Ducati Diavel Motorcycles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
(title sp Pulley)

Well, that didn't take long after announcing the recall!!! I was coming off the interstate and took off from a stop sign and quickly lost all forward drive and had a whine from the drive train. Inspected front pulley and found the retainin nut had slipped and a gap was presen between the nut/washer and pulley. I bet the lay shaft and pulley will have to be replaced. Sounds like I wont be enjoying Fall riding season..

Attachments

·
Registered
414 Posts
I don't see how a loose nut allows it to slip on the lay shaft. It's still on the splines. I guess it being loose can allow play causing the splines to wear then acutely fail.

·
Registered
98 Posts
(title sp Pulley)

Well, that didn't take long after announcing the recall!!! I was coming off the interstate and took off from a stop sign and quickly lost all forward drive and had a whine from the drive train. Inspected front pulley and found the retainin nut had slipped and a gap was presen between the nut/washer and pulley. I bet the lay shaft and pulley will have to be replaced. Sounds like I wont be enjoying Fall riding season..
i'm sorry that truly sucks. maybe your dealer can get parts quickly. i know my dealer got one bike with the problem in september and it's on the road last week. good luck.

·
Registered
8,461 Posts
Goddamn...That super sucks to hear about Bud.....

BTW, this is Ducati's very first motorbike equipped with a drive belt, and it doesn't work!

Before they jumped into the fun, you'd think they'd pretest the system (or their supply vendor, whoever), with make-shift machinery...you know, similar to how bed mattress's, aircraft parts, etc. are tested.

http://www.intertek....ttress-testing/

No doubt, eventually it'll get right, but all the bullshit to put up during the mean time....

For your sake, don't let the stealership bullshit you around either, with weeks wiat for replacement parts, excessive downtime, etc.etc.
Pls. take aggressive/assertive/demanding attitude towards Service Mgr/SalesRep, shit like this is unacceptable on a high end motorbike ...Demand a loaner bike! Tell 'em yours was a daily rider to get to work....You have every right to IMO.

All the best.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Same happened to mine and dealer took 3 weeks to change output shaft
The engine will be split and that gray rtf was used on mine everywhere
I admit the dealer did a fantastic job
No scratches nothing out of place
Almost 2000 miles on it and the only things I have to complain are : esitation
at low speed and clunking tranny from n to 1 or n to 2 gear
I been using since my first oil change the raccomended shell oil and ducati filter
I do oil change myself very easy
If anyone needs the torque spects on drain and sump plate let me know
Dude,hope bike will be done perfect.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, they say it will be ready this weekend and all recall mods performed after the engine was reinstalled. They are also installing my Termi while at it for free labor. Can't wait to get back on it and hear it roar!!!

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Very nice! Sucks that this happened, but I'm glad everything worked out!
I'm going to bring some allens and a marker to mark a line from the spline shaft to nut to washer to pulley before I give it a test ride to ensure no movement in the future if they didn't already mark it. After the test ride, I'm going to ensure no oil leaks and all fasteners and cable ties are installed. I'm also going to ensure all accessories work as last time my headlight was left unplugged and only found out when riding at night. I've got to ensure the upmap takes as well by making sure no CEL on dash display and the exhaust servo is removed or doesn't move at rpm if left in place.

Reactions: Chub1962

·
Registered
366 Posts
They should deff remove servo motor as its useless and be hanging out a bit look bad. On mine map upload means no light and nothing on display to say race or anything like they have on some models.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Got my beast back from getting the new output shaft and drive pulley. You can see from the pic below, the original drive pulley had all the splines sheared. They marked the new one nicely and I will check it often. I rode it home from Nashville to Memphis. I got the Termi installed while it was there so I am quite deaf now. Love the roar!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
(title sp Pulley)

This same thing happen to my bike. This is a super serious issue that could Cause loss of control and death. I do a 100mph regularly on my xdiavel. Ducati USA wanted to reuse the output shaft that was clearly damaged. I sent a response to the dealer. "The repair plan described by Ducati in reference to the output shaft is not acceptable. There is no way I going to allow a brand new bike to be hacked back together to make it work. This is my life we are talking about not some bs part. The shafts function and tq specs were engineered to be applied to a undamaged shaft period. Not to mention the bike is brand new! The fact Ducati is even considering a hack repair like this raises serious question about their commitment to the customers safety and quality of the product they project. This kinda thing should be made public.

So in short I do not in any way accept this form of repair.

·
Registered
443 Posts
This is a picture of mine. Mind you they want to just clean the threads up with a dye and reuse it. I am so pissed I spent this much money on a bike and that is how Ducati wants to fix it? What else do they hack together if they let this go?
I totally agree with you on that. Also, why the hell didn't your dealer catch the fact that the recall hadn't been performed? When did you buy the bike?

·
Registered
2,873 Posts
This is a picture of mine. Mind you they want to just clean the threads up with a dye and reuse it. I am so pissed I spent this much money on a bike and that is how Ducati wants to fix it? What else do they hack together if they let this go?
Totally agree. That's a huge fuck no in my book. There's no way they'd be able to repair those threads and safely use the same size drive pulley. You'd be back in less than a week.....

·
Registered
24 Posts
I talked to my dealer and they said they sent out a letter for the recall. I asked why in the world would you think I got it if I never came in yo get it fixed? You would think Ducati or the dealer would be on top of these things making sure people are safe that buy their product, you know being that is a motorcycle and there is hardly any room for error.

I bought the bike late last year, I have about 2200 miles on it. I live in Washington state so riding in the rain is not my favorite thing or else I would have more miles on it. Or maybe the rain saved my butt. I didn't even hear this or feel it. My buddy on his Indian heard it while riding next to me.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts