Ducati Diavel Motorcycles Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reposted when I saw a UK forum page - DOH!

Hi Diavelers,

I am a newbie Ducati and Diavel owner (well will be in a couple of weeks or so) I have committed to a Diavel Carbon black with a full Tagliatelli exhaust (I think that's what the guy said) , deposit made and just waiting on some paperwork for my old bike [Kawasaki z1000] if I am allowed to mention that possibly dirty word on here.

Have been on another forum for 6-7 years or so and love the interaction, advice and camoradary of same bike owners.

I test rode the Diavel back in Sept last year and its been a grindin at me ever since so just had to get that itch scratched, this one seemed to be a real bargain but I guess when I have it you guys will put me straight on that - cant wait til I pick it up (I need DVLA to hurry my number plate retention on my old bike so that I can trade it in).

I have a couple of minor issues to investigate with the Diavel -

1) it has a tail tidy with a standard plate so you cant see the darn rear lights! - I have some experience of smaller number plates as my wallet will recall, anyone else had to modify the plate due to this issue?

2) The Tagliatelli xorst burst my ear drums first test ride so not bothered about me any more - but has anyone had "old bill issues" with the noise levels?

Looking forward to getting to know everyone - I will post pics when I have it.

Regards,

Johnno
aka Dave

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Hi Johnno, welcome to the forum and congratulations on your Diavel purchase!

Can't comment on whether you got a bargain as you don't mention the price you paid!

I don't have a tail tidy on mine but do run with a slightly smaller plate - I think it's 7 x 5, I have never had any problems with old bill but if you go silly small they will spot it and pull you, mine is only slightly smaller and is difficult to spot on the move.

I've not heard of the exhaust you mention unless you are jokingly referring to a Termi, I found it too loud with both baffles out but perfect with one in and one out!

Hope this helps!

rbd914

·
Registered
664 Posts
Welcome Johnno, I've got Macaroni pipes on mine, they sound great but look a bit cheesy! Like Rob, one baffle in, one out, no law probs as yet, though I have just put both back in recently as we're embarking on a riding trip in France and not sure if Le Plod will be a little more vigilant.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi rbd914,

I was going to wait until I had a picture so people could "grade" my purchase but it is a 62 plate, 800miles on the clock, registered in Dec 12, with the Termi, Tail tidy and Datatag and I am paying £13000 - and yes sorry was my "attempt" at humour as it is a Termignoni.

Ihave been nicked twice with a "special plate" but as you said I was taking the piss, first time got away with it as the bobby ran out of VCN (vehicle condition notice) papers........ my lucky day but as he said someone else's bad day as he would replenish his supply.

Last time I got £60 fine with a "show plate" on the Ace Cafe Brighton Burn Out day - I had a more realistic plate (7x5) in my bag but no leeway from the copper that day - on a day like that it had to be done.

Rgds
Dave

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Roadking - Macaroni, nice one nice to see another "old school" sense of humour - I am gonna like it here.

I would definitely get into the habit of wearing ear buds on the Diavel I think - my Zed had Akropovic slip ons which were reasonably loud with baffles out - never stopped for pipes and never really had to wear anything.

I guess its a case of "playing it by ear" when I get the bike......boom get in there!

·
Registered
257 Posts
Welcome Johnno,

It's not so much that you need the ear plugs for the Tagliateli's when you are on the bike, more for when you are following those noisy buggers Rob and Alex! I'll be taking a large supply with me on our trip to France!

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Hi Johnno, I would say you got a bargain at that price, well done!

The plate I run is a 7 x 7 as compared to a legal 9 x 7 so not obvious!

However it does have 666 on it!

RBD914

·
Registered
100 Posts
Welcome and Congrats on the purchase - had the tail tidy on mine but have replaced it with standard apehanger for the France trip to avoid the Glaswegian kiss from Alex - (he had a bad experience following someone on a Diavel with one fitted!!!)

7x6 on the tailtidy works fine and gives full view of the lights - just beware of who is behind you and catching the missiles being produced from that skinny tyre

·
Registered
35 Posts
Welcome Johnno - £13k sounds like a good deal with the termi system and only a 6 month old bike, I'm ( unfortunately ) thinking of selling my Cromo and was hoping to get about the same with a £1000 of extras on.

If you fancy a meet up in the Cotswolds or something give me a shout, but be quick !!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Welcome Johnno, I fitted a tail tidy and had to trim the plate down to fit between the lights, also run termi's without baffles and so far not had any trouble. I've ridden past police in town and they didn't bat an eye but it only takes the wrong copper on the wrong day. It's a risk worth taking though.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Still posting in two places - this UK area and the main global one........ here's an earlier reply - do you other UK Diavellers generally only post in the UK area?

Hi again chaps,

I have had a good try and test with the existing Evotech Tail Tidy with a 7.5 inch plate and still not happy that I cant see the rear lights that good - I have for now gone back to stock rear wheel number plate mount [haven't connected the LED as it wont need an MOT for another 2.5 years anyway].

I am contemplating a "Ducati Werx" hinged plate holder but don't think its worth the £108 they want for it - so more contemplation to be done, also may end up doing my own custom job.

I owe the board some pictures of my baby but to be honest it hasnt been stationary long enough since I got it......lol

It truly is the bestest, most thrilling bike I have ever cocked a leg over.

·
Registered
172 Posts
welcome to the forum johno001 and congrats on the Diavel purchase. I'm using the evo tech tail tidy on my CR with a 7x6 plate like Runton Red does and all i did was use velcro to place it on and keep moving it down and walking back a few paces and checking until the lights were fully visible then marked the holes from behind with a marker pen before measuring it up properly before drilling the holes. Worked for me and never had any plod problems. I also cut a longer slot in the centre section of the assembly so the grab rail pin locates further down the tail tidy to get it sitting closer to the rear seat unit as i never take a pillion, might be worth considering??

·
Drop Bear Slayer
8,437 Posts
Nice johno.
I love how the CBs looks fast even when they're standing still.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi again, the number plate holder is the "Competition Werx" one, I have installed it now and waiting on a new number plate to complete the job.

One issue I have and it could be the result of being a fat barsteward but when testing the bounce of the bike when seated the number plate made contact with the hugger.

Anyone else using this bracket had that problem, I am thinking of modifying the hugger a little now

never ends does it

PS will post some pics when I have it just right

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well I have sorted my Rsend now; put some though into it.

After investigation (me and son bouncing on bike in the garage with wifey holding a video camera - very scientific) the competition werks plate holder was only bottoming out when I had my son on pillion so the answer came to me.

I had both the original rear grab rail and the one with the Ermax Tail tidy, so I have modified the receptacle for the grab rail on the bike so that releasing the grab rail allows it to completely come out - I have adjusted the wiring on both the (now fitted) competition werks grab rail and the Ermax Grab rail with quick fix bullet connectors.

So in normal use (just me) I have a nice tidy bottom and when I plan to take a pillion I simply swap them over (five minute job) simples.

As you will see from the pics it does mean havng the under seat plastic cover removed but this is no biggy and it allows a tiny tad more storage room.

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts