Ducati Diavel Motorcycles Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First post, so hi all...
Always interested in the Diavel, since it first arrived on the scene ten years ago. Finally got the chance to get hold of one.
Not the normal route of ownership though. This is what I've purchased. I'm going to be doing it up over the next couple of months, so i'll be on this site looking for tips and will post a few pics of the re build. And hopefully a video of the finished project In March 2023.
My plan is to do a small tour of the South UK on it, then a longer tour of Europe later on in the summer. And ultimately,
take it across to the USA and travel round there for a few weeks in 2024. All depends on time and how we get on in with the earlier tours.

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive tire Automotive lighting

· Registered
Diavel 1260 Dark
36 Posts
Congratulations on your new toy, best of luck with the work! :)

I don't have experience with gen2 Diavel but looking forward to seeing you bring it back to the life it deserves.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply...
When I got the Diaval back home, i striped all the panels off to have a look see. The impact was on the right hand side, low down.
Damage to the exhaust header the right radiator and panels. the right hand footpeg and break lever. There was also impact damage to the horizontal cylinder which was disappointing!
The timing belt cover and belt was damaged and there was a chunk out of the top camshaft pully as well as a chunk out of the cam cover!
But as i'm going to do a full service including shims, as long as the valves haven't touched the piston then all should good (fingers crossed)...
Can see from the picture that the belt has jumped at least 1 possibly 2 teeth as the T's don't line up!
Next job, order the belts, pulley, cam cover and get some tools.

Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Steering wheel

Attachments

· Registered
83 Posts
I think you may be OK, that damage to the belt in the first photo is probably enough to account for the misalignment in the pulleys, I guess it depends how long it was running for.
Best of luck with it and looking forward to seeing the project pan out, this is the sort of thing I love doing myself. I've managed to put half a dozen damaged Ducati's back on the road now, it's quite fulfilling.

· Registered
2,809 Posts
I doubt the belt jumped any teeth - the T's on the camshafts won't align unless the timing mark on the layshaft pulley is aligned with the mark on the engine cover (as pictured) The intake cam is held under spring tension so the damage to the belt may have caused the intake cam to rotate slightly counter clockwise. Hopefully, both piston and valves are intact
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior Rim

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So...Remove the spark plugs (getting the rubber plug bung out was quite a job)! purchased a crank tool, and turned the engine over. Nothing stopping complete rotation even with the broken pulley and belt in place. Also seems to be good compression, so looks promising. Purchased a pulley locking tool and pulley locknut tool. removed and replaced the damaged pulley wheel. Removed the belts and replaced with new. Checked the shims, only needed one on the vertical cylinder replacing.
The tough part was timing the engine without using any of the marks on the cam pulley wheels. The crank mark was okay as a guide, i found accurate top dead using a depth gauge and a TDC locking tool.
After a bit of research i decided best way forward without purchasing all the gauges etc. was to align the T's as accurately as possible with horizontal at TDC. Not to bad on the horizontal cylinder, but a pain on the vertical as the cam's under a bit of sprung tension.
To get accuracy i loosened the pulley's, which gave a few degrees of play then tighten them back up when aligned.
After a bit of checking then realigning i tightened it all up and used a tuning app for the belt tensioning. Turn her over by hand and all seemed to be fine!
Next up oil filter, fresh oil and compression test!

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Automotive lighting Tread

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Motorcycle Vehicle brake

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Crankset Bicycle part Rim

Tire Wheel Bicycle Bicycle tire Automotive tire

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Light Hood Automotive fuel system

Attachments

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So...Remove the spark plugs (getting the rubber plug bung out was quite a job)! purchased a crank tool, and turned the engine over. Nothing stopping complete rotation even with the broken pulley and belt in place. Also seems to be good compression, so looks promising. Purchased a pulley locking tool and pulley locknut tool. removed and replaced the damaged pulley wheel. Removed the belts and replaced with new. Checked the shims, only needed one on the vertical cylinder replacing.
The tough part was timing the engine without using any of the marks on the cam pulley wheels. The crank mark was okay as a guide, i found accurate top dead using a depth gauge and a TDC locking tool.
After a bit of research i decided best way forward without purchasing all the gauges etc. was to align the T's as accurately as possible with horizontal at TDC. Not to bad on the horizontal cylinder, but a pain on the vertical as the cam's under a bit of sprung tension.
To get accuracy i loosened the pulley's, which gave a few degrees of play then tighten them back up when aligned.
After a bit of checking then realigning i tightened it all up and used a tuning app for the belt tensioning. Turn her over by hand and all seemed to be fine!
Next up oil filter, fresh oil and compression test!

View attachment 112557

View attachment 112562

View attachment 112559

View attachment 112560

View attachment 112558

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update.......... Compression test! will it start?
So the Diavel has new belts, a new pully wheel, new horizontal cylinder cam cover, a fresh shim measure and replacement shim.
Timing checked to the best of my ability with a home made alignment tool. All bolted back together and a new Oil filter fitted. By the way what a pig to get the old filter off! Had to apply WD 40, then heat from a heat gun then, finally, grind a notch in the rim of the filter housing and knock it round with a drift! only after that did the hex tool turn it.
Popped the new battery back in, and carried out a compression test, using a fairly cheap bit of kit with a long rubber tube adaptor. not ideal but I just wanted to confirm that there was decent compression before attempting to fire it up. Because of the length of the rubber tubing going into the cylinder head I wasn't able to tighten the connector on satisfactorily, but still got the following readings.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Gauge Tread
Motor vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Automotive design Automotive tire

Good enough for me to go for a start up!
Freshly painted exhaust back on and with the tank back in place and the gauges temporarily connected. I gave the button the once down push, all came alive. Then the button push....First time start, bingo happy days!
Ticking over well, blip of the throttle and it really growls even with standard exhaust. I'm happy:)
ABS warning light is on, as is an engine warning light. These might need to be cleared, as well as the service mileage reset. Chris Walkers Ducati is just up the road, so a job for them i think?
Next up a bit of panel re paint and refitting then another start up and a test ride!

· Registered
83 Posts
Just checked the owners manual and it is 5km/h before the ABS light turns off (assuming it is showing a steady state, if flashing that's an issue) see page from owners manual attached (from Gen 1, but there's no difference - this behaviour is common to all ABS equipped Ducati's)

Attachments

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just checked the owners manual and it is 5km/h before the ABS light turns off (assuming it is showing a steady state, if flashing that's an issue) see page from owners manual attached (from Gen 1, but there's no difference - this behaviour is common to all ABS equipped Ducati's)
Thanks for the info....I'll wait until the test ride to see what happens, hopefully that won't be to far away now!

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Update.......Its alive!
Despite the cold weather couldn't wait any longer to get out on the road and give the Diavel a trial run out. It seemed to go like it should, not having a bench marks makes it more of a gut feel. But wow it just keeps on pulling oh and for me really smooth around town. Only had it in touring mode but was damp and 5 degrees C.
Only niggle is that the ECU light stays on, to be expected and will need Walkers Ducati to hopefully reset and remove the old stored errors.
New tyres and wait for some decent weather then really see what its all about:)
Wheel Tire Sky Plant Automotive tire
Wheel Tire Plant Vehicle Automotive tire

· Super Moderator
2021 Ducati Diavel 1260 Lamborghini
1,789 Posts
Good work.
Really impressed, you work faster than an average Ducati workshop.:)

• Haha
Reactions: cs363
1 - 14 of 14 Posts