Ducati Diavel Motorcycles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2012 Red Carbon with 2400 miles on it. Two weeks ago, at 4:30 AM on the way to the gym, doing steady 60 mph, in the blink of an eye, engine, lights, LED and TFT cut off. Only the oil presssure light on. pull over to the side of the road. "Reboot" (turn off with the kill switch, reboot with the kill switch) bike started as usual and completed my trip.

Last weekend it happened again, mid-afternoon, doing steady 65 mph., cut out again as stated above. Pulled over to the side of the road, restarted without a problem.

Oil level is perfect. At last oil change, filled the oil filter half-way before installation to keep it from becoming "air-bound" (per LT Snyder (desmotimes.com))

Called dealer, he wants to install a new map?!!! Any ideas? Thanks!

·
Banned
1,727 Posts
Called dealer, he wants to install a new map?!!! Any ideas? Thanks!
What a bummer, sounds dangerous. I'm giving an educated guess here, the oil light is a clue, sounds like either an Instrument Panel or the Blackbox Unit --- my money is on the Black Box unit. Of course it could also be a plug connection associated with either of those. This will only found by a process of elimination, and the best technique is try the simplest first, so a map update sounds like a good place to start.

·
Registered
18 Posts
i also have a 2012 red carbon 1500klms, so far it has happen to me 3 times but only on deceleration. Same thing only the oil light on. first time it happen I thought it just had not warmed up, was at about 70C. Pulled to a stop turned it off then on and away it went. Its done it 2 times since then probably at similar engine temp and I have found that it will restart again but only by putting it into neutral and hitting the starter button. Will not start by just letting out the clutch and jump starting. Hasn't done it this week was waiting for it to happen again so I could gather more data before talking to the dealer.

·
Registered
18 Posts
ahh seems the problem has been discussed at great length under the General Discussion tab "Diavel Stalling". Very interesting reading.

·
Drop Bear Slayer
8,437 Posts
I don't think it is the stalling issue actually.
For the lights and LCD to go off like that, the ecu must have crashed.
That's a different situation to the engine just stopping, as it can be restarted with a push of the starter button.

Chicken strips? What chicken strips?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had the same thing except it happened at 135 mph, it just went off and I could not turn it on. No lights , no display all dead. I gave it to the dealer and he claimed condensation in the wires. I took the bike back and after 30 minute again. Bike back at the dealer

·
Registered
816 Posts
Condensation in wires?
They're always inventing new bullshit!

My MV F4 1000 dropped a cylinder once on the Oxley Hwy, I limped it home and took it to a mates performance shop for a dyno run, we replaced plugs, checked the leads and coil packs could not fault anything. I rang the importer and there was a service bulletin for a wiring plug under the tank that gets water in it when the bike is washed, we checked the plug and it was corroded. Replaced the plug, re routed the wiring loom and fixed the problem .

·
Registered
7 Posts
that would not turn off all the electronics, when this happened all the electrical parts where dead like there is no juice.

·
Registered
983 Posts
I only had that twice on deceleration and at an early "age" under 3000 Km. Didn't had that issue with the panels turning off etc... But since then never and also since I did the Rexxer even less.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Wow!!! This is the same thing that happened to me in the thread "a weird thing happened to me". It also happened to me a day after I got the bike. I was decelerating to enter an exit ramp and "lights out ". I thought at the time that I may have hit the bar off switch by accident. I will definitely mention this when I take it in for my 600 mile service.

·
Registered
4 Posts
i had the same problem when i first puchasd my diavel a year or so ago. apart form being damn embarassing when having to pull over in traffic without power at low speed, its even more of a worry when the thing cuts out at high speed, coming almost to a dead stop !
when having its first oil service the technicians could not find a fault, they thought i was having a laugh !, until it was driven from the workshop to the forecourt when the bike stalled !!!
they were very apologetic................they had the bike back for a week !!!! its better now but still (very rarely) cuts out .. its due its second annual service his week, i will be reiterating the fact & i want it logged as a continuing problem for future reference, shame really, everything else is really good.

·
Registered
1 Posts
this happened to me just recently too , during deceleration , happened once but it's scary , not confidence inspiring , now it's always at the back of my head when i ride it.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
That's in the plug, not the wires.

Hey Coop, I was thinking that if I had condensation in my wires, surely that would make them even more conductive? Water vapour would pass electricity really well and lower the resistance of the circuit.
I think we're on to something! Lithium ion batteries and water wiring - power and connectivity!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts