Ducati Diavel Motorcycles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My fellow Diavel riders. A friend of mine has a 2012 Diavel Carbon Red. He's purchased it new and its still under factory warranty.

Ever since he's purchased the bike he's been having a hard time finding neutral when he's stopped with the engine running after riding it. As he is trying to find neutral the bike keeps going from 1st to 2nd gear without finding neutral. After several/many tries it eventually goes into neutral.

My friend took his bike to the Ducati dealer but they only played with the gear lever by trying to adjust it but it never fixed the problem.

My Diavel never had this problem. I also tried out his bike thinking that he wasn't shifting right, but I had the same drama with it even though I was shifting gears the same way as on my bike.

I believe the topic has been discuss before, but I was hoping if anyone had the same problem and had it fixed can tell me what the solution to the problem was. I appreciate your help.

Thank you all in advance.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I ride it to 1st till I stop. If I need neutral ill role the bike forward a couple inches in 1st then attempt a neutral shift. Works perfect every time. If I don't do this, I rarely am able to find neutral.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I've been dealing with this ever since I got mine. One dealership says it's normal, another says they're willing to swap out the shift drum as some Diavels had issues with poorly machined drums. Naturally that dealership is 2 hours away, but oh well. Based on how many others have the same issue, I'm not convinced changing the drum will fix it, but hey, if they're willing to swap that and a few new gears, have at it...
In the meantime, if I try and fail 2 or 3 times at a stop, I'll slip the clutch and pull it forward a few inches and try again. That usually makes it easier. I'll sometimes try to put it in neutral while rolling to a stop but even that's only a 50/50 shot.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
I found that after first oil change shifting felt noticeabally easier ! I did run in on mineral although not sure if this made much difference to gearbox. No problems with shifting or finding gears, maybe i just got used to it?

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
I had the same problem but it eventually went. I could only get neutral when I was moving, and experienced riders had the same problem with it so was glad to find out it was not me. It gradually got better after a couple of months and I find it easy now. To start with I found it easier to find neutral between 5th and 6th, they fixed that and it rarely happens now unless I do a woossy shift.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Mine got to the point where it easily goes into neutral after it had about 2000 miles on it.
If the clutch plates aren't nice and wet, they will have tendency to stick a little. Most wet clutch bikes I am familiar with use splash to keep oil on the plates, but they have got to be wet to begin with. If the plates aren't soaked in oil before initial installation, splash might not be enough to do it and the clutch will be draggy. I think our bikes get a pretty good splash by design since mine cured itself with use.

I had a bike that was apparently assembled without the plates getting a good soak. It didn't improve with time and mileage. Dealer dicked me around and wanted to charge for a clutch job. I finally took the plates out, soaked in motor oil overnight, and reassembled. Bike was buttery smooth shifting after that and the splash kept the plates wet. Found out about it from the Yamaha forum since so many members had the same problem.
The best trans won't shift right if the clutch is draggy. Not being able to find neutral is a sign of a draggy clutch. Rocking the bike with the clutch pulled in allows the plates to separate.
I know, different brand but a wet clutch is a wet clutch for the most part.

At the price of entry of these bikes, the dealer should take care of it if it doesn't get better with time.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you all for your replies. My friend's bike has approximately 6000Km. That's approximately 3700 Miles. If it didn't fix itself by now, I don't think it will fix itself. I'll tell my friend to give the dealer another chance to fix it. If they won't do it he will have to try n1acguy's sudjestion. I welcome further advice

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Thank you all for your replies. My friend's bike has approximately 6000Km. That's approximately 3700 Miles. If it didn't fix itself by now, I don't think it will fix itself. I'll tell my friend to give the dealer another chance to fix it. If they won't do it he will have to try n1acguy's sudjestion. I welcome further advice
Umm what brand of engine oil is he using

·
Bullshit Artiste'
1,600 Posts
Try this:

1. Release the clutch slightly till the bike moves an inch or two; then
2. Clutch in and shift to neutral at the same time

Works for me all the time.
BEST advice I have seen on any of these "can't find neutral" posts I have seen.

Short, concise, accurate.....and it works, not only with Diavel.

·
Registered
705 Posts
On my Multistrada, it's virtually impossible to get into Neutral if the engine is running and the bike is not rolling. I find it's easier to find Neutral on the Diavel than the Multi. I see it as a Ducati trait and quickly got used to it. To find Neutral, I put it in first, let the clutch out a bit so the bike begins to move and shift to Neutral.. it works every time, or I get into Neutral just as I'm coming to a stop and the bike is still in motion.

·
Registered
591 Posts
I have had this problem on other bikes over the years. I was always able to fix it by adjustment and or cleaning the clutch plates.
I am happy to report that this is the best bike for finding neutral I have ever owned.
Worked great right out of the box.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Interesting... I only have a problem the first 5-10 minutes when the engine/oil is not up to temperature yet... after that, no issues..
Yep, same for me. When its cold at the start of a ride it's a bugger but them improves dramatically afterwards. I also use the 'hza' method.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts