Ducati Diavel Motorcycles Forum banner
21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
This is a picture of mine. Mind you they want to just clean the threads up with a dye and reuse it. I am so pissed I spent this much money on a bike and that is how Ducati wants to fix it? What else do they hack together if they let this go?
so sorry for what's happening. is your dealer any good? this is my first ducati and my dealer called me when the recall parts arrived last year when my bike was covered for winter and said they would hold them. i called last week because my rear brake line got air therefore no rear brake. they picked up my bike and fixed the line under warranty. they also had my parts being held for the drive pulley recall and kickstand recall. they fixed them all with the parts they held since november. i live in ct and new haven powersports keeps their word and repaired the bike perfectly. you cannot tell the pulley cover was even removed. even the bolts had no sign of marks. i am lucky to have a good dealer keeping their word. they also have 3 ducati wrenches in the winter. i know ducati dealers are not in many places. i know people who drive from nearby states to them in new haven ct. i have been concerned of the recalls since i bought the bike at the end of august knowing i would not ride in the winter. my warranty is burning as my bike stands still for the most part. i still love my xdiavel s. and wish you better luck with yours. i just got fed up with harley after 40 years of riding and got the ducati. i know they're very different but this ducati is fricken cool.

·
Registered
2,873 Posts
so sorry for what's happening. is your dealer any good? this is my first ducati and my dealer called me when the recall parts arrived last year when my bike was covered for winter and said they would hold them. i called last week because my rear brake line got air therefore no rear brake. they picked up my bike and fixed the line under warranty. they also had my parts being held for the drive pulley recall and kickstand recall. they fixed them all with the parts they held since november. i live in ct and new haven powersports keeps their word and repaired the bike perfectly. you cannot tell the pulley cover was even removed. even the bolts had no sign of marks. i am lucky to have a good dealer keeping their word. they also have 3 ducati wrenches in the winter. i know ducati dealers are not in many places. i know people who drive from nearby states to them in new haven ct. i have been concerned of the recalls since i bought the bike at the end of august knowing i would not ride in the winter. my warranty is burning as my bike stands still for the most part. i still love my xdiavel s. and wish you better luck with yours. i just got fed up with harley after 40 years of riding and got the ducati. i know they're very different but this ducati is fricken cool.
It's amazing the difference a good dealer makes.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Well I agree, I told the dealer I get it serviced at that I thought it was bs that they would even need to ask me if this repair is ok. I just got another email today about asking if they should wait or "fix" it per Ducati. I just shake my head, I loved this bike when I first got it. They have ruined it for me. I don't even want the thing back. I can't even get ahold of Ducati to talk to them. The dealer says they have told them I want to talk but not one call or email. Unreal how little service I am getting from Ducati after spending this kInd of money.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Just got this email from the dealer.

Good Afternoon Mr Bennett-

Thank you for your email.

Please be very clear-South Sound cannot dictate the repair regardless of what we what or think. When warranty is involved, the Manufacturer is responsible and gets to make the decisions. We are not the manufacturer and we do not get to decide how the repair is performed. We have repeatedly contacted Ducati on this issue and I do not have any update beyond what Neil has already given. I have asked Service to keep you updated every couple days or sooner if there is any info to update. I will copy my rep on your email and again ask that Ducati Customer Service call you.

There is nothing further for South Sound to do at this point as you are the client and we cannot repair the bike without your authorization. You are able to request a different dealer work on the bike if you feel that we are not the best choice. Please advise us as to what you wish to do or if there is something further that we need to provide to you.

Sincerely-

Brendan Ferrer
GM
South Sound MC

·
Registered
24 Posts
So finally got off the phone with Ducati. They played the oh we didn't know you wanted to talk to us. Bs. Anyway, they basically said that they are going to reuse that shaft and the only way it's getting replaced is if I pay for it. They think it's fine. I asked for a letter stating that they planned on repairing the damaged threads and reusing the shaft and they declined and said that is not happening. They insist that the threads that are being used(where the nut is) is undamged. I say it's a brand new bike. He keeps exspalning to me what the threads do and how they are used and where the nut goes blah blah blah. Meanwhile I am taking apart a motor while I am on the phone with him. I am no pro mechanic but I would never reuse something like that. The dealer south sound Ducati in fife is no help. They even told Ducati that my fork issue with it sticking (tech even said they were sticking) was nothing and they did a repair in good faith to basically shut me up. It's still not fixed and the demo bikes don't do it. The dealer talks to me like I am an idiot and I just don't understand how things work. All delivered with this arrogant contempt for even questioning them or thier brand. I don't think I will ever buy another Ducati again in my life. This was my first and last. And if you're looking for that dealer that goes the extra mile for you, south sound is not it. Save yourself the trouble and buy somewhere else.

