Ducati Diavel Motorcycles Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have purchased a 2012 Diavel with low milage, coming from BMWs it has been an exciting change. However, in the past several weeks of owning the bike I went to a local gas station and filled up the tank. Then attempted to start the bike, there was no response to the dash. It appeared that the bike was dead. Fortunately I was able to contact my local dealer who informed me that I had to enter the pin in order to start the bike. This got it started so that I could ride home. After arriving home I shut the bike down to see if it would restart - no success. I then replaced the battery, not knowing if it had been replaced by the previous owner. Still no response on the dash. I then removed the battery from the key fob (which i had replaced 1 week earlier) and to my surprise the bike started.

I went to a buddy of mine who has the Multistrada and he said that over the past 5 years that he has owned his bike that at least 6 times he has had the same problem... Now for the mystery, every time he had the problem it happened at a gas station.

Does anyone have a suggestion on how to correct this - or why it happens?

Thank you....

·
Registered
278 Posts
I have had that happen a couple of times, in each case I turned off the power, took the fob out of my pocket and placed it on the seat, and powered it back up and it solved the problem. Most of the time I have no issues with leaving it in my pocket.

Only once did I have to enter the pin, but I think that was also a weak battery. I changed it and haven't had to enter the pin since.

·
Registered
8,461 Posts
When bike doesn't initialize via key fob, try this method with key fob or red passive key.

Be sure while either key is placed directly over and touching that semi-circled cover under the seat deck with left hand, then toggle the red button with right hand. I guarantee bike will initialize!!!!

AFAIK even if the key fob's battery is dead, the antenna will still receive the transponder signal from either key, as long as both keys are touching that semi-circled cover and will still initialize, but I could be wrong!!!
All I know for certain, the red passive key works every time.

safe/calm
Don't Hate!

·
Registered
8,461 Posts
Hey Y'all! ^^^^^Check out video above.

Somebody pls do me a favor and confirm Yea or Ney?

Since all I have is the red passive key to initialize my bike. Wouldn't it wouldn't it be cool to know, say if your key fob battery goes dead out of the blue....Can it also function exactly as the red passive key, as long as key fob is touching antenna cover under the seat deck to initialize bike????

TIA.

·
Registered
8,461 Posts
^^^My assumption..... The FOB's reception frequency works very reliable on other side of the globe.
However, that same frequency in the US, especially in urban areas is more utilized by other devices, which causes too much air wave clutter. And why I say that...Seems most folks on forum who have piss poor FOB reception issues live in US.

I lost 2 key fobs because of poor reception...So many times I was forced to remove it from pants pocket and place it next to antenna for it to work.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have purchased a 2012 Diavel with low milage, coming from BMWs it has been an exciting change. However, in the past several weeks of owning the bike I went to a local gas station and filled up the tank. Then attempted to start the bike, there was no response to the dash. It appeared that the bike was dead. Fortunately I was able to contact my local dealer who informed me that I had to enter the pin in order to start the bike. This got it started so that I could ride home. After arriving home I shut the bike down to see if it would restart - no success. I then replaced the battery, not knowing if it had been replaced by the previous owner. Still no response on the dash. I then removed the battery from the key fob (which i had replaced 1 week earlier) and to my surprise the bike started.

I went to a buddy of mine who has the Multistrada and he said that over the past 5 years that he has owned his bike that at least 6 times he has had the same problem... Now for the mystery, every time he had the problem it happened at a gas station.

Does anyone have a suggestion on how to correct this - or why it happens?

Thank you....
The biggest let down is ducatis failer to reconize an issue with the stupid setup/security of there bikes.
What should of happened was a key lock off to shut down the bike as failer between the key fob and system from shutting down and setting batteries flat at 270.00 each and fob batteries replaced weekly because system keeps the bike alive and on standby while key is in range so if bikes in garage and key is nextdoor effectivly it doesnt shut down draining the charge of batteries. Its got to the piont where i need to continually charge or purchase batteries to have the bike avalible when i want it. Even taking out the battery on the fob doesnt work unless its locked off and out of range 3 feet distance would of been fair i live upstairs in a flat and the bike is outside and within 25feet so its continually on. And draining batteries.
And with ten minutes and and app the system is a failer and not secure anyways as i had to google starting without fob when i first got bike and anyone can do that so its a failer on ducatis behalf and the price of the fob replacements should be serverly reduced if proof of opership was provided 250+ fob replacement then 80+ for recode which is a grab at cash not taking care of customers so theyll come back and buy more or again
Im at the piont of selling as im over the stupidty of the system and buying a bike with a keylock as we all know no system is full proof and if a thief wants it or in they will figure it out it human nature.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts