Ducati Diavel Motorcycles Forum banner
81 - 98 of 98 Posts

· Registered
49 Posts
Hey Guys, Sorry to be boring,

I wonder how accurate the distance travelled readings are?

and in my case - not knowing my new bike that well yet, I find that if I stick to posted speed limits I get overtaken by all kinds of buses and vans (as well as some cars) and every other bike. So now I am going about 10 % faster to avoid being run down. So until I can proove otherwise, I am assuming the speed is 10 or so percent optimistic, and if that is connected (as it would be) to the distance travelled, then any computation such as AVG Fuel is going to be similarly out.

Have any of you compared GPS distance vs Diavel distance travelled ? If so how does yours compare?

· Registered
971 Posts
The speedo is deliberately wrong (reads high)
Quite a few threads about it.
Its also in the manual.
p15 -
"The instrument panel receives information about the actual speed and displays the number increased by 5%."

It doesnt say that the odometer is affected.
I think that could be tricky from a legal point of view - especially warranty.
And since the speed seems to be done by "skipping" entries (there are certain speeds it will never display), Id guess it is purely in the display of the speed, not the calculation.

It might not be accurate, but I dont think it deliberately adjusted like the speed.

· Registered
997 Posts
Reset both trip meters and riding hard I got 29.7mpg but the computer read almost 37. It seems it's always optimistic by 5-7mpg...

So as far as my bike is concerned I lose about 10mpg riding hard. I get my 14 tooth put on next week. Looking forward to the results.
Thanks for the info. I have never paid any attention to the computers MPG. I just reset the Trip 1 at each fill up and it seems I'm getting about the same MPG as you, averaging +/- 30 MPG. The only time I do better is when I'm strictly on the highway and the MPG gets into the low to mid 30's.

· Registered
2,296 Posts
Reset both trip meters and riding hard I got 29.7mpg but the computer read almost 37. It seems it's always optimistic by 5-7mpg...

So as far as my bike is concerned I lose about 10mpg riding hard. I get my 14 tooth put on next week. Looking forward to the results.
I did the same thing... Reset both and beat the piss out of it. I got 29 mpg. and surprisingly the computer read 30.5 mpg. But if I'm minding my gas mileage it's off quite a bit, again not so much when I use up a tank aggressively.

· Registered
49 Posts
Thanks Dicknose,

"Its also in the manual.
p15 -
"The instrument panel receives information about the actual speed and displays the number increased by 5%."

I missed that in the book - mine is printed on page 24 BTW

Does anyone know if using something like Tuneboy can the computed speed and more importantly the accuracy of range to empty (and consequently avg fuel consumption) be adjusted in programing? This would be useful as JayHawkk has explained for us who have concerns about running out before the next fuel stop.

While I am doing as most do - top up when I can to ensure I have a full tank when ever going on a longer ride - what happens when it runs dry ? And you add fuel (would 4 litres get you going) does it take much effort to prime the lines again - would it be harmful for the fuel system to ever run dry?

I am thinking if there is any doubt about making it on a longer trip - taking a 4 litre fuel can - and based on what you guys have been through - top up with my spare fuel as soon as fuel light activates?

· Registered
971 Posts
Ive run out a couple of times!
One I rolled into a servo and filled. Very cool when it dies as you indicate to turn into the servo and coast in holding the clutch!
The other involved a 5l top up.
Fired up easily and no problems.

· Registered
1,353 Posts
hi Otec; that's quite a lot! steady motorway riding really reduces consumption on mine... 4.5l - 5.0l actually! You don't stay in 3rd gear, do you??? When I was doing a track day, consumption really shot up a WHOLE LOT... (WOT coming out of each turn, going up to redline before shifting), just not sure how much... 10-11l, I think...

· Registered
4 Posts
I get the usual 35m/g here in Florida at sea level, but in the Rockies, we regularly got 50. And we didn't change our styles, if anything, I rode more agressively, not less. Does the downhill make up for the uphill? This result was consistent for all the time we spent over 5000'. Mountain riding, better mileage... more fun, cheaper. Why live where it's in the flats, cats?

· Registered
1,877 Posts
I get the usual 35m/g here in Florida at sea level, but in the Rockies, we regularly got 50. And we didn't change our styles, if anything, I rode more agressively, not less. Does the downhill make up for the uphill? This result was consistent for all the time we spent over 5000'. Mountain riding, better mileage... more fun, cheaper. Why live where it's in the flats, cats?
the max i have gone is 45 mpg on the diavel. getting 50 is really good

· Registered
561 Posts
I just did 2 days averaging about 250 miles in the Carolina mountains. All small super curvy 40mph average roads and averaged 52mph using ethanol free gas. I was very happy with that. Riding style was lots of 4th gear downshifting then to 3rd or 2nd for ripping out of the corners. Very little brake use - I love the engine braking on the bike!

· Registered
15 Posts
I commute to work a lot and it's just at 42 miles each way and I've been averaging 39-42 depending on how fast and hard I'm riding but in 6th gear at about 75 I'm getting no more than 42.

Today I fill up before heading out and without really paying attention I end up staying in 5th gear still doing about 75 and I looked down and saw I was at 44 and it was creeping up so I kept it at about 5k rpm and it got to 49 right up until I got off the beltway. This is the highest mph I've ever got and was trying to figure out if the weather and wind played a key role or if it was riding in 5th over 6th. I'm going to do a few more trips to see for myself to include seeing whether it's a faulty computer calculation but wanted some input as to your beliefs and current average fuel mileage.
No photos or videos
42 km here on my 2008 Multistrada DS1100s is the best I ever achieved, was same even on my 2006 DS 1000. My 2012 Diavel Carbon seems to slurp it down faster than that...but it wasn't tuned and running a bit rough after I purchased it 4 months ago: I fully expect 42 KM when I get it back this Sunday. And want to feel that pull...the Multi 1000 topped at 242 Km/hr...never have opened up the 1100 to see...and I doubt I will the Diavel either...until on the winding Korat Plateau...where every Triumph triple rider needs a lesson from the old guy...I can take a lesson or two...or give them. I like to let them scream by...get way ahead...then time them cresting hills...and startle them passing them up right after they start descent. Works every time...the old guy with a full Givi scraping pegs...

Seems if lightly raining, the Multistrada air-cooled engine runs smoother, more power, less gas usage...don't know much about thermodynamics though...maybe my imagination...although the temperature gauge shows @ 15 C less temps too.

That light rain you dry off from in 2 minutes when it stops...not the soakers the find the crack of your...well...you know...

81 - 98 of 98 Posts