Ducati Diavel Motorcycles Forum banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
I agree, its not like a cbr1000 or an s1000rr....At all.
Those are RACE REPLICAS.
ZX6R....race replica.
I realize outside of that we are talking semantics.
Agreed on your 2 examples im just saying a sport bike doesnt have to be a race replica.
An MT-10 isnt a race replica but I still consider it a sport bike.
I just dont think a bike has to be a track weapon to be a sport bike. A race replica is a track bike.
Ive owned many race replicas so I get your example of track performance and no, the Diavel wouldn't be my bike of choice for the track, but it can certainly hold its own on sweeping mountain roads, country roads, etc.

Whatever one chooses to classify it as its a great bike. If you want to call it a cruiser or a power cruiser fine.
I appreciate the Italian tongue in cheek humor, I think they call it that for its riding position more than anything else as most of their sport bikes (race replicas) are uncomfortable as hell. :)

And thank god I haven't had second gear popping out.

Good discussion!
Yes, good discussions for sure, Evomind.

One thing I think that we both do agree on is that the Diavel is a very special bike and unique unto itself. All though I haven't put a huge amount of saddle time on any of my bikes recently due to starting my company. The 2013 Diavel will always be in my garage sitting next to my original purchase of a 1993 CBR 900rr.

I remember when a good friend of mine bought a 1987 V-max that had that quad cam V-4 engine with their V boost system. That was actually the very first power cruiser bike that I had ever ridden, and loved every minute of it.

When I was out in 2013 looking for a new ride to replace the Ducati Panigale that I sold to my son. The 2013 Yamaha V Max was on the short list. I actually test rode one and I was impressed. That was until I rode the Diavel. The 2013 V Max was actually more money than the Diavel and had no selective riding modes. It did have ABS, but the Diavel Brembo brakes were far more superior in my opinion. Also the handling was not even in the same class as the Diavel's. Don't get me wrong, it handled pretty good for a 600 plus pound bike, but that big V-4 engine and heavy frame left a lot to be desired if you were doing any spirited back road twisty riding.

But to be honest it did have a killer look too, but the Diavel just nailed it with the single-sided swing arm and that big fat beautiful 240-17" rear tire.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I see… Thaks for the info; first-hand experience is the best source of truth!

Windbuffeting at speed definitely is there but it’s the same for all nakeds. IMO, Diavel is actually better than other naked bikes, with the massive front end redirecting (a bit of) wind over the shoulders.

In the end it, comes down to personal preference and what one expects from a motorcycle.
Yes Gljuss,

The wind buffeting is just the nature of all naked bikes. Once you get a custom to it, then it's really not an issue unless you are unnerved by the feeling of being pushed around at those high speeds where it really becomes prevalent.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Hi guys! After all words above, I own you a feedback. But First, @Jason Alcor , @evomind and @gljuss , thank you so so much for your advices, and for taking some time to share your opinions and thoughts with me. Appreciated !!!

Well, the Test Ride was in parts worse than I thought, but considering the main target, It was kind of perfect!!!

My wife surprisingly came with me. We've reached the shop 2:30 PM. The 19 years old seller talked a lot, and bit too much in fact, and made my wife really worried about the bikes performance; mainly the Diavel. This was horrible.
Well, after almost 1 and a half hour, I tried the Multi 950S. This was the only MS avaliable in that shop that moment. I went alone, trying hard to balance in that giant machine, and I returned really soon (like, after 1 km) worried about falling in a traffic light. Oh, It is good to explain that this shop was in the city's very central part, and It was the rush hour.

When I got back, I realized other sailsman talking with my wife, a smarter more experienced one. He was able to calm her down a bit. The Diavel was in another shop, and we went there to finish Tests.

PS: I suspect that they made a call to the other shop during our short transfer.

Arriving there, people were already waiting for us. The shop's manager welcomed us amazingly. This shop was outside town, calmer traffic. We jumped on Diavel (and now I was so secure with seat height), and this time we followed a ducati instructor.
In a desperate way to keep calming my wife, I asked the manager to switch bike to the "rain" urban mode, and I sadly but wisely keep on It during the hole route.

Back again in store, I was happy and wife way calmer, we were chatting and talked to instructor about the "frustrated" MS 950 try. He automaticaly went to manager asking for the MS 1260 Key. He knew that I was capable of riding a MS 1260 WITH passenger, because in fact the 950 is in some way higher than 1260!!! And he was right! I did It!!! We made the same route, again, my wife and I, in the Multi 1260...

Well, people can make a huge difference about aspects and issues, and this instructor André was the icing on the cake for me. A 55/60 years old, passionate bout Ducatis. He was the REAL seller. We talked a lot after all. He explained us countless ducati histories, about the factory in italy, the mounting process, engeniering, technology. He once Ride the bike I have now and understood my complaining points!
In the end he was able to convice my wife that yes, we would be safer in any of the Ducatis.

Finally, he pushed me to the side to talk about my use and expectations of the next bike. Heard my ideias, and his conclusion was: right now, If you want, get the Diavel. You Will enjoy It for the next 3 or 4 years, because you travel way more solo.
When your kids grow, maybe your wife can Join your rides, and you can came back here and trade the Diavel in a Multistrada.

So, this is a huge history. I Will make a different post about my feelings about the bikes ...

·
Registered
271 Posts
Padovani,

It's great that you got to take your test ride.

Now you have to sit back, take it all in, and then make some decisions.

For me, I haven't ridden any of the Ducati Multistrada's, but the V4 Grandturismo looks like it would be an interesting and fun ride.

Keep us posted on you what you decide.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Well, I have time now, so I'm gonna talk really fast my impressions about the bikes.

First, the Multistrada 950S was only ridden in heavy traffic, small distance. I could notice that the absortion of road surface bumps is out of this world. The suspension is amazingly soft. And the bike is so smoth... Leaving at a stop, changing gears. In this bike you feel like you are riding a 200cc bike. It is light, It is smoth. Impressive. The position of footpegs was a bit strange for me; I was not expecting them to be so high. My short legs was kinda well bent! Similar a racing bike.

The Multi 1260S is a bit different. The suspension is firmer but without any loosing in confort. Maybe because It was on touring mode, and 950 on urban. You can feel the bike a little heavier (maybe because the different front Wheel size?), and engine is stronger. This is a bike you can Ride hours without any tiredness. Gearing is a butter. Body position is the normal big trails upright with footpegs under you, but Just a little back. But I Felt better than the 950.

The Diavel.... Well. It is beautiful in photos. But live, it's outstanding. Muscular, agressive. It is, yes Sir, the kind of bike that you get intimidated to ride. But after you start, the fear is gone. The position is nice, kind of upright with a milimetrical touch to the front (because I'm short, remember!), and pegs below you. It is comfy, not so much as the Multis.

I won't keep talking too much about the Diavel. Because here, I'm the one that don't own one!!!

But I can compare few points between Diavel and Multi.
In Diavel you feel you're in the bike. In the MS you are on.
I felt a little difference between the engine running. I think that Multi 1260 and Diavel have exactly the same engine. But I am pretty sure they work kind of different. On the Multi, It is always smooth. Even If you are in the Very low rpm range, I didn't feel any need of gear down, or any rattling. In Diavel, strangely, I noticed It. Engine running seems more refined in the MS.
In the MS, I felt that in some moments like bumps or off throttle, something makes me slides to the front. That was awkward.

In the end, for me, It was way funnier riding the Diavel. It is not a Cruiser bike at all!!! But you can easily Cruise on it. XDiavel is the real Power Cruiser.
Now, I stilll can't say either it's a Sportbike. But you can feel that ducati "pedigree".

I have made my choice and now its a matter of time. I Will give me a birthday gift the DiavelS.

·
Registered
Diavel 1260 Dark
19 Posts
Thank you for sharing your impressions with us! It is great to hear that you survived the rides and the unexpected ”wife talk” :D

You should actually share your impressions exactly because you don’t own a Diavel - I often feel that I don’t remember the initial sensation of the machine because, being so used to it, I’m paying attention to other things.

And you put it very nicely by saying ”it is intimidating to look at, but not at all to ride”.

About the engine rattling… that’s one thing we forgot to mention before the ride.
Even though it’s called a ”cruiser” by Ducati, the engine is not cruiser-like at all. I was also expecting to cruise around 2k rpm but, as soon as there is a need to accelerate, the engine complains. The massive amount of torque at low rpm (ca. 3k) is misleading because the engine works best at 4k+ (the redline and the power is at 9-10k). But, because of all the torque, I find myself rarely going above 7k, even in the twisties.

