Ducati Diavel Motorcycles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, my story is long. So I will try to compress it as hard as I can so nobody gets too bored!

My name is Jefferson, brazilian, 40 years old. I´ve been riding bikes since 1997.

I started soon in the sportbikes. Always suited well, made some trackdays, got some experience. Than, after years, everything got really expensive! I had to change the track for the roads/twisties. And some issues started to happen. I was young, and didn´t have too much fear. Crashes started too. The last was very serious, and I decided to gave up riding bikes in order to stay alive, in 2010.

Well, 2020 arrived, I was married, 2 kids now, and a small business to take care. Covid striked the whole damn world. And the quarantine thing, man, that was boring. So boring that I started to feel the need of riding bikes again. And I did it. My choice was to make longer trips now, with a bike that put some limits on me. Bought a VStar 650 to try. And it worked!!!
Last year I upgraded it to a HD sportster 48, and firstly I thought "this is my life time bike". Stylish, decent, low cost to keep it working... A dream.

But this is turning into some nightmare. And I will explain: there is 3 problems I am facing
1) The tank is small. 8 liters. Gives me 160 to 170 km max, but not that bad.
2) Confort. The small rear suspension travel (50 mm - 2 inches) combined with the forward controls put all road imperfections straight to my lower back. After 500/700 km, man, that is painfull!!!
3) Lack of leaning angle. I was seeking a bike with some limits of lean, but the 48 is waaay more than I imagined. 15 degrees and footpegs scratchs nice in the tarmac. I learned that I could "dribble" this by taking off my foot from the pegs, in a kind of offroad ride in turns, because the pegs are mobile... and I still got some extra degrees of lean!!! But now, the chassi started to scratch!!!! Jesus, that is so dangerous, and scary too... it is happening often.

So, I want to know about you experienced in Diavel, do you think that this bike, if I buy it, will solve the problems above? Mainly number 2 and 3, the worse ones?

And, is there any chronical problem with the Diavel that I should know before I buy one?

Oh, and should I wait until a 2023 model? Do you think they can refresh hard this bike in next year?

Guys, feel free to comment anything you want. Because every single tip will help me!!!
Ducatis are really expensive here, and it is really hard to see one of them passsing by. So I don´t have any reference of reliability, problems and issues, ok!

Best regards!!! Hope you all ride safe and enjoy!!!

·
Registered
271 Posts
The Diavel is no joke as it can be one nasty beast in the wrong hands even with the ABS and Traction Control.

With that said, it's a also one hell of a machine and a real pleasure to ride if you respect your abilities and the road.

As far as comfort, well I'm 6' 1" and my 2013 fits me like a glove. It's not a true touring bike, but more of a cruiser that can give you a pretty respectable 4, 5, or 6 hour ride without feeling like a complete torture rack. Once you have your suspension dialed in for your weight the bike will absorb the street bumps and humps without feeling to clumsy or track ride harsh. It's not a bad stock suspension but others feel that that are areas to be improved with upgrades over the OEM stock shocks both front rear. To be honest I think the riders who are upgrading the stock suspension, are ones who are tracking their bikes or doing some real heavy touring with them.

Now of course I'm not up to speed on the new generations like the X-Diavel and only can speak for the first generation that I own.

As far as lean angles and ground clearance goes?

The Diavel will lean over and drag the pegs if needed, so ground clearance is quite good as most riders will eliminate their chicken strips in the twisties with ease, and the Diavel will do the twistiest of back road twist's quite well.

Also as the other poster stated.

Take the test drive and make up your mind.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The Diavel is no joke as it can be one nasty beast in the wrong hands even with the ABS and Traction Control.

With that said, it's a also one hell of a machine and a real pleasure to ride if you respect your abilities and the road.

As far as comfort, well I'm 6' 1" and my 2013 fits me like a glove. It's not a true touring bike, but more of a cruiser that can give you a pretty respectable 4, 5, or 6 hour ride without feeling like a complete torture rack. Once you have your suspension dialed in for your weight the bike will absorb the street bumps and humps without feeling to clumsy or track ride harsh. It's not a bad stock suspension but others feel that that are areas to be improved with upgrades over the OEM stock shocks both front rear. To be honest I think the riders who are upgrading the stock suspension, are ones who are tracking their bikes or doing some real heavy touring with them.

Now of course I'm not up to speed on the new generations like the X-Diavel and only can speak for the first generation that I own.

As far as lean angles and ground clearance goes?

The Diavel will lean over and drag the pegs if needed, so ground clearance is quite good as most riders will eliminate their chicken strips in the twisties with ease, and the Diavel will do the twistiest of back road twist's quite well.

Also as the other poster stated.

Take the test drive and make up your mind.
Thank you Jason for all the inputs!!! As I told, every single tip is precious.
A Test Ride is something really good to check how bike goes around, the ergonomics, but is a momentary thing. Sometimes emotions can hide other stuff. And there are other things that only people with thousands of km/miles can realize....

I'm going to try 2 bikes in same day, Multistrada and Diavel. But the style and looks of Diavel makes more sense to me. I may not reach the ground in MS... I'm short with 5'7". And I gave up the XDiavel because of the forward Control. In fact i think It is kind of stylish, but not good during bumps. And we have too much here.

Jason, for me no problem If you have Gen 1, 2 or 3. The bike in essence is the same. The tips, issues, each rider have some perceptions. And combining them, one have a lot of good data.

As I told the Guy of Ducati Shop, I am searching for something that I am not having in my bike. If I find It, I Will get It.

·
Registered
31 Posts
The Multistrada should be way more comfortable, especially the new one.
Yeah, looks like it sits tall.
The Diavel, to me, is more of an upright sport bike or naked (semi) naked sport bike.
I think Ducati calling it a "cruiser" is their sense of humor.
They're referring to the more relaxed seating position compared to most of their other bikes.
With the Diavel I find the limiting factor as far as comfort goes to be the seat, other than that yes, its a fairly comfortable 162 hp bike.

If I wanted something to ride long distances with, esp a lot of highway miles I would get the multi.
I think the new multi is one of the best bikes in the world but Im not sure im sold on the looks.

Mechanically the bikes are pretty much the same till you get to the new V4 multi, which seems to be a tremendous bike.

Now go ride them and report back here.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The Multistrada should be way more comfortable, especially the new one.
Yeah, looks like it sits tall.
The Diavel, to me, is more of an upright sport bike or naked (semi) naked sport bike.
I think Ducati calling it a "cruiser" is their sense of humor.
They're referring to the more relaxed seating position compared to most of their other bikes.
With the Diavel I find the limiting factor as far as comfort goes to be the seat, other than that yes, its a fairly comfortable 162 hp bike.

If I wanted something to ride long distances with, esp a lot of highway miles I would get the multi.
I think the new multi is one of the best bikes in the world but Im not sure im sold on the looks.

Mechanically the bikes are pretty much the same till you get to the new V4 multi, which seems to be a tremendous bike.

Now go ride them and report back here.
Yes, that is the point Evo... We have the same point of view.
I think like you that the Multi is probably more comfy, versatile, and better to ride long distances. But for me too it's not the style of bike I am looking for. I don't even know If I Will reach the ground on It. But I Will Test them both for sure!
Diavel is that kind of bike that I could stay looking for hours...

This Test Will bê interesting. I'll let you know!!!

PS: I found somewhere that Multistrada has a chronicle problem of fuel sensor. That It does not last and you need to keep changing. Don't know If they fixed in V4.

·
Registered
Diavel 1260 Dark
19 Posts
Happy testing!

I guess you’ll be riding the Diavel 1260 (correct me if I’m wrong) in which case one thing I’d urge you to do during the test ride is to switch between ”sport” and ”touring” modes - it really transforms the motorcycle for me.

Sport is great for twisty roads and offers loads of sportbike fun but just urges me to ride faster and faster, and touring is perfect for (more) relaxing riding both on straights and through bends.
”Urban” should be called ”rain” IMO.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Have you considered a BMW rt12?
Great bike, quick enough, ultra comfy, lots of tech and in my opinion a pretty nice looking bike.
The multi is a great bike and I would have bought one and may buy one yet, but Im not hooked on the adventure bike looks.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Happy testing!

I guess you’ll be riding the Diavel 1260 (correct me if I’m wrong) in which case one thing I’d urge you to do during the test ride is to switch between ”sport” and ”touring” modes - it really transforms the motorcycle for me.

Sport is great for twisty roads and offers loads of sportbike fun but just urges me to ride faster and faster, and touring is perfect for (more) relaxing riding both on straights and through bends.
”Urban” should be called ”rain” IMO.
Exactly buddy! I LL be testing the 1260 S.

This is the only Diavel avaliable here in my country. They don't bring the normal one (without the S)

The Guy of Ducati Shop told me that he wants me to ride through the 3 modes. But I never thougth that the difference was that big !

Now I am getting a bit afraid about the sport mode!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Have you considered a BMW rt12?
Great bike, quick enough, ultra comfy, lots of tech and in my opinion a pretty nice looking bike.
The multi is a great bike and I would have bought one and may buy one yet, but Im not hooked on the adventure bike looks.

I don't know about this one!

Here the BMWs are kind of the brand that thieves loves to get. The S1000R and the big trails (GS) are modelos that I know we have here, and I'm trying to stay away. Even living in a Very safe and small city.

But I'll take a look on It. There are much more BMW Shops than Ducatis.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Maybe if you describe what you want the bike to do/be we can sharpen our pointers.
It's kind of simple.

I don't need to use the bike to work. It's a hobby for me. I enjoy so much riding.
In the last 2 years I'm doing small trips between 350 to 800 km. Always come back in the same day. Generaly, I Go to places with beautiful view and some twisties. Back roads.

I want a bike that take me to places with some confort, but It don't need to be a "massage couch"!!!
If It takes 2 people with some confort, it's better.

Power is Nice, but more than this, good handling is something I'm seeking too. Is something that I lost with the traditional cruiser bikes before. Don't need to drag knees again, it's not the target. A Nice capable handling bike fulfill It!

Now, talking about feelings and emotions, I would prefer to have a really beautiful bike, that looks strong, that sounds unique, and that catch the eye like a sexy pole dancer. Hahahaha...

Forgive my english, I'm not used to write that much

·
Registered
271 Posts
It's kind of simple.

I don't need to use the bike to work. It's a hobby for me. I enjoy so much riding.
In the last 2 years I'm doing small trips between 350 to 800 km. Always come back in the same day. Generaly, I Go to places with beautiful view and some twisties. Back roads.

I want a bike that take me to places with some confort, but It don't need to be a "massage couch"!!!
If It takes 2 people with some confort, it's better.

Power is Nice, but more than this, good handling is something I'm seeking too. Is something that I lost with the traditional cruiser bikes before. Don't need to drag knees again, it's not the target. A Nice capable handling bike fulfill It!

Now, talking about feelings and emotions, I would prefer to have a really beautiful bike, that looks strong, that sounds unique, and that catch the eye like a sexy pole dancer. Hahahaha...

Forgive my english, I'm not used to write that much
Hi Padovani,

Being that you're 5'-7" tall and with the Diavel's low seat height makes throwing a leg over it very acceptable. My wife is 5'-6" and she can throw her leg over the seat (but occasionally her shoe hits the tail cover when it's on) and have both feet touch the ground just fine.

Also, just my own thoughts here.

I've owned many true sports bike like the 1993 Honda CBR 900rr (which I still own). A 1998 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-9r (crashed). A 2007 Yamaha YZF-R1 (that is now my brother-in laws ride). And a 2012 Ducati Panigale 1199 that I bought brand new and sold the very next year to my son and bought the 2013 Diavel.

The Diavel is in no way a sports bike. It's a power cruiser that handles the street great, and can be taken to the track and perform well. It just has limitations on the track because that's not what it's intended design purpose was.

But as you stated since you're not looking to drag a knee, so that shouldn't be of concern even though you can drag your knees, the stock exhaust and the foot pegs if you're incline to lean the bike to it's maximum.

By the way the reason I sold the Panigale so soon was because it was torrid love affair that I had to end. It was an impulse buy based on my lust for beauty and a major mistake. It was by far the most uncomfortable bike I ever owned for rides that were more than 2 or 3 hours. I didn't factor the long term ride use and made the change to the 2013 Diavel when I saw the color combination of Ducati red with white stripes and gorgeous white wheels.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hi Padovani,

Being that you're 5'-7" tall and with the Diavel's low seat height makes throwing a leg over it very acceptable. My wife is 5'-6" and she can throw her leg over the seat (but occasionally her shoe hits the tail cover when it's on) and have both feet touch the ground just fine.

Also, just my own thoughts here.

I've owned many true sports bike like the 1993 Honda CBR 900rr (which I still own). A 1998 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-9r (crashed). A 2007 Yamaha YZF-R1 (that is now my brother-in laws ride). And a 2012 Ducati Panigale 1199 that I bought brand new and sold the very next year to my son and bought the 2013 Diavel.

The Diavel is in no way a sports bike. It's a power cruiser that handles the street great, and can be taken to the track and perform well. It just has limitations on the track because that's not what it's intended design purpose was.

But as you stated since you're not looking to drag a knee, so that shouldn't be of concern even though you can drag your knees, the stock exhaust and the foot pegs if you're incline to lean the bike to it's maximum.

By the way the reason I sold the Panigale so soon was because it was torrid love affair that I had to end. It was an impulse buy based on my lust for beauty and a major mistake. It was by far the most uncomfortable bike I ever owned for rides that were more than 2 or 3 hours. I didn't factor the long term ride use and made the change to the 2013 Diavel when I saw the color combination of Ducati red with white stripes and gorgeous white wheels.
The Diavel is "in NO way a sports bike?"
Really?
I agree its not a race replica but I strongly disagree about its sport pedigree.
If the MT-10 is a sport bike then so is a Diavel.

I think Ducati shot themselves in the foot calling this bike a cruiser. Just because you sit upright, the reason I believe Ducati calls it a "cruiser," doesnt make it a cruiser bike.
Its an upright sports bike. lol.

Im not ragging on ya, just my opinion.
Sport bike is certainly different than race replica.
A rose by any other name....

·
Registered
271 Posts
The Diavel is "in NO way a sports bike?"
Really?
I agree its not a race replica but I strongly disagree about its sport pedigree.
If the MT-10 is a sport bike then so is a Diavel.

I think Ducati shot themselves in the foot calling this bike a cruiser. Just because you sit upright, the reason I believe Ducati calls it a "cruiser," doesnt make it a cruiser bike.
Its an upright sports bike. lol.

Im not ragging on ya, just my opinion.
Sport bike is certainly different than race replica.
A rose by any other name....
I respect your opinion, but I've owned a tracked at NJ's motorsports park via the N2's track day school and the Diavel is no way a sport bike in its OEM factory attire.

My opinion is that the Diavel isn’t a sports bike or a cruiser in the traditional sense of the word; and is instead Ducati’s take on a performance power cruiser.

And a very fast one at that which is more than happy in the bends. Armed with a de-tuned sportsbike-derived race motor, and compliant suspension in a sporty chassis with cutting edge electronics and jaw dropping styling.

But no one should delude themselves into thinking that Diavel is an off the shelf dealer sports bike like CBR 1000rr or a BMW S1000rr, because it isn't, but then again it was never designed to be in that club from day one.

The huge 240 section rear tire actually hurts the bike in fast transitions that on the race track will get you into trouble real fast. And even the most affordable of all sports bike, say like the Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R will eat the Diavel on the track all day long.

And the gearbox isn't up to the sport bike task jumping out of second and into neutral. I know Ducati addressed in later years, but early years of the Gen1 and Gen2 Diavel's the repairs to address these well known issues can involve replacing some seriously pricey gearbox internals. Some members here have reported that the quick shifters help with the bike jumping out of second gear.

When mine had that problem I was fortunate enough to have my local dealership rebuild the gearbox under warranty and it's been problem free since.

Now with all that said the R or SP model Ducati sports bikes are super light, the Diavel not so much, but again its intended purpose wasn't to be a sports bike in the sports bike category. And if ridden too 'quickly' heart-stopping under-steer moments are guaranteed and you will find yourself somewhere off the track in a heart beat.

So you can call it a "sports bike" and I will disagree; and it's not for those who are looking for a sports bike and then find out that when things get going real fast that they cannot muscle this thing through the real tight and twisty bends with ease, like a proper sports bike will.

·
Registered
Diavel 1260 Dark
19 Posts
Which Diavel are you guys talking about: 1198 or 1260?

I haven’t ridden the 1198, but all reviews and tests I’ve read state that 1260 geometry is a significant step up in agility compared to 1198.

My experience with 1260 is somewhere in between what both of you are saying - it’s quite sporty in chassis, engine and gearbox but its 240 kgs and a 240 cm rear tire hinder it in being full-on sportsbike. I don’t mind the compromise as it’s very comfortable and looks perfectly to me.

@Padovani will have to decide which compromise he’s OK with after trying Multi and Diavel. There is no perfect motorcycle.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Which Diavel are you guys talking about: 1198 or 1260?

I haven’t ridden the 1198, but all reviews and tests I’ve read state that 1260 geometry is a significant step up in agility compared to 1198.

My experience with 1260 is somewhere in between what both of you are saying - it’s quite sporty in chassis, engine and gearbox but its 240 kgs and a 240 cm rear tire hinder it in being full-on sportsbike. I don’t mind the compromise as it’s very comfortable and looks perfectly to me.

@Padovani will have to decide which compromise he’s OK with after trying Multi and Diavel. There is no perfect motorcycle.
Hi Gljuss,

I'm basing my impressions on the Gen1 - Gen2, but I have ridden a 2021 X-Diavel-S and a friends 2019 Diavel 1260. I haven't ridden a new 1260-S, but the local Ducati dealership is only 8 miles away from me if I wanted to do a test ride. As far as I could discern the 1198 and the 1260 differences are insignificant out in the real world. There might be slight chassis tuning variances and torque and horse power delivery in where they peak or come in on the low end, but I didn't notice any deal breakers between the 1198 and the 1260 that I would call overwhelming between the two versions.

Oh, and one thing that I think that really holds the Diavel (any of the versions) back on the sports bike scale is the wind buffeting when you are doing speeds over 100 mph. The wind buffeting can get real unsettling fast. And especially if you are navigating some stretches of the road that aren't in a straight line and are in some high speed sweepers. The stock windscreen (and any of the aftermarket ones for that matter) doesn't offer any real aerodynamics to flow the wind over the bike and rider even if you can get yourself into some sort of tucked in position.

And yes, I agree that the Diavel in whatever version you choose is a very comfortable motorcycle. The X-Diavel is probably the better of the two styles if your riding excursions are going to lean towards more touring than urban and back road twistys.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I respect your opinion, but I've owned a tracked at NJ's motorsports park via the N2's track day school and the Diavel is no way a sport bike in its OEM factory attire.

My opinion is that the Diavel isn’t a sports bike or a cruiser in the traditional sense of the word; and is instead Ducati’s take on a performance power cruiser.

And a very fast one at that which is more than happy in the bends. Armed with a de-tuned sportsbike-derived race motor, and compliant suspension in a sporty chassis with cutting edge electronics and jaw dropping styling.

But no one should delude themselves into thinking that Diavel is an off the shelf dealer sports bike like CBR 1000rr or a BMW S1000rr, because it isn't, but then again it was never designed to be in that club from day one.

The huge 240 section rear tire actually hurts the bike in fast transitions that on the race track will get you into trouble real fast. And even the most affordable of all sports bike, say like the Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R will eat the Diavel on the track all day long.

And the gearbox isn't up to the sport bike task jumping out of second and into neutral. I know Ducati addressed in later years, but early years of the Gen1 and Gen2 Diavel's the repairs to address these well known issues can involve replacing some seriously pricey gearbox internals. Some members here have reported that the quick shifters help with the bike jumping out of second gear.

When mine had that problem I was fortunate enough to have my local dealership rebuild the gearbox under warranty and it's been problem free since.

Now with all that said the R or SP model Ducati sports bikes are super light, the Diavel not so much, but again its intended purpose wasn't to be a sports bike in the sports bike category. And if ridden too 'quickly' heart-stopping under-steer moments are guaranteed and you will find yourself somewhere off the track in a heart beat.

So you can call it a "sports bike" and I will disagree; and it's not for those who are looking for a sports bike and then find out that when things get going real fast that they cannot muscle this thing through the real tight and twisty bends with ease, like a proper sports bike will.
I agree, its not like a cbr1000 or an s1000rr....At all.
Those are RACE REPLICAS.
ZX6R....race replica.
I realize outside of that we are talking semantics.
Agreed on your 2 examples im just saying a sport bike doesnt have to be a race replica.
An MT-10 isnt a race replica but I still consider it a sport bike.
I just dont think a bike has to be a track weapon to be a sport bike. A race replica is a track bike.
Ive owned many race replicas so I get your example of track performance and no, the Diavel wouldn't be my bike of choice for the track, but it can certainly hold its own on sweeping mountain roads, country roads, etc.

Whatever one chooses to classify it as its a great bike. If you want to call it a cruiser or a power cruiser fine.
I appreciate the Italian tongue in cheek humor, I think they call it that for its riding position more than anything else as most of their sport bikes (race replicas) are uncomfortable as hell. :)

And thank god I haven't had second gear popping out.

Good discussion!

·
Registered
Diavel 1260 Dark
19 Posts
Hi Gljuss,

I'm basing my impressions on the Gen1 - Gen2, but I have ridden a 2021 X-Diavel-S and a friends 2019 Diavel 1260. I haven't ridden a new 1260-S, but the local Ducati dealership is only 8 miles away from me if I wanted to do a test ride. As far as I could discern the 1198 and the 1260 differences are insignificant out in the real world. There might be slight chassis tuning variances and torque and horse power delivery in where they peak or come in on the low end, but I didn't notice any deal breakers between the 1198 and the 1260 that I would call overwhelming between the two versions.

Oh, and one thing that I think that really holds the Diavel (any of the versions) back on the sports bike scale is the wind buffeting when you are doing speeds over 100 mph. The wind buffeting can get real unsettling fast. And especially if you are navigating some stretches of the road that aren't in a straight line and are in some high speed sweepers. The stock windscreen (and any of the aftermarket ones for that matter) doesn't offer any real aerodynamics to flow the wind over the bike and rider even if you can get yourself into some sort of tucked in position.

And yes, I agree that the Diavel in whatever version you choose is a very comfortable motorcycle. The X-Diavel is probably the better of the two styles if your riding excursions are going to lean towards more touring than urban and back road twistys.
I see… Thaks for the info; first-hand experience is the best source of truth!

Windbuffeting at speed definitely is there but it’s the same for all nakeds. IMO, Diavel is actually better than other naked bikes, with the massive front end redirecting (a bit of) wind over the shoulders.

In the end it, comes down to personal preference and what one expects from a motorcycle.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts