Ducati Diavel Motorcycles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Banned
1,425 Posts
Hi,

I just came back from Lake Como area and realized that I need Ohlins front forks (already have a shocker), full termi exhaust and a better rider seat.
All in all this will be quite substanctial investment and I'm facing a dilema here.

I have 2013 carbon red with about 21k km, due to a second service soon. I tend to ride very aggressively, so there is a lot of pressure on engine, clutch and breaks.
Basically the dilema is whether investment in above stuff worth to make now or better sell the bike for 2015 model and gradually add features over time?

How many more miles would I be able to ride in aggressive mode past 21k km ? (I do regual services/check ups and mantain the bike condition in good shape).
I guess my main concern is the engine (things like chain/sprokcets/breaking discs are reasonable cheap and can be replaced). Is there a limit on how long the engine can last until it needs a rebuild or smth?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
these are mechanical parts, no two engines are same. so no one can predict how yours gonna behave today or in future. just ride it as u normally do and fix it when its broken. its a motorcycle. always expect shit to happen.

·
Banned
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
you just realized this now? i realized i needed all of those things as soon as i bought the bike. add $7,000 to the price of the bike -- you'll need to add this to a 2015 model as well.
Well, I'm slow to realize obvious things.

I was learning how to handle the bike first. Now, I realize I need the tech stuff, as it really simplifies the handling.

·
Aspiring to grace and serenity
6,726 Posts
You can do a lot of repairs (or buy a lot of upgrades) for the amount you would give up in swapping out your young bike for an even younger bike. 21k is practically new anyway!

·
Registered
19 Posts
The other far cheaper, but still 90+% effective alternative is
1) take forks to a good suspension shop to have them rework oil and tuning in front and spring in back
2) slipon exhaust - Zard, Termi SS, Arrow, Competition Works...
3) ECU re-flash

Termi full is beautiful to many (I'm actually not partial to it), but ridiculously expensive for what you are getting. An alternative slipon + ECU will probably run slightly better (or same as Termi) due to more comprehensive changes in newer flashes. 2015 is buying you HID and a slightly less crappy tune - definitely not worth the switchover cost. Pre-2015 prices are dropping badly so don't be too optimistic on your trade-in/resale value. I picked up a 2011 Carbon w/ 3k for 1/2 of new

·
Banned
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The other far cheaper, but still 90+% effective alternative is
1) take forks to a good suspension shop to have them rework oil and tuning in front and spring in back
2) slipon exhaust - Zard, Termi SS, Arrow, Competition Works...
3) ECU re-flash

Termi full is beautiful to many (I'm actually not partial to it), but ridiculously expensive for what you are getting. An alternative slipon + ECU will probably run slightly better (or same as Termi) due to more comprehensive changes in newer flashes. 2015 is buying you HID and a slightly less crappy tune - definitely not worth the switchover cost. Pre-2015 prices are dropping badly so don't be too optimistic on your trade-in/resale value. I picked up a 2011 Carbon w/ 3k for 1/2 of new
Thanks! interesting points.

Regarding 2 and 3. Looks like the price of Tune boy + slipon is not far away from full termi package.

·
Registered
19 Posts
An openflashtablet tune is $700 and their SS Termi slipon is $900. An Arrow carbon is < $600 and CompWorks is reasonable as well. Full Termi is $3500, though maybe cheaper some places. However, these are U.S. prices. I was local to openflashtable so I paired that with an Arrow for $900 combined total. The ECU was absolutely critical as the bike was truly unrideable in town before - now it just has "character"

·
Registered
227 Posts
I went with the openflash combo as soon as it came out. must say its worth it 'cause:
-critical weight removal with the bonus of better looks.
-overall enhancing the riding experience.
-the tablet is interesting for the simplicity to add torque and its plug&play behavior (my key requirement).

Whats missing:
-I still want a rearset solution that delivers on the track use.

-rear ohlins.

-some vendor to come up with a half fairing that looks like a mix between paul-smart and futuristic cafe racer...of couse has to be CF. ;)

I do not see the gen2 adding all of the above, so i dont need one.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Banned
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I went with the openflash combo as soon as it came out. must say its worth it 'cause:
-critical weight removal with the bonus of better looks.
-overall enhancing the riding experience.
-the tablet is interesting for the simplicity to add torque and its plug&play behavior (my key requirement).

Whats missing:
-I still want a rearset solution that delivers on the track use.

-rear ohlins.

-some vendor to come up with a half fairing that looks like a mix between paul-smart and futuristic cafe racer...of couse has to be CF. ;)

I do not see the gen2 adding all of the above, so i dont need one.
when you say you went with openflash combo, you mean tablet + Termi slipon ?

·
Registered
917 Posts
Tuning your bike is probably the best thing you can do to your bike. With a good tune it will just be a nicer bike to ride regardless of how fast you are going. Suspension is probably your next best bet.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Thanks! interesting points.

Regarding 2 and 3. Looks like the price of Tune boy + slipon is not far away from full termi package.
I don't think you will get a full termi for under $2000, tuneboy $600, openflash termi slip on $900, + freight for both still under $2000
Full termi @$3500, plus freight, plus having dealer install up map and install of exhaust
There's at least $2000 difference

2015 Diavel Dark, sports screen, grab rail kit, back rest, DP panniers
Darwin NT Australia

·
Registered
227 Posts
I have my point of view (do respect others).... The full termi melts and Cracks (google that) it hits the pavement at interesting lean angles... Half of its cost is because of the oem ecu, but it does sounds and looks great.

Termi Race slipon used at openflash has Absurd weight reduction, better construction all the way, brute sound, better quality headers thru using oem's, its the same model for the s1000r/rr, also has a titanium version and looks great. Costs way less.

I purchased a ducati racing ecu (same as full termi) new for peanuts @ebay, saved the oem and used the Openflashtablet to give me more range (got plenty map options now).

Even liking it, In my mind after researching properly the full termi did not had a chance.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Aspiring to grace and serenity
6,726 Posts
That Termi slip on is not designed for the Diavel, but adapted to it. Please correct me if this is not true.
OFT refers to it as a custom slip on. I suspect that means it's the S1000R model with a custom connector pipe... And a price about $350 higher than the BMW unit.

But I could be wrong.

Shiv? What say you?

·
ɹǝqɯǝW ʇɹǝdxƎ
4,312 Posts
OFT refers to it as a custom slip on. I suspect that means it's the S1000R model with a custom connector pipe... And a price about $350 higher than the BMW unit.

But I could be wrong.

Shiv? What say you?
That is my understanding as well.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.