Ducati Diavel Motorcycles Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really really hate changing the oil on m bike when it comes to those stupid 4mm hex. mine are rounded.

I've tried it all. heating up the bolts, new 4mm sockets, using a star bit. nothing freaking works. i'm going to have to suck it up and just drill the POS out which i absolutely hate doing.

now if i do this anyone wants to give me pointers? do i go with the widest bit hoping to tear the head off the hex? do i go with the smallest? end of the day the goal is to break the little head off right then take a pair of pliers and pull it out? i swear i replacing these with something else like 6 point bolt. thanks!

·
Registered
880 Posts
if you are talking about the oil strainer cover. I simply drilled the tops off and removed the bolt stud with a pie of pliers. I then used socket hex screws (stainless ones) and it's fine

·
Registered
208 Posts
Ouch, I had the same problem, the oem screws seem to be made of butter. I ended up ordering a nice machined cover for the strainer off of ebay that has a rubber seal (no more rtv sealant :)) and proper screws. But I had to work through removing the old ones. Use some heat and try the torx bit with a hammer trick. If that fails then an easy out punch. If that fails then dremel a slot and try with a common screwdriver. If that fails then drill out the head and remove the body of the screw very gently with vice-grips (like the previous poster recommended). If that fails then just light the piece of shit on fire!

Cheers

1 - 4 of 4 Posts