·
Registered
443 Posts
So finally got off the phone with Ducati. They played the oh we didn't know you wanted to talk to us. Bs. Anyway, they basically said that they are going to reuse that shaft and the only way it's getting replaced is if I pay for it. They think it's fine. I asked for a letter stating that they planned on repairing the damaged threads and reusing the shaft and they declined and said that is not happening. They insist that the threads that are being used(where the nut is) is undamged. I say it's a brand new bike. He keeps exspalning to me what the threads do and how they are used and where the nut goes blah blah blah. Meanwhile I am taking apart a motor while I am on the phone with him. I am no pro mechanic but I would never reuse something like that. The dealer south sound Ducati in fife is no help. They even told Ducati that my fork issue with it sticking (tech even said they were sticking) was nothing and they did a repair in good faith to basically shut me up. It's still not fixed and the demo bikes don't do it. The dealer talks to me like I am an idiot and I just don't understand how things work. All delivered with this arrogant contempt for even questioning them or thier brand. I don't think I will ever buy another Ducati again in my life. This was my first and last. And if you're looking for that dealer that goes the extra mile for you, south sound is not it. Save yourself the trouble and buy somewhere else.
If it is true that the nut will lay on the undamaged threads when tightened down then you probably don't have much of a case to claim that the repair will be prone to failure.

In the end... how much time and money do you want to invest in this? If you truly want to take a stand (and I would be tempted to do so if I were in your shoes) I would talk to an attorney (probably cost you $50) to see if you have any kind of case. Best case scenario you could file something in small claims court against Ducati USA. Small claims wouldn't require much investment on your part but would be enough of a pain in the ass for Ducati that it might cause them to back down. An attorney could tell you if it's even possible to file against a non local corporation. Also, there is the issue of what your damages are. At the very least because of a manufacturing defect your bike suffered damage that unless it is repaired correctly will be worth less money. However that's a pretty complicated claim and probably not applicable to small claims court. In the end though, even if you have no case you've made yourself enough of a pain in the ass that maybe the company will cave.

Any attorneys out there who could weigh in?

·
Registered
98 Posts
such bs. i am truly sorry for your experience. i would be crazy if it were me too. i've owned 12 or 13 harley's and a bmw RnineT along with some dirt bikes. i've never had a problem like you're experiencing. it's given me pause to put any money into mine, like tremis or any bolt on farkles. i just took out my bike yesterday and today. everything was perfect so i almost thought of getting some accessories. i then came back to this thread and stopped that thought. there are a few folks with other persistent problems as well. this is my first ducati and i do have a great dealer with a relationship. still, i pause myself. i think, should i sell it now? i love it but will it hold up over time? i am not a "hard' rider but i do like to push it sometimes. it brings a big smile to my face. then i am back on the forum and get bummed with stories such as yours. i hope you can resolve this to your satisfaction. i was kind of counting on it for my moving forward with adding stuff to my bike. after all, that's part of the fun of a motorcycle or car for me. with spring her shortly i'm still debating to sell. i would lose a ton of cash, then what to get. probably a bicycle! lol

·
Registered
24 Posts
It does make me question even owning a Ducati. Ducati NW has been in contact with trying to resolve the issue. We will see what they do. If we can't come to a resolution, or they don't buy the bike back I will be getting a lawyer. Just keep your bike under warranty.

·
Registered
2 Posts
These bikes, Ducati since way back, were never designed to be belt drive. Look at the size and number of splines on the output shaft of every other belt drive bike. Perhaps not the old Kawasaki LTD 440, but everything else. Can you imagine what would happen if you cold physically fit a Harley sized pulley in that space? The splines would strip off as soon as you let out the clutch. Yes Ducati has gotten away with routing some serious horsepower through that small diameter shaft, I guess in the interest of keeping some things the same and interchangeable, but they also use small diameter 14 and 15 tooth sprockets. Perhaps the answer is deeper / better heat treating of the splines on the output shaft and perhaps a change in material for the pulley. Uhmmmmm ..... or abandon belt drive altogether.

One off topic question I have, can anyone confirm that the belt Is in fact 11mm pitch? (Belt drive for my project bike)

·
Registered
173 Posts
It does make me question even owning a Ducati. Ducati NW has been in contact with trying to resolve the issue. We will see what they do. If we can't come to a resolution, or they don't buy the bike back I will be getting a lawyer. Just keep your bike under warranty.
Old thread, but what was the outcome of this issue? Did you get it fixed as you wanted, or did the nut fit on the undamaged part and they left it that way? Has the bike held up or did you sell it? Your experience is what normally happens to me.

·
Registered
8,461 Posts
^^^^@ AJ...

Uhmmmmm ..... or abandon belt drive altogether.

Perhaps Ducati did...Notice the new Diavel 1260S went back to chain drive.

