Ducati Diavel Motorcycles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
My first post, but have been browsing for a while. Since buying the bike I've wanted to make it flat black since it came with 4 different colors and textures. I decided on a 3M wrap instead of paint, just in case I changed my mind. Only thing left is the front fender, which is going to be a PITA. I also hacked the rear hugged by 6 inches and made the shape match the seat cover. Your comments are welcome, good or bad.

·
Registered
566 Posts
I like flat Black. Very nice job!!!

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
Very nice mate

Looks like our Diavel Dark contingent is growing

·
Registered
440 Posts
Looks sweet!, I think it would look even better with the front fender done & maybe a blacked out diavel emblem with the letters outlined in silver on the scoops!

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
I think it looks hot. A bit like the scheme of the nwe matt Panigale. Just wondering how the extra layer will hold up to wear and tear.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Very nice. I really like the hacked hugger. I'm considering this. Was gonna eventually get a carbon fiber one but starting to think it might look like to much cf, i kinda like the difference. Did you use a jigsaw and just sand it smooth?

·
Registered
556 Posts
i like it, and it would look even nicer with matt black bars and header pipes as well.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
It's cool. I bet many won't know what it is either....

Reactions: mintpaul

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Very nice. I really like the hacked hugger. I'm considering this. Was gonna eventually get a carbon fiber one but starting to think it might look like to much cf, i kinda like the difference. Did you use a jigsaw and just sand it smooth?
@roadrash7 - I taped off the shape I wanted then cut near the line with a scroll saw. Then progressed from a rasp, to file, to sandpaper to get the final shape and finish. Finally I hit the cut edge with a heat gun, can also use a lighter, to burnish the edge to remove the sanding marks and get that factory finish.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Looks really nice. Congrats!

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
For the look you are trying to achieve I think its looks great.... Not my cup of tea though...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Wow, very nice job. Can you share what specific 3M wrap you're using?
Thanks, Viking. I used 3M 1080 vinyl wrap. Not sure if I can list the vendor, but it's carried by multiple shops online. The little fake grill inserts in the duct covers were done with 3M di-Noc carbon fiber.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I Think it looks awesome, any details you can share would be great....(!)
Sure, I hope GiL doesn't mind me posting his questions....

Did you do the wrap yourself?

-Yes I did. This was the first time I've used the vinyl wrap, it was much easier than I expected. I watched several videos on youtube of people wrapping cars and bike parts then wrapped the seat cover first since it had the fewest complex curves.

Is it something that can be done at home in the garage or is it difficult and best left to a professional?

-I think that if you're handy and have access to a heat gun it can easily be done in your garage. It took me a total of about 4 hours to get this far.

Did you have to take of the tank cover to wrap it? Or we're you able to squeegee the film into all the creases with it mounted?

-For the larger parts it's easier to wrap the larger items while still mounted on the bike. Doing this frees your hands to stretch and shape the vinyl. Once the majority of the part is wrapped you need to remove the part to wrap 1/4 to 1/2 inch of under the part to prevent it from peeling. The seat cover and big tank cover were done this way. The other parts were small enough to remove and wrap either on my lap or the work bench.
There was acutally not much squeegeeing due to the complex curves. It was mostly smoothed out with my oversized thumbs and a microfiber rag. For the screw recesses I used the closest size socket to push the film into the recess after some heat from the heat gun.

New or painted panels would cost more then a thousand bucks and this wrap could be a lot more affordable.

-I looked at replacing parts or painting, but for only $50 worth of vinyl and a half day in the garage, I didn't think there was much debate necessary.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts