Ducati Diavel Motorcycles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has your XDiavel belt shown sign of damage?
Has your XDiavel belt shown sign of damage from a rock?
Yes2126.58%
No5873.42%

·
Registered
8,461 Posts
Great post Homebrewer. Also good to know at what mileage/km did it occur.
Since XDiavel introduction, I thought of a maintenance free belt drive was best thing since sliced bread.

LoL! Did Y'all know, XDiavel is Ducati's first ever attempt to install a drive belt?
It's not the overall design, IMO...It's about protecting pulleys from road debris intrusion...All it takes is a pebble, small rock to mar a belt cord....all downhill after that.

In terms of failure rate, I'm sure lot has to do what type of riding environment bike is subjected to...At all possible, avoid gravel roads!!!

·
Registered
880 Posts
Completely agree with the above Rex. Just for interest I googled Harley Davidson belt drive issues and managed to quickly find lots of complaints. Looking forward to seeing how the poll pans out

·
Registered
439 Posts
Great post Homebrewer. Also good to know at what mileage/km did it occur.
Since XDiavel introduction, I thought of a maintenance free belt drive was best thing since sliced bread.

In terms of failure rate, I'm sure lot has to do what type of riding environment bike is subjected to...At all possible, avoid gravel roads!!!
Good points Rex. My belt showed rock damage at about 7500 miles. I've gone another 9000 miles since replacing it without further damage showing up.

My driveway has a spot where it meets the road that attracts lots of little pebbles. I suspect that's where the rock that got into the belt guard came from. Since replacing the belt I've been periodically sweeping away any rocks that accumulate on my driveway. Kind of annoying to have to do that but better safe than sorry.

·
Registered
8,461 Posts
190 views yet only 17 votes. This doesn't bode well for not proving anything one way or the other!!
Beg to differ Bud...5 failures out of 17 responses so far ain't lookin too good, IMO.
190 views doesn't mean 190 xDiavel owners either.

Thread is only 3 days old. Give it some more time.

Hint: Stay off of gravel roads!!!!!

safe/calm

·
Registered
19 Posts
I wish I could vote multiple times as I'm on my third belt. I fixed the issue though by removing the front pulley cover. Gravel and road debris would get trapped on the belt under the cover and wind up stuck between the pulley and engine case as there is not enough clearance for anything but the smallest piece of gravel to pass through. Removing the cover allowed the debris to bounce off rather than getting stuck and damaging the belt. It aint pretty but better than chewing through belts. Lots of gravel on the roads here.
A big disappointment after years on HD's with nary a belt problem ever.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I had to change my VOTE to NO.
When I bought the bike there was a grove line in inner part of the belt due to the rock (I would say)
A few days ago , I got my bike back from a recall, and today I checked all part the belt drive and there is non that I can see wrong with it. I don't get it.
The indication on the belt was not cut or torn, but like the round rock went thought and squashed the belt. Maybe the belt returned to original form.

I like it, but you never know what is going in the inside of the belt.

I checked all Europe to get the belt custom made and no luck. Ducati uses one of a kind measurement and there is non in the world who would make like the one we have to have.
If it was $100, that would not be so bad, and I can exchange it my self in an hour or two.

·
Registered
8,461 Posts
@ Calabashmc...."I wish I could vote multiple times as I'm on my third belt".
If that's the case, I put another yes vote in for ya.

Somebody else please put another yes vote as well.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Surely out of 294 views we have more than 22 people who actually ride/own the XDiavel? If not then it makes a mockery of the high percentage of people who comment on the Diavel but don't even own one?

·
Registered
2021 Ducati Diavel 1260 Lamborghini
1,504 Posts
Beg to differ Bud...5 failures out of 17 responses so far ain't lookin too good, IMO.
Those who have experienced belt failure are much better off complaining than others who have not experienced it yet.

Are you dissatisfied, do you tell it to 20 others and are you satisfied, you might tell just a few.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Those who have experienced belt failure are much better off complaining than others who have not experienced it yet.

Are you dissatisfied, do you tell it to 20 others and are you satisfied, you might tell just a few.
Of course, the poll is completely unscientific and could easily be suffering from selection bias. HOWEVER I find it hard to believe that selection bias accounts for more than 5 or 10% of the failure rates, and as it has been pointed out above, some failures are possibly not being counted because each user can only report one failure, and some have experienced multiple failures. The poll is currently showing that 26% of riders have had rock damage. What do you think is an "acceptable" failure rate? 15%? 10%? You know that if 10% of Harleys had an expensive failure like this in the first two years the outcry would be all over the internet.

·
Registered
2021 Ducati Diavel 1260 Lamborghini
1,504 Posts
Stupid that people are slow to vote.
But it all gives an indication that this is a problem.

I myself have not experienced this myself. Not got so many miles that I can not comment on this.

But I think maybe buying a belt in reserve, just in case

·
Registered
880 Posts
Of course, the poll is completely unscientific and could easily be suffering from selection bias. HOWEVER I find it hard to believe that selection bias accounts for more than 5 or 10% of the failure rates, and as it has been pointed out above, some failures are possibly not being counted because each user can only report one failure, and some have experienced multiple failures. The poll is currently showing that 26% of riders have had rock damage. What do you think is an "acceptable" failure rate? 15%? 10%? You know that if 10% of Harleys had an expensive failure like this in the first two years the outcry would be all over the internet.
The poll is showing 26% failure of only 23 people who have polled. Hence my comment that there are many more than 23 Xdiavel riders who have read this poll. Please all cast your votes so that we can all see the issues/failure rate

·
Registered
8,461 Posts
Stupid that people are slow to vote.
But it all gives an indication that this is a problem.

I myself have not experienced this myself. Not got so many miles that I can not comment on this.

But I think maybe buying a belt in reserve, just in case
+1....Don't blame you having a spare, for peace of mind sake, just in case it goes on back order for 8 weeks due to excessive failure rate, how my luck usually goes.

The Boy Scout motto..."Always be Prepared." My motto..."Take proactive approach, or be caught with your pants down."
safe/calm

1 - 20 of 91 Posts