Congrats on the decision, I guess that birthday can’t come soon enough! ;)

·
Super Moderator
2021 Ducati Diavel 1260 Lamborghini
1,708 Posts
The Multi 1260S is a bit different. The suspension is firmer but without any loosing in confort. Maybe because It was on touring mode, and 950 on urban. You can feel the bike a little heavier (maybe because the different front Wheel size?), and engine is stronger. This is a bike you can Ride hours without any tiredness. Gearing is a butter. Body position is the normal big trails upright with footpegs under you, but Just a little back. But I Felt better than the 950.

The Diavel.... Well. It is beautiful in photos. But live, it's outstanding. Muscular, agressive. It is, yes Sir, the kind of bike that you get intimidated to ride. But after you start, the fear is gone. The position is nice, kind of upright with a milimetrical touch to the front (because I'm short, remember!), and pegs below you. It is comfy, not so much as the Multis.

But I can compare few points between Diavel and Multi.
In Diavel you feel you're in the bike. In the MS you are on.
I felt a little difference between the engine running. I think that Multi 1260 and Diavel have exactly the same engine. But I am pretty sure they work kind of different. On the Multi, It is always smooth. Even If you are in the Very low rpm range, I didn't feel any need of gear down, or any rattling. In Diavel, strangely, I noticed It. Engine running seems more refined in the MS.
In the MS, I felt that in some moments like bumps or off throttle, something makes me slides to the front. That was awkward.

In the end, for me, It was way funnier riding the Diavel. It is not a Cruiser bike at all!!! But you can easily Cruise on it. XDiavel is the real Power Cruiser.
Now, I stilll can't say either it's a Sportbike. But you can feel that ducati "pedigree".
Finally a thread of engagement in. Looks like you get a lot of input.

Own both Multistrada 1260S and Diavel 1260 so can give you a little clarification in different experience.

The Multistrada 1260s has a bunch of settings, including engine performance, front and rear damping (extra soft, soft, medium, hard and extra hard) can be set individually in all drive modes. And then you as a test rider become a little dependent on factory / shop setting, for your experience between 950 and 1260 MS

MS & Diavel are largely similar to the engine. 158hp in Euro 4 and 162hp in Euro 5, with slightly individual engine characteristics. While the MS 1260S has 15/40 teeth on the drive, the Diavel 1260 has 15/43 teeth and therefore a slight difference in acceleration and top speed.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Thank you for sharing your impressions with us! It is great to hear that you survived the rides and the unexpected ”wife talk” :D

You should actually share your impressions exactly because you don’t own a Diavel - I often feel that I don’t remember the initial sensation of the machine because, being so used to it, I’m paying attention to other things.

And you put it very nicely by saying ”it is intimidating to look at, but not at all to ride”.

About the engine rattling… that’s one thing we forgot to mention before the ride.
Even though it’s called a ”cruiser” by Ducati, the engine is not cruiser-like at all. I was also expecting to cruise around 2k rpm but, as soon as there is a need to accelerate, the engine complains. The massive amount of torque at low rpm (ca. 3k) is misleading because the engine works best at 4k+ (the redline and the power is at 9-10k). But, because of all the torque, I find myself rarely going above 7k, even in the twisties.

Congrats on the decision, I guess that birthday can’t come soon enough! ;)
@gljuss , it's close buddy!!! August 07... I have like 10 days to put all together. But I'm on my way.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I'm back here again to thank you all! Your informations helped me a lot in understanding the bikes and their differences.

Last monday I made the deal. I bought the 1260S Diavel.

I Will probably get It this saturday. The shop is kind of "customizing" some details that I asked them to do. Simple things, like some decals/stickers, that only the "Black and Steel" model has. But I Will not change the Collor! The decals Will be red, not yellow.

Ride safe!

·
Super Moderator
1,708 Posts
Glad you figured it out.
Enjoy your new ride :devilish:

·
Super Moderator
1,708 Posts
Congrats Mate with your ride!

(The red mark on the rear rim stock? )

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Congrats Mate with your ride!

(The red mark on the rear rim stock? )
Buddy, no, they are front and rear marks, and they are decals that I put....

Here in Brazil, we have avaliable only the S model, and the Black Stealth color.
So I made this stickers inspired on the Black and Steel...

Live, it's even better!

21 - 35 of 35 Posts