Ducati Diavel Motorcycles Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How's that for a "Click Bait" title??
I am really loving the Ducati DNA built into the XDS. I have about 1,200 miles on the bike and I every time I ride it, I return exhilarated and happy. Ducati's are known for performance and speed, not necessarily for comfort, but this bike has both! The combination of that motor with a sporting chassis and amazing brakes in a naked bike is thrilling to say the least. This bike begs to be revved and it is so rewarding to do so. I tried a Multi' a few years back and the low speed fueling was lousy, lots of bucking and spitting, this motor is spot on. I was turning about 2500 rpms at 15 mph in a school zone and it was fine. Of course I feel EVERY power pulse at lower rpms, especially under load, but above 35-4000 rpms she really starts to smooth out. My bike is really smooth at 5K, much more so than the KTM Super Duke I recently tried. The speed and handling of this bike is addicting. I am not sure how I can avoid an unpleasant encounter with the police in the future, I just hope the judge will take into account my age! What is also really nice and a first for me, is that with a naked bike and mesh gear, I was pretty comfortable in 90 degree weather the other day. The seat was warm, but not uncomfortably so. My previous bikes all had some sort of wind protection, and less comfortable to ride in hot weather. I am really looking forward to my suspension mods coming next week. hopefully the icing on an already good cake.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,873 Posts
Well, let's hope you never have to experience what it's like to ride a Ducati in actual hot weather lol. Both of mine are like straddling a rolling BBQ in the summer.

But Ducati's are incredibly fun bikes to ride - tons of passion went in to the engineering and design of these machines.....and while there are undoubtedly many flaws, there is also a lot of personality that makes up for them. At this point in my life I've ridden most ever brand of bike available and, while I have found lots of other bikes that I enjoy riding, there are few that can match the experience of riding a Duc. They're truly awesome machines....

What I really want now is to ad a Sport Classic to the collection

·
Registered
435 Posts
Well, let's hope you never have to experience what it's like to ride a Ducati in actual hot weather lol. Both of mine are like straddling a rolling BBQ in the summer.

But Ducati's are incredibly fun bikes to ride - tons of passion went in to the engineering and design of these machines.....and while there are undoubtedly many flaws, there is also a lot of personality that makes up for them. At this point in my life I've ridden most ever brand of bike available and, while I have found lots of other bikes that I enjoy riding, there are few that can match the experience of riding a Duc. They're truly awesome machines....

What I really want now is to ad a Sport Classic to the collection
Yeah, I see you live in Arizona. I visited Phoenix, Sedona, and Tuscon in the winter, crazy hot in the summer but, "dry heat".
I love that "dry heat" stuff, my oven cooks chicken with dry heat!!
I have a pretty diverse cycle experience as well, starting with a Bultaco Matafdor in the early 70's and ending up with an Indian Roadmaster and a Ducati XDiavel now. The last two have a much more comfortable foot forward position. At 6'5" my knees really appreciate that, even though it is weird going quickly. Not optimal for sure but good enough for the street.

The Roadmaster has an 1800cc twin that is air cooled (cooled?, BS) and on a hot 90 plus degree day, when stopping for a long traffic light, can turn my huevos into hardboiled nuggets. Who needs birth control when you ride a Roadmaster? I even de-catted it and DynoJet PVCX'd it to cool it off a bit, helps a little.
I tend to ride in a safe but sporting (fast) way and that's why I am so pleased with the XDS.
I am emphatically a "Motor Head', I was a driving instructor for Porsche Club for many years, and this Ducati is like a Ferrari 458 in the way four cylinder sport bikes are like BMW M cars or Porsche 911s. Different personalities to be sure. I am loving the Ducati and hoping, after a rough start, that it will continue to be a blast to ride.

·
Registered
2,873 Posts
You learn to deal with the heat just like people learn to deal with ice and snow. I just leave the bikes in the garage when it gets too far above 100

·
Registered
2021 Ducati Diavel 1260 Lamborghini
1,462 Posts
Nice reading.
Glad you stil like your Xdiavel for all start problems.

Xdiavel is italian style, performance and not a bike like other bikes......

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Part Two
I have been able to take a couple of very sporting rides for about 3-6 hours each with my buds and can now really appreciate the performance this bike has to offer. We are riding twisties in the PA and NJ mountains at speeds of 15-80 or so. The bike corners like it is on rails and the motor is extremely flexible with a wide range of torque. It is easy to stay in 2nd and power out of the really tight stuff and accelerate to the next corner w/o having to upshift. The engine braking is awesome and it sounds bitchin as well. The bike is agile and even with the foot forward position, I have no trouble following the Tuono, Super Duke, or Gixxer through the twisties. The only real difference is that my buds are always stretching their legs and squirming around in the seat, trying to get comfortable, and I am just "cruising" along. Here we are at Heisler's Dairy after crossing two mountain ranges in NE PA. I got about 38 mpg, and about 1000 spm, (smiles per mile) This bike is so good that I now understand why Ducati riders are so passionate about the brand and so tolerant of any owner difficulties the marque is known for. Tomorrow the Andreani and Penske upgrades take place. I am stoked.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts