Ducati Diavel Motorcycles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 98 Posts

· Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I commute to work a lot and it's just at 42 miles each way and I've been averaging 39-42 depending on how fast and hard I'm riding but in 6th gear at about 75 I'm getting no more than 42.

Today I fill up before heading out and without really paying attention I end up staying in 5th gear still doing about 75 and I looked down and saw I was at 44 and it was creeping up so I kept it at about 5k rpm and it got to 49 right up until I got off the beltway. This is the highest mph I've ever got and was trying to figure out if the weather and wind played a key role or if it was riding in 5th over 6th. I'm going to do a few more trips to see for myself to include seeing whether it's a faulty computer calculation but wanted some input as to your beliefs and current average fuel mileage.
https://www.dropbox.com/sc/c5b4ndfiw2hw7hk/AADNwWt9SVMgXCchf4M5MSwwa

· Registered
1,025 Posts
A lot of guys have noticed a similar thing when swapping to the 14 tooth sprocket on the front. Even though the theory says you rev more for a given speed. Their fuel consumption is less because the bike doesn't need as much fuel to maintain that speed with a lower gearing. The lower gearing (whether from sprocket or a lower gear) lets the engine work less to maintain that speed so it needs less fuel even though there are more revs.

I still have a standard exhaust and air filter but I tried the termi map on Tuneboy to see what the difference would be like. I can smell fuel on start up now but my fuel economy is actually better than before. The best I saw before was 6.4 Liters per 100 km and now it is 5.6L/100km even though the fueling is higher than standard. Bike dynamics can throw some curve balls sometimes.

· Registered
49 Posts
This is an interesting topic from all kinds of aspects.
1) Checking computer readings vs calculation of fuel at fill up for mileage travelled.
2) Clearly having a consistent route and behavior.
3) consistent weather as humidity and temp affect combustion
4) tune, gearing, gen 1 or 2
5) and finally units of measure.. as I am led to believe gallons are not consistent country to country, how about miles? What units are used in Diavels around the world?

I am very interested in economy of bikes, again for a few reasons, such as justifying bikes over cars not only to us as owners, but non riders, governments, and environmentalists etc, but scientifically and practically... the former is I believe crucial for us all if we are to get concessions ( legal, road privileges etc)

· Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I will be using a manual calculation at each fill up over the next few tanks along with what the computer is telling me.

I'm using US gallons and miles.

Same route each trip with 39 of the 42 miles on a highway with average speed of 65-75. Any days I'm caught in traffic will be thrown out for calculating. The weather isn't all that steady this time of year but I'll take note of that as well.

There's a huge difference between 39 and 49mpg so, to me, it's worth figuring out the variable causing this.

· Registered
49 Posts
I am looking forward to your conclusions Jay, and anyone else who has good test conditions.. I am not so regimented although I have been impressed with my brief testing (only 330Kms so far) at constant 100Kph or 60mph etc on flat roads in both directions on the same day - getting down to 3.7litres per 100klms (not sure what that would be in your no.s as our miles and gallons in Australia were different) but the same as our diesel Fiesta. I average 6.2 at the moment while running in behavior, and the inexplainable sudden burst of acceleration
, which is the same as my sisters Honda Jazz so that might give some relativity to you guys in the US.

Knowing what to do when you are 200Ks from the nearest fuel station and the Display says you have 180K range - to make it would be good information - i.e. drop down a gear and run at xx Kph (MPH for you guys) or not. I noticed BMW often quote MPG doing a fixed speed, and that would be good info for us (with a small tank).

· Registered
49 Posts
Thanks GL I will have to do a conversion from your MPG to ours - do you guys have 5280 feet in a mile and do your feet have 12 inches in them and are your inches 25.4mm long etc etc (because I could probably convert US Gal to Aussie Gal )
And another issue - most of us in Aussie can't do 80MPH for long and still have a license.
More useful for me would be Legal Aussie speeds - 60 and less for universal comparisons (a few boring roads allow 110KPH or close to 70MPH - although not in my area)

And Fred, I am able to get astounding MPGs down hill

· Registered
49 Posts
Ah I see an ex FNQ man here toughnut!

The Kuranda range road is good, and I might be taking it for granted sometimes, at the moment they are doing a lot of road works, so the gloss is off at the moment. I am looking forward to the ride to Port Douglas on Sunday... you would know this piece of bike heaven:) My Diavel hasn't seen it yet.

· Registered
1,025 Posts
Ah yes. The Capt. Cook Highway. Very nice piece of road and you can have loads of fun at legal speeds. (well almost legal). Not to mention the awesome view. I lived in Townsville but my Ex inlaws lived at Miallo, north of Port and then just on the Mareba side of Atherton. Lived up that way for about 10 years. Loved every minute of it. But now I live in Thailand. haha

· Registered
2,563 Posts
Mine averages around 6 l/100km but gets a little higher at times.

· Registered
3,301 Posts
Thanks GL I will have to do a conversion from your MPG to ours - do you guys have 5280 feet in a mile and do your feet have 12 inches in them and are your inches 25.4mm long etc etc (because I could probably convert US Gal to Aussie Gal )
And another issue - most of us in Aussie can't do 80MPH for long and still have a license.
US uses the statue mile, 5280 feet. Yes to the rest. US gallon is 3.785 L. 4.54 L in an imperial. 50mpg US would be 41.6 Aussie mpg.

In SoCal, most traffic flows at 75-80mph when there isn't a jam. Cops generally ignore you unless you're riding erratically, clearly going over 20mph faster than the other traffic, or going 90+.

· Registered
580 Posts
So after reading this thread last night, i decided to leave in 5th on my highway ride to work this morning. (about 30 miles). I usually pop it into 6th after 70-75 or so.

My mpg went from 38 to 42 in that short amount of road. Awesome!

· expert member
3,136 Posts
Mostly flat windy highways.

US uses the statue mile, 5280 feet. Yes to the rest. US gallon is 3.785 L. 4.54 L in an imperial. 50mpg US would be 41.6 Aussie mpg.

In SoCal, most traffic flows at 75-80mph when there isn't a jam. Cops generally ignore you unless you're riding erratically, clearly going over 20mph faster than the other traffic, or going 90+.
lol, there is no Aussie mpg, we are metric here, we use litres per hundred kilometres. 6l per 100km

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 20 of 98 Posts