Ducati Diavel Motorcycles Forum banner
41 - 60 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
^^^^Hope that works out Bud....Let me know if it doesn't.

I happen to know a reliable source in process of developing an aftermarket chain drive conversion kit for X Diavel.
Was asked that I not disclose any more info until availability within next 180 days...So stay tuned!

safe/calm
Oh man, that's freaking awesome Rex! Glad to hear the news!

·
Registered
149 Posts
180 days.. well two things will happen in that time. (due to a season just staring and planning to do about 10.000km this year)

1. I hope I see not damage on the belt, so I'll not need any conversion.

2. Will have to change the belt a few times and will not have any more money to get the conversion. (due to high cost of the belt)

·
Registered
8,461 Posts
Oh man, that's freaking awesome Rex! Glad to hear the news!
April Fools Bud! Well, it's 3/22/18, close enough to 1st of April anyways.

I don't know Shit from Shinola about any chain drive conversion kit for XDiavel, but it would be nice though if I owned an X..Much rather deal with chain maintenance for the life of the bike, than deal with a poorly designed belt guard issue at 400 bucks a pop & labor cost to replace the damn thing.

XDiavel is Ducati's first motorbike with a belt drive, and it's obvious. They deserve an F in my book.
Maybe next year, they'll improve the design.

safe/calm

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
April Fools Bud! Well, it's 3/22/18, close enough to 1st of April anyways.

I don't know Shit from Shinola about any chain drive conversion kit for XDiavel, but it would be nice though if I owned an X..Much rather deal with chain maintenance for the life of the bike, than deal with a poorly designed belt guard issue at 400 bucks a pop & labor cost to replace the damn thing.

XDiavel is Ducati's first motorbike with a belt drive, and it's obvious. They deserve an F in my book.
Maybe next year, they'll improve the design.

safe/calm
Argh!! You're killing me man.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Good points Rex. My belt showed rock damage at about 7500 miles. I've gone another 9000 miles since replacing it without further damage showing up.

My driveway has a spot where it meets the road that attracts lots of little pebbles. I suspect that's where the rock that got into the belt guard came from. Since replacing the belt I've been periodically sweeping away any rocks that accumulate on my driveway. Kind of annoying to have to do that but better safe than sorry.
Its unlikely a rock got into your belt in your driveway (unless your driveway is gravel).

Its more likely that you drove behind or next to a semi/dumptruck on the freeway. Those things kick up rocks on the highway worse than my car does when its driving on a dirt road.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Thought that I would comment to get this post to the top again. Just 37 votes. It makes a mockery of this and still doesn’t really tell me if there is a world wide issue with the drive belt

·
Registered
41 Posts
Thought that I would comment to get this post to the top again. Just 37 votes. It makes a mockery of this and still doesn't really tell me if there is a world wide issue with the drive belt
Happened to me. Based on what the two Ducati dealers around said, my bike was the only one they heard of with this issue. And they sell the XDS like hot cakes.

But I do think it's also a belt guard problem. The belt guard doesn't fully cover the belt like it does on other bikes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
52 Posts
I don’t have an X, but am following the issue. Hate the chain on my bike, but at least it doesn’t leave me stranded with a huge repair bill! By the way, I have Harley’s as do a lot of my friends, don’t ever recall anyone ever having a belt failure.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Part of the issue I bet is the sticky tires on these bikes that a Harley would never have. Tires carry the pebbles around and throw them at the belt where it goes towards the front sprocket.

·
Registered
8,461 Posts
^^^^Damn Dave. How can that assessment not be ignored?
Perelli (cars and bikes) are the stickiest tires made!
Proof in the pudding, they don't last.

How come nobody else thought of that?

safe/calm

·
Registered
439 Posts
Whatever you all think there has still only been 10 owners who have reported a problem on this !
10 out of 43 for a mind blowing 23% hit rate. That's pretty substantial when you consider the bike is still relatively new and many owners probably only put on a few thousand miles a year.

·
Registered
8,461 Posts
^^^^+1. Not substantial....unacceptable!!!!!

I strongly believe in what Dave said above (too pebble sticky compound Perelli tires) causing issue.
Michelin may be the better choice for XDiavel.

Out of 5 sets of tires @ 29K miles, my last set of Michy Pilot Power lasted the longest.
No doubt, Michy's are more robust than Perelli.

·
Registered
8,461 Posts
I don't have an X, but am following the issue. Hate the chain on my bike, but at least it doesn't leave me stranded with a huge repair bill! By the way, I have Harley's as do a lot of my friends, don't ever recall anyone ever having a belt failure.
+1 Bud...HD has been doing belt drive technology since late 80's. They got it down.

One of my best buddies rides an extremely modded out gorgeous white 1200 Sportster with over 140k miles on it.

Told me once he replaced the belt/pulleys at 80K miles...Not because he had to, because he wanted to for peace of mind sake.

Oh, aesthetically speaking, may I suggest the Diavel vs. XDiavel? They look completely different in my eyes, and why they named it XDiavel is beyond me.
IMO, XDiavel looks like a typical naked (multist
rada/monster) Ducati without the airscoops. XDiavel is still gorgeous though in its own right, and ergonomically more comfy to ride.

However the Diavel remains in a world all by itself, and still is today 7 years later.

safe/calm

·
Registered
880 Posts
10 out of 43 for a mind blowing 23% hit rate. That's pretty substantial when you consider the bike is still relatively new and many owners probably only put on a few thousand miles a year.
Yes Homebrewer I am totally with you, on this but only 43 people have actually voted yet we know of many more that who are on this forum. Please guys if you have the XDiavel please post your vote we all neeed to know what the figures really are

·
Registered
8,461 Posts
Yes Homebrewer I am totally with you, on this but only 43 people have actually voted yet we know of many more that who are on this forum. Please guys if you have the XDiavel please post your vote we all neeed to know what the figures really are
Hey Dandeano...

IMO, DevilDave (read post #49 of this thread) is the man we all need to thank as to the rocks caught in belt/drive pulley is main issue here. I believe his assessment hit the nail on the head.

It's that goddamn fat ass super soft/super sticky 240 size rear Perelli Rosso tire the rocks/pebbles stick all over it at slow speed, parking lots, road shoulder, etc, and fly off all over the place once the bike gets to highway speed.
Every time I do chain maintenance on my Diavel, the rear hugger has to be removed in order to clean the chain...Low and behold, once the hugger is removed I always have to dig a bunch of those pebbles that fling up along side some small grooves within the swing arm that accumulate.

Next set of tires all XDiavel owners should go with the harder compound Michy's instead of the super soft Perellis.

Problem solved!

Testimonial here Michy's are more robust....On my 5th set of tires on 2015 Diavel @ 28Kmiles. Last set were Michys...Got almost 9K miles.
Other 3 sets of Perelli's...max was like 6kMiles. Back on Perellis approx 1.5K miles ago...Brother Reid sold me a set for a great deal. Don't worry, next set will be Michy's again!

safe/calm

·
Registered
880 Posts
From about two weeks ago I fitted the Michelin Pilot Power RS at the rear. The tyre as you say is harder and should last much longer, with soft side walls all in all it should be great. So far I can say that it rides much better, I owned a Diavel from back in 2011 and switched to a XDiavel S in April 2016. It was nice to get a choice in rear tyre plus this will help to lower the prices

·
Registered
52 Posts
Limped my Gen 2 Diavel to the dealer Saturday on the cords to get the Michelin's installed. Probably won't pick it up until next Saturday, with a good ride not happening for a few weeks due to how I work. But I will update on the other topic thread.

On topic: I asked the service manager at my dealer about belt issues, he says they have none, probably sold 20 or more X models so far. Saw one with a small hole from a rock, took pictures and sent to Ducati, who told them it would take a huge amount of the belt to be holed before they would consider it an issue. While there, drooled over the demo X S they had, my short little wife was even able to put most of her feet down! It was set up with the mids, too. Might have to test ride that next trip! I rode one with forwards and didn't care for it, but my Harley's don't even have forwards. I think the X is beautiful, love my Carbon model, but more for its abilities than looks.

·
Aspiring to grace and serenity
6,726 Posts
41 - 60 of 91 Posts