It's too bad Ducati could never master belt drive technology the first time right though, as HD's done for over 30 years.
IMO, chain drive vs. belt drive = Shit vs. Ice cream

·
Registered
957 Posts
^^^^@ AJ...

Uhmmmmm ..... or abandon belt drive altogether.

Perhaps Ducati did...Notice the new Diavel 1260S went back to chain drive.

It's too bad they could never get it right though, as HD's done for over 30 years.
IMO, chain drive vs. belt drive = Shit vs. Ice cream
So your saying chain drive is shit and belt drive is ice cream. So I did it right then? Or did you mean the other way around. And like what other guy said ????(dieselshadow) the diavel has always been chain drive

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,461 Posts
So your saying chain drive is shit and belt drive is ice cream. So I did it right then? Or did you mean the other way around. And like what other guy said í ½í´¼(dieselshadow) the diavel has always been chain drive

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes....Look what belt drive has to offer...Adjustment/Maintenance free for life!!!.
Have a Bud w/HD 1200 Sportster w/+140kMiles...Said his first belt/pulleys went 75k miles before replacement...The kicker was they still looked good, but replaced them anyway since bike needed new tires and thought it was time, due to 75k miles of wear.

Yup, that was my point in reply...
XDiavel...Ducati's first ever belt driven bike, and perhaps their last,

·
Registered
609 Posts
Guys.... the XDiavel model has been getting some negativity for a while now regarding the rear drive belt system. I know there have been numerous posts from guys reporting belt issues but based on my own experience I'm not convinced there really is a problem or if there is, how big a problem is it? Is it 20% of belt drive models have issues? Is it 1%? Less than 1%? I believe it is low, very low.
I have had Harleys forever and still have a '74 FXE and my 120R FLHX with a turbo. I have never had any belt problems. But I do have concerns that H-D has been making their dresser models heavier (pushing 900 lbs. now) and the rear belts narrower, from the original 1.5" (38mm) and now 1" (25.4mm). My turbo FLHX has 165 RWHP & 165 RWTQ. I still have no issues with my rear belt but if I ever decide to boost output pushing 200 RWHP I will swap to a chain drive. They are stronger than my current 1" belt. FYI I had a 1993 FLHS and the same original belt was still on it when I sold it in 2012…19 years on the same belt!!! I used to change my rear chain probably at least once per year or more. The best quality chains are expensive so dollar spent comparing longevity chain vs. belt, the chain loses bad. Keeping a rear chain clean and lubed is a real PITA. And if you put too much lube you get it all flung off on your rear wheel and back end. Not for me.
It seems to me that a lot of the negativity might be coming from guys that find it hard to accept a belt drive and they jump on any reported issues and failures and make them a lot more high profile than they need to be. Similar to the H-D old school air-head (air cooled) mentality that is resistant to accepting liquid cooled motorcycles (such as the V-Rod, now discontinued, which is the best model H-D has ever produced to date). If you want to make power and have reliability you need to be liquid cooled.
One of the features that first drew my attention to the XDiavel was the rear belt, as well as some of the other visual features it has; wheels, gas tank, swingarm etc., etc. The I got reading about it more and talking to guys that have them and learned about the handling, performance and technology in the model.
OK, understood, one belt system is on the H-D's and the other is on the XDiavel. I have had zero problems with my XDiavel S rear belt drive system. Most of my riding is on blacktop with the odd short dirt road experiences. It's a sport cruiser and that's how I use it.

·
Registered
8,461 Posts
So... having never had a chain drive I have to ask... How often does the chain need replacing and how much maintenance is required in between replacing? Lets say a belt is replaced every 75K miles, what would be the approximate operating cost of a chain drive for that same duration?
A chain will never last 75k miles. Typically life is around 30k miles if properly maintained/adjusted.
Know a buddy with a Suzuki B-King...His chain finally snapped just south of 50k miles while hauling ass on the Interstate! He was so lucky bike didn't go down or get injured. Over $2k to repair swingarm and engine case damage though..
I replaced chain/sprockets just north of 20k miles....Parts and labor 500 bucks.

·
Registered
443 Posts
A chain will never last 75k miles. Typically life is around 30k miles if properly maintained/adjusted.
Know a buddy with a Suzuki B-King...His chain finally snapped just south of 50k miles while hauling ass on the Interstate! He was so lucky bike didn't go down or get injured. Over $2k to repair swingarm and engine case damage though..
I replaced chain/sprockets just north of 20k miles....Parts and labor 500 bucks.
Okay, so if the belt needs to be replaced from rock damage only once or twice for the life of the bike then maybe the cost difference equals out in the end. My first belt was replaced at 7000 miles but I've since gone 22,000 more miles without a problem.

21 - 40 of 49 Posts