Ducati Diavel Motorcycles Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's my bike in its fully loaded version. In very hot days I take the windshield out (and use a blanket on the headlight if I'll be on the slab for a while). I don't use the tour-pack when my wife isn't with me. I use a solo luggage and remove the passenger seat when I tour alone. So this bike has many versions and I love that.

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Land vehicle

I do 3-4 multiday rides a year, lots of short rides and a number of day-long rides to the mountains and back. I love my bike for it. My wife doesn't ride with me all that often, I'd say 90% of my rides are solo.

A few of my friends all have their deposits on the new Ducati Diavel (with V4). The other guy I tour with rides a Ducati Supersport (he does multi-day tours with me, even did the Iron Butt with me).

I love everything about my bike except the 0-1xx time. I also scrape pegs (or my muffler) on twisty mountain roads. The bike has stage-2, quick shifter and I do use it as a sports bike - as much as it'll allow me to.

So after long rambling, I am wondering how insane it would be to get the Diavel V4? I wish i could keep both bikes but sadly that's not practical, so it has to be one or the other.

Have you toured on the Diavel? I know it's a compromise, but still curious about it.

· Registered
322 Posts
There are two Diavels, the xDiavel and the Diavel.

The xDiavel is closer to what you have with the forward fotpegs, and the Diavel with the straight down pegs.

I have no experience with the V4 and I honestly think it was a mistake to abandon the Twin Engine on the Diavel.
The xDiavel has not come in the V4 configuration yet.

Its hard to say what the new bike is like as nobody has ridden one, but my Diavel 1260s is a joy to ride, the shape of the seat provide excellent hip supports you are kept well in place, the ergonomics are great and I have had no issues going on day trips with this bike, not feeling sore in any way getting off it after a day of riding.
On my previous BMW S1000R super naked, I had trouble standing up after a 2 hour spirited ride, and day trips started off nice, but on the way home I had to starte stretching my legs and wanted frequent stops.
Nothing like that on the Diavel.

I think it's a great touring machine, except from the forward footpegs, probably on par with your Springfield, but a bit sportier.
I test rode a Scout and a Chieftain back in 2016, very nice bikes.

· Registered
248 Posts
I have the xdiavel and a set of bags for it. I have done several multi-day trips on it. But that being said I also just bought an older road glide. It is just way better for long trips. So in the end it depends on the type of riding you are going to do. You could do like me and have both. Just shop used and wait for a good deal.

· Registered
2022 XDiavel Nera & 2021 Streetfighter V4 S
8 Posts
I have a Road King Special, a Streetfighter V4S, and an XDiavel Nera. I've ridden a Fat Boy from Los Angeles to Sturgis, and the RKS to Mexico plus a bunch of day trips and two-up rides with girlfriends. I'm more in line with Tonyt's perspective, but maybe a bit more black-and-white. If I were going on a multi-day trip for mileage greater than about 150 miles per day - pretty much anything I had to pack for - I wouldn't even consider either Ducati. I would automatically opt for the Harley. Our touring bikes are purpose-made for that. That said, I purchased my motorcycles in the order listed in the opening sentence. Had I bought my XDiavel first, I might not have another bike. It's an amazing blend of cruiser and sport bike. The only performance "issue" for the XDiavel is that, because of the cruiser riding position, if you really accelerate hard (when you're schooling Teslas), the bike's power pulls you back on the seat and your feet back on the footpegs to an unsettling degree. I've ridden a Diavel on a track - also amazing. Great handling. Utterly planted to the track and road. I've only kept the Harley for two-up riding and touring. If you get it, I'm sure you'll LOVE the Diavel V4, but every time you go for a significant or overnight ride, you'll wish you still had your touring bike.

· Registered
50 Posts
I have been in your shoes a while ago, I was moving from the Harley and looking for a daily commuter, settled for the z900 ABS.
I have had a chance to go on a long tour of a friend's X Diavel S, the tour was not that long but It was around 1500 miles, so here are my thoughts.
I must say that the Diavel has a nice ride and is reasonably comfortable though not as much as my z900, I would have gone for the Diavel if I got another 10 G sitting in my pocket and afford another Naked street bike.

If you prefer to travel with luggage and a pillion then it would be a big no-no for you. I put the throw-over Viking street saddlebag which I can use for the z900 as well but had trouble putting it on the Diavel due to its short rear seat. I found the Diavel a short tour single-person bike due to its riding posture and the lack of aftermarket or OEM luggage support. Don't berate me, I know there are options available but I am talking here about a set of saddlebags, and trunk bags, with the pillow on.

I got tired after just only 300 miles, My back was aching and my legs wanted a stretch, My z900 is way more comfortable in this aspect, I have clocked 500+ in a single go with just only the fuel breaks. Felt vibration in the handlebars and foot pegs on High Revs. IDK if there was something wrong with that specific machine or if it is a normal behavior
The Wind pressure is too much, though it can be reduced with the windshield but not as much as your current ride. Stability was good, I have no problem maneuvering it through the corners even at high speeds.

In the conclusion I would say riding this bike was a pleasure to ride only if you have a short daily commute and if you are not really into group long tours.

· Registered
71 Posts
Sorry I'm late to the party :)

I have a Road King for the wife and I to ride together. We take day trips and cross country trips on it and its great.

I got my XDiavel about 6 months after the Harley and I love it too. Its shockingly comfy - I've done 500 mile day trips with ease. Rather than dump even more $$$ into the hog, which would never result in Ducati acceleration, I decided to get a whole 'nuther bike. I am very happy with that decision :)

The Ducati is a solo only affair, since it has effectively zero passenger accommodations. If you girlfriend can fit on that thing, you're truly lucky.........

As others said, the pillion is so tiny it can't even hold luggage. To me, the bike is definitely comfy enough for long rides, but you'll have to figure out the luggage situation to get very far from home.

So I'll +1 having both bikes. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts