Ducati Diavel Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys
has anyone had to remove the cam covers on the 1260 Diavel? I want to replace mine with a carbon set and wonder how easy it is to remove them, I ask because YouTube show their removal on the XDavel which seems an absolute nightmare because half the engine needs to be stripped down due to hidden bolts etc... although I believe the XD has metal covers and the 1260 Diavel looks like plastic?....help!
Fireballxl5.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
.... although I believe the XD has metal covers and the 1260 Diavel looks like plastic?.....
Yes, I can confirm that the covers on xdiavel are metall and as I can remember from test ride the Diavel 1260 it seems to be some kind of hard plastic.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I'm literally about to take my covers off in the next couple of days.

I'm going to be cutting mine out and putting in a clear polycarb window to reveal the movement. I was initially going to get rid of them altogether but my local dealer/mechanic advised otherwise, when he told me the cost of fixing it if it somehow got something caught in the timing and skipped a tooth. Hahaha..

I believe its a pretty simple job. Belly pan off to reveal one hidden bolt and all the others are just located around the cover. It's just hard plastic. Depending on your Euro sound compliance, some covers have an extra couple of bits underneath it. In Australia, it's just the cover, but Ive seen a blown up parts diagram that shows a sound deadening material behind it, then a bracket (or something like that) behind the sound material.

Hopefully that helps.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi G...... yes thanks as still not received the replacement carbon cam covers from Ilmberger, it’s now 7-8 months from when I ordered (and paid) for them.... Decided to cancel if they don’t arrive by the end of the month...not a happy bunny!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Right. So after I took the cover off, I have now realised it's not as easy as I originally thought.

I managed to get the bottom section of the cam cover off without too much issue. But getting it back on was a nightmare.

I took the right side belly pan off and then removed all the screws surrounding the case. When I tried to take the top cover off, I couldn't find all the screws. There might be one hiding under the tank cover but I'm not too sure.

Was an absolute prick to try and get the main cover back on.

But got it on in the end.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I often find the parts catalogue exploded view drawings helpful when looking for fasteners and clips.

looks like 3 bolts holding the top one in place.

https://www.bike-par.../513/3408/0/513
Yeah, I saw that too. Buyt for some unknown reason, it's not the easiest to get off. I tried and tried, and couldnt remove it.

Also, the bolt that sits in the middle of that top section connects to a metal bracket that pivots away when you take the screw out. Took me 5 minutes to work out why the screw wasn't going in.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well had to cancel my order for carbon cam belt overs with Ilmberger..waited 9 months!...unfortunately I’m only half way with the carbon replacement pieces

·
Registered
45 Posts
Well had to cancel my order for carbon cam belt overs with Ilmberger..waited 9 months!...unfortunately I'm only half way with the carbon replacement pieces
I was in the same boat as you. I originally ordered 6+ pieces including the swingarm piece. I ordered and waited right on 1 year thru Ducati, even the dealer told me to cancel cuz they just could not fulfill any order. Ilmberger have contract with Ducati to make the DP CF pieces and they are really backed up with that already due to Covid so they just couldnt fulfill their own orders.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts