Ducati Diavel Motorcycles Forum banner
41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
8,461 Posts
Okay, so if the belt needs to be replaced from rock damage only once or twice for the life of the bike then maybe the cost difference equals out in the end. My first belt was replaced at 7000 miles but I've since gone 22,000 more miles without a problem.
Awesome news to hear Bud. Great. Belt drive technology definitely works when it works!!
I love the 0 maintenance, set it and forget it part.

Shucks, I lube (Chain Wax) my chain approx every 500 miles. PM the chain approx 3-5K miles.
Do the math...You saved over 44 lubes and 4 PM's in 22k miles...
You must be doing something right...Just do the very best, avoid gravel roads as much as possible, or ride slow as possible, stuff to look out for.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Two months ago, I had to get my bike towed from the side of the road.

I got some news yesterday from the dealership as they were short-staffed for months. It has crossed my mind to abandon the bike and call it the very end. Instead of me just taking a hit for the team, I thought maybe someone reading could be helped, as a lot of 2017's are advertised for sale. Hopefully prevent cascading terror.

The bill, including replacing the belt came out to over 9,000. The invoice even suggested there could be more work once they split the casing with over 14,000km on the odometer.

One chance at this stage to keep the bike could be asking if they performed the Transport Canada Recall-2016-472.
They reminded me of the FOB recall and the kickstand recall but I never knew of this final nut recall.

Not really fair if they advertised "low maintenance" and the King of engines. I bought it in 2018 new as a 2017 model.

·
Registered
8 Posts
G'day RC,

Something seems wrong about this failure.

The original recall info came out in 2016 once the manufacturing error regarding the final drive pulley nut torque and washer hardness was found.

If you purchased a 2017 bike brand new in 2018 the modification should have been made before the bike ever left the show room floor.
I would imagine if you pointed that fact out along with some advice from your consumer rights government department in the form of a gently worded threat, they may well repair the bike at no cost.

I went through a very similar problem with mine when it failed.
The dealer here was quick to point out that I would be paying the thousands for the rework since I must have received a letter for the recall.
Unfortunately for them, I didn't own the bike when the recall was issued....it was still owned by Ducati at the time of recall so no document was ever forwarded to me, they of course knew that!

The second I mentioned that I'd been in contact with the ACCC, ( Australian consumer affairs), the bike was magically repaired at zero cost to me.

As usual, the dealers always try to apportion blame to the owner in the first instance.
It seems to me you may well have an excellent case based on the timing of the sale to you.

best of luck...

cheers,

·
Registered
3 Posts
Today I was told my bike was not subject to this particular recall campaign. My VIN number is not deemed defective by Ducati is what they told me.

I noticed Transport Canada detailed the recall date to be 2016-09-26. I called Ducati North America just now and they said my bike was manufactured 2016-10-06.

Maybe someone took over an upper-middle management position at Ducati this last few years? Trying to counter a balance sheet?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Recall time frames related to the VIN could be difficult to determine by an average bystander.

I noticed in Australia, the official recall notice was October 31, 2016 according to this website,

Ducati recalls XDiavel on two issues - Motorbike Writer

I checked the North American Ducati websites, and, is it just me or the recall database is disabled?

Make sure you get this recall done if you are buying an XDiavel !

·
Registered
220 Posts
My 16 just hit 18k. I was getting ready to take for the service and noticed my rear hub was wobbly while cleaning it. Checked the nur and sure enough it's was loose. Tried to Tighten it and it didn't help. I think my hub is shot. Going to tear into it this weekend.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Hub, axle and drive pulley all damaged. 2800 in replacement parts. Ducati will not do anything since I didn't use dealership for maintenance. So be sure to have the dealership do regular maintenance work if you expect ducati to do anything for you in good faith after the warranty.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Nope. Just said since I serviced the bike myself I had no receipts of service and they would do nothing in good faith after the warranty. If I had used the dealer for all services they might eat the parts cost I assume.

41 - 49 of 49 Posts