Ducati Diavel Motorcycles Forum banner

Dreaded Fuel Sending Unit Failure

12K views 39 replies 15 participants last post by  wyxdiavel 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
So my fuel sending unit failed. Sensed it was coming, dramatic change in readings instead of a progressive consumption. Then last night started bike showed half tank but I was pretty sure I had filled up last ride and had only done 30-40 miles. Ok maybe ride about 15 miles stop to eat then come back out and she shows red flashing empty symbol...then as I'm riding bouncing between 3/4 and flashing empty. Filled her up only took 1.5 gal to top off.

So going in to have it replaced but I don't have access to non ethanol based fuel in my part of NY so I'm wondering if anyone knows/thinks the Lucas Oil - Ethanol conditioner would help prevent this from happening with the new fuel sender?
edit - 2016 XD approx 6,000 miles

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Yup, just happened to mine yesterday. I was driving with a half tank of gas, all of a sudden the fuel level went to zero, flashing warning light comes on.
2018 XDS, 7700 miles. Turned the bike on this am, gauge shows half tank of fuel. I guess it's just a matter of time before it completely craps out.

#4 ·
Same happened to me yesterday. Fuel light came on I still had a half a tank showed zero.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

#7 ·
Part/Labor about 500 buck ballpark
Warranty should cover it.

Order part replace yourself, save a few hundred.
Not rocket science...Refer to shop manual.
Run it out of gas as much as possible, cuz tank has to be drained/turned upside down to replace it.

#9 ·
so, when you say "completely done", the fuel sensor degrades over time until, what, you can have a full tank and the bike won't run as there is no fuel pickup?

I ask because I think I started experiencing this about a week ago. Fill up the tank and it shows 3/4 full, and never moves....Once I noticed it jumped to full, then back down to 3/4. I reset the trip #2 counter every time I fill up. If I get to 175 miles I know to find fuel. Until reading this thread, I just assumed it was a bum fuel guage as I had with my Softail CVO (until it was patched with a software update) as well as my VROD (and pretty much everybody else's VROD as well :) )

I also wonder if this affects the fuel pickup, meaning, do you need to keep the tank, say, more than half full at all times to avoid the sensor thinking you are out of fuel and cutting it off?

Guess I am wondering if this is simply an instrumentation inconvenience, or can this problem leave you stranded somewhere, with a full tank of fuel?

thanks

Jeff

#13 ·
cool, thanks for the confirmation folks!

I'll get it fixed under warranty next time I am in for oil service or tire install.

#16 · (Edited by Moderator)
LoL Rich! You're right, prolly a super simple repair.
I mean, how really complicated does a fuel level sensor have to be?

Whoever Ducati's fuel sensor vendor is, they must be lovin it right about now.

#17 ·
After reading some of the threads about this and the fact that there is still a problem after many revisions, I wondered if the issue is nothing to do with ethanol but perhaps thermal shock of fresh cold fuel fitting the pcb and causing the solder joints to fracture?

#18 ·
If you own an XDiavel, the unit is going to fail, it's just a matter of time. I have had mine replaced twice. 2016 XDS, 12500 miles. Even though mine is working fine now, I just reset my trip meter every fill up and go by miles not fuel gauge. Also do not top off gas. once the pump clicks off stop. Besides how many miles more are you going to get with a few more ounces of gas? For some reason, topping off fuel helps fuel sending unit fail.

Here is a tip/and tricks. Check out item #5

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2016/MC-10086364-5448.pdf

#20 ·
If you own an XDiavel, the unit is going to fail, it's just a matter of time. I have had mine replaced twice. 2016 XDS, 12500 miles. Even though mine is working fine now, I just reset my trip meter every fill up and go by miles not fuel gauge. Also do not top off gas. once the pump clicks off stop. Besides how many miles more are you going to get with a few more ounces of gas? For some reason, topping off fuel helps fuel sending unit fail.

Here is a tip/and tricks. Check out item #5

https://static.nhtsa...086364-5448.pdf
thanks for posting this. very interesting. I am actually looking at #6, because that is me. I fill up when it's convenient and no doubt I am sure I fill up many times when I have used less than 5 litres from a full tank (and yes, I am one of those that fills the tank to the very top, every time!

according to the doc, it says the sending unit is not damaged and does not need to be replaced, assuming my case is as stated.....I will give the workaround a shot and see what happens.........

thanks again.

#30 ·
Well my fuel gauge finally crapped out completely.
It was working intermittently so on my last fill up, I took a pic showing the total mileage and the gas gauge reading full. 2 miles later, I got the angry red flashing and no fuel reading at all. I emailed the pics to my dealer and he called back saying he'll order a new sending unit. He said it's (another) known problem and the new unit is now made by a different supplier and is supposed to be the fix.
We' see.

#32 ·
He said it's (another) known problem and the new unit is now made by a different supplier and is supposed to be the fix.

Well, if that's what your dealer said, it must be true. They'll say everything you want to hear, just so you'll GO AWAY!

#40 ·
Ah bugger, I bought a 2016 XD ~8 weeks ago and have noticed the fuel guage jumping around. I guess it's the early warning signs of the sending unit failure.

I don't know if it's the shape of the tank, or maybe I just have far more fuel than I think but has anyone in the UK experienced trouble filling at the petrol station? The pumps automatic cut out continuously activates for me. Am I just being a tard and doing something wrong?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.