Ducati Diavel Motorcycles Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I got my 2020 Diavel 1260S in June, used with 7500 kms on it (4660 miles), and at that point the year service was carried out.

2K kilometers later I'm preparing for a long trip and notice oil is already out of the sight glass (standing straight with no incline/decline, days after riding last yadayada..)

I top it up with 0,8L to make it just between min/max lines to my big surprise, then proceed to drive towards Italy. 1200 km's later I need to fill in a full liter of oil.. Mixed riding no redlines or insane stuff, lots of highway. 830 kms after that and I'm at a ducati service point that sells me another liter of oil, where I can fill in 750mls of that, rest goes in a few days later.

Then on the stretch home, 1600 Km's it doesn't really burn anything, and thats where I really get baffled... I also notice signs of a small leak below the horizontal cylinder, but were talking drops there, not gallons, so probably unrelated, and no drips under it the whole time (?).

I have read a lot of threads, also on Diavel UK forum, and consensus seems to be that some DVT engines can fancy drinking a bit of oil.

After I go to my local Ducati dealership where the tech there tells me "its normal for DVT engines to use oil, and its really hard to gauge the level on this bike, it needs to be completely upright and wait 30 mins for it to come down from the headers".

yeah no bull, I lost track of oil in the sight glass thrice in 3000 km and dunked 2,8 L in there in 2 weeks, maybe its not me who doesn't know how to check the level perhaps..

They're gonna flush it end of the week and replace all the oil, and keep and eye on it, look at the front leak..

Would any of you accept it as "normal" to use that much oil on a year old bike? I'm seriously thinking of parting with it if it continues.

·
Registered
933 Posts
I just did a recent oil change on my 2017 Xdiavel, for the last two years I've been doing my oil changes. Average about 5000km+. Once I put the used oil back into the jug it fills up to only 2L. Never topped off and surprised that it's fine, crossing fingers. Both those times I've been using shell advance. there are a few threads about the usage of oil and having to top off every so often. To even figure out how much to top off, I'm just gonna do oil changes twice a year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just did a recent oil change on my 2017 Xdiavel, for the last two years I've been doing my oil changes. Average about 5000km+. Once I put the used oil back into the jug it fills up to only 2L. Never topped off and surprised that it's fine, crossing fingers. Both those times I've been using shell advance. there are a few threads about the usage of oil and having to top off every so often. To even figure out how much to top off, I'm just gonna do oil changes twice a year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The manual says capacity with filter is 4.2 L so you are maybe using 1L/ 2300 km at that interval, leaving you less than half of capacity. Which is less than mine but still cause to raise an eyebrow I think.

·
Registered
224 Posts
You made me check my oil level.

My 2020 has done just over 5300km, last oil change was 2100km ago at 3200km.

My bike stil sits at max level (cold, was ridden 16 hours ago) so it appears it's not burning any oil.

Not sure if the manual say that you should check when warm, 30 minutes after a ride so my level may not be 100% accurate, warm oil expands a little, but when cold more has drained into the sump, so really should not matter too much.

Not sure what oil the Ducati shop put in my bike, it was red, thats about all I know :)

I'm taking my bike in for the annual service and another oil change in October just before winter storage.
My bike will have had an oil change at 1000km, 3200km and probably around 5500km.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You made me check my oil level.

My 2020 has done just over 5300km, last oil change was 2100km ago at 3200km.

My bike stil sits at max level (cold, was ridden 16 hours ago) so it appears it's not burning any oil.

Not sure if the manual say that you should check when warm, 30 minutes after a ride so my level may not be 100% accurate, warm oil expands a little, but when cold more has drained into the sump, so really should not matter too much.

Not sure what oil the Ducati shop put in my bike, it was red, thats about all I know :)

I'm taking my bike in for the annual service and another oil change in October just before winter storage.
My bike will have had an oil change at 1000km, 3200km and probably around 5500km.
Then you probably run Motul (maybe 7100), an Italian ducati tech recommended me this one and its red. If you're at max level when cold then it won't be missing any. cold or hot has a negligible difference in terms of expansion, though hot oil runs faster down to the sump after stopping the engine. the 30 minutes is to allow the headers to drain down in the pan, and as I've heard a few times it takes a bit longer on DVT but overnight is more than enough time to gauge.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Then you probably run Motul (maybe 7100), an Italian ducati tech recommended me this one and its red. If you're at max level when cold then it won't be missing any. cold or hot has a negligible difference in terms of expansion, though hot oil runs faster down to the sump after stopping the engine. the 30 minutes is to allow the headers to drain down in the pan, and as I've heard a few times it takes a bit longer on DVT but overnight is more than enough time to gauge.
I pulled up my service receipt.
It state that they used SIL P4 1550, I thought that was a spec first, but it looks like Fuchs Silkolene Pro 4 15W/50 looks like that is red too.

I agree the thermal expansion will be very little.
So I think the added time for everything to return to the sump when cold, compensates for the thermal expansion of measuring warm after 30 minutes.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Before taking it to the dealer tomorrow i checked under the underbelly panel .. sure enough Oil all over the battery and caked in the foam ventilation for the front belt . This is -after- external cleaning, before there was more on the belt cover.. didnt clean, buttoned it up and lets see what the dealer says.
Hood Motor vehicle Bag Automotive tire Automotive design
Silver Automotive tire Automotive design Motor vehicle Grey

1 - 7 of 7 Posts