Ducati Diavel Motorcycles Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Last night whilst out on bike the clutch started to have a notchy feel in the lever about 2/3rds in.

It felt like the master cylinder rod where it contacts the lever was shy of lube and it was skating across the rod end. Further inspection reveals I dont think this is the case its more down the slave/slave rod to pressure plate end.

Seems to be only when warmed up as over-night the lever is smooth as babys bum. But 1 hr after home actuating the clutch gave a squeal/sqeek at the slave end when pulling clutch lever in and releasing.

My guess is the slave to pressure plate rod is expanding in its bore and with lack of lube its binding????

Anyone had that and confirm.

I will take to dealer this week and pull slave and start investigating. Hope its not a full pressure plate remove and refit just to lube rod.

Could be slave piston binding.... any issues with slaves dodgy and needing replacing??? I could remove just the slave and check lube between actuator rod and slave piston?

My baby is broken ... only done 1600 miles! Sigh.... Bugger!

71Rider (Anthony)

·
A White Carbon is NOT an AMG
2,421 Posts
you can pull the pushrod simply by removing the slave cylinder, no big deal, the diavel has a slipper clutch and although mine is silky smooth, on my dry clutch bikes they both get a "click" feel through the lever on down changes which is the slipper working, (dry clutch though).

If you can hear a squeak as you squeeze the lever it can't hurt to pull the slave and grease up the end of the pushrod, i doubt you would hear it if it was on the other side of the bike against the hat that sits in the pressure plate bearing, it's a wet set up so should be well lubed on that side.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thx Crop! I thought the rod could only be pulled out from the pressure plate side? Not familiar with these Diavels yet...

Will pull the slave today and see if lubing it helps. Been smooth as until last 25 k's...

71Rider (Anthony)

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok... Pulled the slave cylinder off and the pressure plate actuator rod out and checked for burrs or binding marks on the rod... all looks ok.. O rings seem fine as well.

Grease amount at slave piston/rod end seemed enough but I out a bit more on the rod tip and re-installed.

Lever still makes a slave squeak when clutch lever nears the handle bars if you slow the movement... if you pull clutch in at normal rate its smooth. Bike is cold though... so next step is to warm bike and go for a ride and see if it gets notchy at the lever again?

I'm betting the slave is not quite right and needs replacing. Machining tolerances might be at fault giving a large bore in the slave (at its I.D. tolerance limit) and the slave piston is at its minimum O.D. giving a larger than usual piston to bore clearance? Result is its slightly cocking giving notch feel exacerbated when hot as ally slave expands its I.D. even more when at operating temp? My theory at this stage anyway.

All the noise seems to be at slave end not master...

More investigation....

71Rider(Anthony)

·
2,421 Posts
you could also bleed it, if there is any air that has managed to rise to the master but not escape into the res it may not be disengaging fully. especially if it only does it when warm

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah ok! I'm thinking it cant hurt so I might bleed it before going any further. I want to bleed front brakes as well... they pump up ever so slightly so there's a fraction of air in them somewhere.

71Rider(Anthony)

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Went for a 1.5 hr run this morning and clutch has never felt better. No notchyness at lever and I swear its a little easier to pull in and very smooth. Seems to be a little more seamless on gear changes but that could be getting used to fine clutch point.

Maybe just that bit of extra grease and clean of rod and refit of slave did it???

See what happens now with more miles...

71rider (Anthony)

·
2,421 Posts
did you bleed it? might be worthwhile doing that as well, just to be sure it's actuating fully.

You will have to buddy up to other dealer for your warranty issues now too eh?.......

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, bit if a worry until warranty is over! I'll be chatting with you shortly!!!

71rider

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thinking might be the end of our modern Ducati days. I don't suffer fools or slack work at dealerships very well!!

Not much choice left....

71rider(Anthony)

·
2,421 Posts
lol, seriously mate, if you thought V2 was the best of a bad bunch you didn't look very far!

Darryl at gold coast ducati is a really good mechanic, Jeremy runs the show and does a great job too. I can't speak highly enough of them, i live 20 minutes from tennyson yet habitually rode over an hour to spend my cash at Ducati Gold Coast, evidently, so did plenty of others..........

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thx Crop. I have an enclosed bike trailer as well... be easy to drop there and drive home! Pick up next day...

71Rider (Anthony)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.