Ducati Diavel Motorcycles Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, just before xmas I was starting the bike and it cut out - I noticed on the dash that the gear indicator was jumping from Neutral to 2nd Gear. I turned it off and pushed it back and forth a little and started it again with no issue. Same happened again last week - is this an electronic issue of a clutch problem? I plan to call my local bike guy but wanted to check out if anyone is familiar with the issue on here. It is a 2011 Carbon will 11k miles. I will also try and attach video..... thanks for any advice or help/information

· Registered
83 Posts
More than likely it's a faulty gear position/neutral sensor, part # 55241612C they are around £90-100 you will also need a 16mm oxygen sensor type socket or a modified socket with a hole in the side to pass the wire connector through. It's worth following the wire back to the connector just to make sure it's connected properly and not corroded/full of water or whatever. (the sensor is on the back of the crankcase and it's countersunk into the case with one wire coming from it. (see attached pic)
However, sometimes it's just that the sensor needs recalibrating, usual symptoms are wrong gear displayed/flickering gear position display etc. This is the procedure to relearn the gears: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2016/MC-10086369-5448.pdf I believe you have to go through this procedure after installing a new sensor.
Also attached is a photo of a modified socket so you can see what I mean.
It's not an uncommon fault on Diavel's and Multistrada's in particular.

Attachments

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
More than likely it's a faulty gear position/neutral sensor, part # 55241612C they are around £90-100 you will also need a 16mm oxygen sensor type socket or a modified socket with a hole in the side to pass the wire connector through. It's worth following the wire back to the connector just to make sure it's connected properly and not corroded/full of water or whatever. (the sensor is on the back of the crankcase and it's countersunk into the case with one wire coming from it. (see attached pic)
However, sometimes it's just that the sensor needs recalibrating, usual symptoms are wrong gear displayed/flickering gear position display etc. This is the procedure to relearn the gears: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2016/MC-10086369-5448.pdf I believe you have to go through this procedure after installing a new sensor.
Also attached is a photo of a modified socket so you can see what I mean.
It's not an uncommon fault on Diavel's and Multistrada's in particular.
Brilliant help - thanks a mill!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts