Ducati Diavel Motorcycles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I reaching out to know what people's experiences with servicing their Ducati Diavel 1260s. I have a 2022 Diavel 1260 black and steel and did not buy an extended warranty.

Any comments from 2019 Ducati Diavel 1260 owners on how maintenance and upkeep is going?

Is it worth buying the extended warranty?

Any warranty issues that have come up for owners? Or is the bike relatively trouble-free and we should save our money for something else?

Any thoughts are much appreciated.

· Registered
322 Posts
I have a 2020, I bought the extended "ever red" warranty when I bought the bike new.
So far, only ridden 7300km, done 3 services and not a single thing wrong with the bike, no warranty issues, nothing.

I guess I just wanted the peace of mind that I had 4-5 year warranty, not just the 2 years Ducati offer on what was then the second year of a new model. I paid 11.000 Nok for it as part of the purchase.
I figured I would ride the bike so little that it would take me many years to get any real mileage on the bike, I guess the bike will probably get to 10.000km at the end of next years season, an average 2500km a year, not a whole lot.
The factory warranty expired in May this year, at that point he bike had only done 5600km.
To me it made sense to have the extended warranty back in 2020, today I'm not so sure.

· Registered
Diavel 1260 Dark
36 Posts
I have a 2019 Diavel 1260, bought used in 2020 at 8 months and 1000 km.

It’s fully stock, the original owner did the 1000 km service and now it has 10500 km and two regular services in my posession. Only extra fix that needed to be done was some WD40 sprayed on the exhaust valve when it was stuck at this year’s service.

My thinking is that any recalls will be done for free, even after the warranty, and I’m lucky enough to be able to cash out any repairs if, god forbid, something does go wrong.
If I didn’t have the reserve cash I would have probably went with the extended service like Noggie said, just for the piece of mind.

· Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's really good to hear that the bikes have been pretty flawless. Thanks for the input. I feel like I'm leaning towards saving the money and not worrying about it. I've looked around and haven't heard of many big warranty issues.

· Registered
322 Posts
I have been looking at recalls, and not seen a single one for the Diavel 1260 since its release in 2019.

The only issue I've heard of is that some 2019 have seen a small oil leak at the bottom of the cylinder, where it meets the crank case housing. Just need a new seal, but it's a big job to replace it.

· Registered
120 Posts
@Enoch Was there an issues with the rotors? Usually that is considered a wear item and dealers seem to offset the cost to owners.
They were warped and I had a horrible vibration when braking. My dealer knows me well and believed me when I said I hadn’t abused the brakes, my previous XD had done 12k miles when I traded that. And I had no brake issues. They put it down to a bad batch of rotors.

· Registered
7 Posts
I should have bought the extended warranty. Nothing major has gone wrong however between all the little thing that pop up every year my Diavel requires more dollars in repairs than my Porsche and Rebel 1100 put together. The good news is it’s still less money than an annual on an airplane.

· Registered
7 Posts
Hey WR Studios,

The Diavel is one of the most exciting responsive motorcycles you will ever ride.
If your willing to spend the time, money and frustration factor then this is should be on the top of your list.

After I had to deal with electrical components like relays and sending units The clutch issues that effect the bikes gear changing process made it difficult to find neutral while the engine was running. All maintenance was performed by my Ducati dealer. I wish I could blame this on wear and tear but I can’t. The fact that it now has under 2000 miles is part of this story.

I went out and bought a Honda so I could enjoy saddle time while the Ducati was being repaired. I love to ride and it shows it. The Honda now has 34,000 miles on it with just oil changes and normal maintenance. I have never done any clutch or electrical repairs on the Honda.

Here is what happen when I first showed up riding the Honda with a few of Ducati owners I took a lot of verbal flack. As a few years past by and they saw the reliability of the Honda . All of the flack disappeared.

There is a characteristic of a Ducati owner that nobody brings up in any blog, it called “breakdown recall” I was guilty of this disorder so I started to keep a file on each motorcycle. One of my files is three time as thick as the other one. Today one of the Ducati riders drives a Honda and another one has a Yamaha as his backup motorcycle.

The truth is I love my Diavel in so many ways like its acceleration and handling.The issue for me is the reliability.

I will leave you with this: If you had to go coast to coast and had to pick which bike to take on the trip, which one would you hop onto?

I would pick the Diavel
as long as my dealer would follow me in one of their vans that was loaded to the gills with all the common spare parts plus a certified Ducati mechanic for the entire trip.

· Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
@Redshield Thanks for the thorough response. Seems like a real mess. I haven't owned my motorcycle long enough to have any issues with my bike. Though, I have yet to hear another owner having as many issues as you have.

I am under the impression that having Audi as an owner for Ducati has helped a lot, especially in reliability, but I do believe that Japanese motorcycles are the most reliable by far.

Thanks for sharing!

· Registered
7 Posts
Don't get me wrong I have a Porsche that I enjoy every time I fire it up. Audi it's cousin also makes a great handling car. The biggest difference between Ducati vs Porsche is the reliability. The 2018 Porsche gets serviced at the Porsche dealership. Besides normal maintenance which is "oil and brake fluid change once a year" it's been trouble free. I hope that someday some of this great Porsche / Audi engineering rubs off onto Ducati. Enjoy the ride!

· Registered
50 Posts
Hi everyone,

I reaching out to know what people's experiences with servicing their Ducati Diavel 1260s. I have a 2022 Diavel 1260 black and steel and did not buy an extended warranty.

Any comments from 2019 Ducati Diavel 1260 owners on how maintenance and upkeep is going?

Is it worth buying the extended warranty?

Any warranty issues that have come up for owners? Or is the bike relatively trouble-free and we should save our money for something else?

Any thoughts are much appreciated.
The company is giving 2-year warranty which is enough for me but if you want an extended warranty then you need to pay an extra $$$. . If any company gives you more warranty that definitely means their object has some more reliable features as compared to that previous ones.

· Registered
8 Posts
This happened at 26,000 kms and a long history of failures (see below). Prior to this catastrophic failure it used oil like a 2-stroke and at 22,000kms Ducati agreed to replace cylinder barrels. 4,000 km later, it threw a valve and engine went to the scrap heap.

In Australia we have good consumer protections and given the checkered history of the bike where it had spent more than 6months in the workshop out of 2 years of ownership; Duacti (to their absolute credit!) came to the party and replaced the engine with minimal fuss.

So, if you want the piece of mind and don't trust your legal protections or dealership to advocate for you - pay for extended warranty.

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Vehicle Hood

Automotive tire Cookware and bakeware Tread Recipe Cuisine

Hand Finger Gesture Thumb Nail

Body jewelry Gesture Finger Nail Automotive tire

· Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for sharing your unfortunate situation. Sounds like you got the bad end of the stick with this one, but glad that Ducati stepped up to the plate. That's really good to hear.

This is the first I've heard from any Ducati Diavel 1260 owner having such a catastrophic failure.

Will take into consideration before the warranty expires in summer of 2024. That will give me some time to hear what owners from the 2019 batch say about their motorcycles.

I did have an issue with the clutch lever getting stuck but was able to solve it by replacing the piece with the bearing that connects to the clutch lever directly. It was really hard to move side to side and I just bought a replacement piece and fixed the clutch lever being stuck in a down position with a new part that had freedom of movement. Other than that the bike has been great.

· Registered
322 Posts
I haven't had any issues, but then again my 2020 has just under 8000km, it's always parked in a garage, only ridden when sunny and dry and well maintained and cleaned.
I did get the extended warranty as I mentioned above, but I guess it may have been wasted money, after all Norway has VERY strict consumer laws and they really can't sell it with less than 5 year warranty.
So me having to pay extra to go from 2 to 4 years is actually not required, I guess I thought it was an extended warranty in the sense that it covered more than the standard warranty when I got it.

This is also one of the reasons the bikes are so much more expensive that other countries, when I bought mine it was 30.000usd or 28.000Euros, some of it is tax, but most things here is more expensive because they have to offer 5 year warranty on everything.
Even on phones, which is why i.e an iPhone 14 Pro Max w/1TB memory is 2080Euro or 2260usd (1599usd in the US).

1 - 20 of 21 Posts