The dealer quoted me $1,000 to replace. If I keep this bike for several years then I am sure I will have to pay for it next time, and I feel pretty confidant that their will be a next time.

·
Administrator
758 Posts
I've had belt drives on many bikes for many years. All of them had/have the factory belt guards which aren't much in some cases. I have a gravel driveway. I live in south with lots of crappy roads. The only time I've needed or wanted to replace a belt is due to age and mileage. That's it. It's just not a huge issue for belt final drives.

I haven't read of any failures here, but haven't searched for it either. That being said, the XD hasn't been around for super long and it's Ducati's only belt drive.

I'd say you had a freak occurrence and you've got a good deal from Ducati and your dealer taking care of it. It sucks, I get it, but I don't see a huge deal personally.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I hope that my situation is isolated. I have been wanting a Ducati for years and I am absolutely in love with this Xdiavel. Ducati is taking care of it and I cant ask for better i guess, just think the design needs to be tweaked on the lower part of the guard. But if it never happens again then all will be good.

·
Registered
91 Posts
To be honest I wouldn't have changed that one. Yes it's weaker but plenty of strength left in it
To be fair the dealer advised leave it and keep an eye on it... but I use the bike a lot, and peace of mind and all that....

No rush, but I will get it done.

·
Registered
10 Posts
My 16' Xdiavel with less then 7k miles and a pebble pierced my drive belt. Now needs replacing... Nothing new,,, as MANY are having the same issue.
Why is Ducati not dealing with this issue? Should we be really chewing through drive belts every 5-7k?
Its my 1st sport-cruiser, likely my last if they can't figure out something out.
My guess is they aren't going to do anything, since I'm out of warranty.

Definitely NOT what I, or MANY of your customers consider as "low maintenance" .

·
Registered
90 Posts
everything I've read in the past suggests that drive belts should be replaced when signs of damage are found, and it seems a bit suspicious that Ducati or a dealer is now saying that rock damage isn't necessarily grounds for replacement. Suppose someone brings in an older bike with no warranty at all and belt damage. Do you really think that a dealer would see that damage and say it doesn't need a new belt?

I have the Xdiavel service manual and there are explicit instructions on checking the belt for damage:

"Inspection of the final drive
During visual inspection you can understand whether the belt is operating properly.
It is crucial to check for damage, such as a broken tooth or initial signs of belt shearing.
In case of damage, fill in a Youtech Request for Assistance, attach detailed pictures and change the belt."

·
Registered
90 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
All this guards are open to the ground and to the wheel and this the way the stones are flying to the belt. So it does not matter which size you choice.

I think the best would be to remove the belt guard totally. This guard makes it bad, it throws the stone back to the belt.

61 - 80 of 91 Posts