Ducati Diavel Motorcycles Forum banner

Front Brake Discs Warped Again

2K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  Farmerbraun 
#1 ·
Currently my Xdiavel is in the shop for its Desmo service and for the techs to look into what’s going on with my brakes. The issue I have is both discs are out 10 thou. Both are out the same amount in the same direction at the same location throughout their circumference. So what I mean is, if the left side is warped in 10 thou and I switch to the right side is warped out 10 thou. Any thoughts?
Ill try to attach a video

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#2 ·
I am not quite on 10.000 miles yet and on my third set of discs. I had ridden all year round, here in UK salt is put on roads and this seemed to of got some the pistons seized on some, but never anything to notice and not really running really hot all the time, but must of been rubbing some. So I replaced mine myself at around 7500 miles, with same OE type discs. fast forward to past lockdown etc and mine was in fork stanchion and seals, and it in 2021 failed MOT as both discs are out of true, now they have been replaced with OE and the pistons and all that cleaned out, said seal were not need to replace. They only need to be fitted correctly to wheel make sure clean under and torqued down bolts correctly, other issues is how the front axle is torqued up with forks pumped to ensure aligned but dealer should do this.
So for me its either the heavier weight of bike is not good for the sports bike type brakes or my riding in winter and perhaps quality of discs is not so good now. I have never had these issues on any bike ridden in winter before.

#4 ·
This is interesting.
I can hear some rubbing on the brakes on my 2020 1260S when I roll it into the garage, as if the disks are warped slightly.
Bike has only 6000km, I guess 4000mi.
The disks don't seem to float much on the buttons, I had thought of trying to spinn the buttons to se if they would float better.
I have the annual service booked for 1st of August so I will make a note of this, I had planned to aske them to bleed the brakes, but I will have them check the disks as well.

My bike has not been ridden in winter or rain, only time it sees water is when I wash it.

#5 ·
The service department got back to me. They’ve checked the forks and axle and both are true, which is a relief. Once I get the bike back I’m planning getting a baseline with a dial indicator. This should be a good indication that could eliminate errors made in the shop.

Is there any method for checking for seized calliper pistons without disassembly?
Could there be something I’m doing wrong?
Is there any specifics I should know concerning new rotors? ie break in

#6 ·
The service department got back to me. They’ve checked the forks and axle and both are true, which is a relief. Once I get the bike back I’m planning getting a baseline with a dial indicator. This should be a good indication that could eliminate errors made in the shop.

Is there any method for checking for seized calliper pistons without disassembly?
Could there be something I’m doing wrong?
Is there any specifics I should know concerning new rotors? ie break in

The main way to tell if pads are rubbing due to stuck pistons or warped disc, is that after a ride the disc will be very, very hot even if you have not been heavy on the brakes.

#8 ·
Well I guess I should’ve figured that one out. Thanks for the vid[emoji1598].
My bike is back and running in tip top shap. I’ll keep them brakes clean and time will tell.
Now to figure out how to turn on the newly installed OEM heated grips.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.