Ducati Diavel Motorcycles Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
I was thinking of adding some bright LED daytime running lights to the front of my 2012 Diavel Carbon (and maybe do a flashing brake light too).
Does anyone have experience with these with Ducatis? I have a buddy who swears that the adding 2 DRLs create a light triangle that keeps cars from pulling out or turning in front of him.

Ideally I'd like to install them myself - I'm hoping it should be pretty straightforward to tap into the existing wire.

Color or brand? Mounting position? The only forum info I can find is like 6-8 years old and probably outdated.

Thank you!!
Greg
Colorado, USA

·
Registered
37 Posts
Note, I’ve been riding for 40 years. I don’t believe running lights in the front can make car drivers see us any much better than a headlight only. They are simply too close to each other and can’t make us look big enough to get their attention like a car. Case in point, my Honda Rune weighs 900 pounds, is 13” longer than a Diavel, lots of chrome, has running lights, and cars still don’t see me sometimes. My personal practice is to ride in daytime with the brights on and remain vigilant and defensive. For the tail lights the Diavel is somewhat unique. I’ve spoken to several companies that make brake light modulators and none work for the Diavel. The reason is because is the brakes and turn signals are in the same light module. The bike ECU sends a signal to the brake lights and (I’m told) a different voltage for the turn signal which allows the turn signal to work while braking. I’m not certain that is exactly what they told me but brake modulators don’t work on the Diavel. Just today I spoke with Signal Dynamics, one of the leading companies making brake light modulators and they explained why they won’t work on a Diavel. Hoping someone proves them wrong and provides product details for all of us after they install the modulator.

·
Registered
2019 Ducati Diavel 1260s
74 Posts
Check out CustomLED.com Don't know about a plug and play one for the older models but they do make a universal one, some connections to make I guess.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I bought the appropriate kit from CustomLED and it didn't work. Spoke to the owner at length and he even sent me a whole new kit. Would not work. FYI, no mods to the lights have been done on my bike. He was stumped. Returned both kits for a full refund. Great guy but it didn't work.

·
Registered
943 Posts
I bought the appropriate kit from CustomLED and it didn't work. Spoke to the owner at length and he even sent me a whole new kit. Would not work. FYI, no mods to the lights have been done on my bike. He was stumped. Returned both kits for a full refund. Great guy but it didn't work.
For the newer model 2019+ diavel 1260S and the 2016+ Xdiavel they have a kit that is fully compatible. Don't think there is a plug and play kit for the older diavel, like what the other guy said, there is a universal kit with three wires that you can tap into to get the brake modulator to work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
37 Posts
I won't believe the three wire tap into the system would work because there are two sets of wires; one going to each of the tail lights. Open to being proved wrong ;)

·
Registered
943 Posts
I won't believe the three wire tap into the system would work because there are two sets of wires; one going to each of the tail lights. Open to being proved wrong ;)
Lol, take both brake wires on either side and connect to the magic strobe modulator(red) and tap the black wire to ground. Where you cut the wire to tail light just connect to white wire off modulator, easy as pie

·
Registered
37 Posts
If somebody shows me they have done that with success I will be a believer. If it were that easy the people at signal dynamics would’ve sold me one of their units and told me to do that.

·
Registered
943 Posts
If somebody shows me they have done that with success I will be a believer. If it were that easy the people at signal dynamics would’ve sold me one of their units and told me to do that.
Not sure who signal dynamics is but I get my stuff from custom leds. I was actually going to use the modulator for my wife's triumph street twin gold line since this is the only kit that will work. Good luck with your bike and hopefully someone will be able to help you out on your diavel

·
Registered
43 Posts
Thinking about doing the same thing to my 1260, What I'm thinking of doing is... since I don't have my rear license plate light hooked up I was going to use that connector and hook it up to my front turn-signals, then relocate the turn--signals to the upper forks using the " Rage360 Turn Signals" kit.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just a thought... if different voltage is the problem, throw it through a relay with 12v out the other side to power the modulator. The LED'S should run comfortably on 12-24 volts. The 12v comes straight off the battery, fused close the battery.

If not, run another relay from the 12v modulator back to the brake voltage, supplying brake voltage power from a wire jumping from the original feed from ECM/BCM to the switching side of the relay.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts