Ducati Diavel Motorcycles Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
thanks for posting this. very interesting. I am actually looking at #6, because that is me. I fill up when it's convenient and no doubt I am sure I fill up many times when I have used less than 5 litres from a full tank (and yes, I am one of those that fills the tank to the very top, every time!

according to the doc, it says the sending unit is not damaged and does not need to be replaced, assuming my case is as stated.....I will give the workaround a shot and see what happens.........

thanks again.
Yeah I tried that and the dealer reloaded software and it worked for a few weeks but eventually failed

·
Registered
46 Posts
If you own an XDiavel, the unit is going to fail, it's just a matter of time. I have had mine replaced twice. 2016 XDS, 12500 miles. Even though mine is working fine now, I just reset my trip meter every fill up and go by miles not fuel gauge. Also do not top off gas. once the pump clicks off stop. Besides how many miles more are you going to get with a few more ounces of gas? For some reason, topping off fuel helps fuel sending unit fail.

Here is a tip/and tricks. Check out item #5

https://static.nhtsa...086364-5448.pdf
Thats really interesting! Thanks for posting it.

So the software tries to guess how much fuel is in the tank when it's past 3/4 full and less than 1/4 full... No wonder it goes haywire...

You would think it would recalibrate as soon as the float starts to read in the midrange area when the bike is stopped and upright.

·
Registered
8,460 Posts
If you own an XDiavel, the unit is going to fail, it's just a matter of time. I have had mine replaced twice. 2016 XDS, 12500 miles. Even though mine is working fine now, I just reset my trip meter every fill up and go by miles not fuel gauge. Also do not top off gas. once the pump clicks off stop. Besides how many miles more are you going to get with a few more ounces of gas? For some reason, topping off fuel helps fuel sending unit fail.

Here is a tip/and tricks. Check out item #5

https://static.nhtsa...086364-5448.pdf
+1 Alberto...It's also not good to top off gas on autos as well.
Sounds like good advice, I didn't realize before.
See ppl do it all the time.

https://www.youtube....h?v=igE14GMhr5Y

·
Registered
366 Posts
Thats really interesting! Thanks for posting it.

So the software tries to guess how much fuel is in the tank when it's past 3/4 full and less than 1/4 full... No wonder it goes haywire...

You would think it would recalibrate as soon as the float starts to read in the midrange area when the bike is stopped and upright.
Actually a float would work great. I have not taken one of these apart but they seem to be made the same as what we use on aircraft. Without getting too technical, an aircraft uses a resistance fuel probe. The resistance between the internal and outer tube of the probe changes when the probe has air around it compared to being submerged in fuel. The computer then calculates the fuel quantity indication based on the resistance. An aircraft uses multiple probes and backups. Ducati uses one with no backup.

Bottom line, they fail on aircraft too ????

·
Registered
46 Posts
Actually a float would work great. I have not taken one of these apart but they seem to be made the same as what we use on aircraft. Without getting too technical, an aircraft uses a resistance fuel probe. The resistance between the internal and outer tube of the probe changes when the probe has air around it compared to being submerged in fuel. The computer then calculates the fuel quantity indication based on the resistance. An aircraft uses multiple probes and backups. Ducati uses one with no backup.

Bottom line, they fail on aircraft too í ¾í´£
The vids I've seen all show a float with a magnet in, inside a tube, with a pcb which has reed switches every inch or so. Pretty crude and when combined with a software algorythm is also unreliable!

·
Registered
366 Posts
The vids I've seen all show a float with a magnet in, inside a tube, with a pcb which has reed switches every inch or so. Pretty crude and when combined with a software algorythm is also unreliable!
Post one of those videos. I would love to see it. That does seem pretty crude. A resistance probe would work better. An old fashion float and gage would work best!

·
Registered
435 Posts
Well my fuel gauge finally crapped out completely.
It was working intermittently so on my last fill up, I took a pic showing the total mileage and the gas gauge reading full. 2 miles later, I got the angry red flashing and no fuel reading at all. I emailed the pics to my dealer and he called back saying he'll order a new sending unit. He said it's (another) known problem and the new unit is now made by a different supplier and is supposed to be the fix.
We' see.

·
Registered
8,460 Posts
He said it's (another) known problem and the new unit is now made by a different supplier and is supposed to be the fix.

Well, if that's what your dealer said, it must be true. They'll say everything you want to hear, just so you'll GO AWAY!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Download the full bikes parts list from the main Ducati website its free. If you want a bikes full service manual pm your email address
Nice to find the parts list at Ducati. The original part appears to be: 59210241B, FUEL LEVEL GAUGE. At a price of around $ 200.00 USD!!! One concern woudl be - is there a better part? I mean these fail on what seems like a daily basis - has there been a revision to improve quality?
Unfortunately the manual, 2016 DUCATI xDIAVEL S Workshop Manual - does not have any reference to replacing or servicing the fuel level guage. Maybe there is a service bulletin from Ducati since this is common?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Not a service bulletin that I have seen but replacing the sensor is a very simple job and buying a new sensor would be the latest revision one
I will give my local dealer the call tomrrow to see what part (revision) they can get me. Maybe I will try making a video of the replacement with my GoPro... ;)

·
Registered
12 Posts
And here we are 21 months later and my sensor has failed yet again.
I just bought a 2018 w/ 1,400mi sight unseen. Perfect condition except for.. this POS sensor. The dealer offered to diagnose & replace, or send me the part. Seeing the commonality, I'll take the part and save the time & trouble. Ugh..

21 - 39 of 39 Posts