Ducati Diavel Motorcycles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
so i want to use my bike for commuting each day to the train station (we've had great weather in new england this summer) but my train station doesn't have any rental lockers. i'm trying to come up with some solutions for storing my gear each day- and then being able to pick it up when i return at the end of each day. i'm sure i'm not the first person to have this issue so i'm hoping there is an answer out there from somebody, somewhere. here goes:

1. leave it with taxi dispatcher at the train station - requires a payment to them each day (a few dollars) but the problem they leave the station area around 7pm each day; i sometimes don't get back until late and can't always predict my schedule.
2. find a nearby business within walking distance to the station that will hold my gear - similar to "1" above.
3. find a locker in nyc. hard to believe but there aren't storage lockers at grand central or nearby. i checked and there is a luggage/storage store but it's in the wrong direction from grand central.
4. figure out some kind of storage bag or equipment and afix it to my bike with my helmet and jacket secured inside. i'm concerned about vandalism. maybe just a little neurotic.
5. start a business that provides this service to other riders and become its first customer. town is really uptight and don't want to deal with the politics. LOL.

any ideas will be greatly appreciated. i'm thinking that 1 or 2 above are the best solutions but looking for some feedback.

thanks in advance.

monty

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
I don't get it clearly...are you going with Diavel to train station, leaving the bike there and taking the train to get to work?
And you are worried about gear? I would never leave my Diavel out of eyesight.
Especially when fuckers (thieves) are noticing pattern that the bike is parked there each day for several hours.

Why don't you use Diavel to get to work?

·
Sir Fred the Flatulent
10,145 Posts
NYC is very limited in parking Spasky.
Ducatis are still a niche bike over here, so I doubt they are a big target.

@monty:
A deal with a coffee shop en route may be your best bet....or a back pack,

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
I with spasky, find somewhere secure to park and store near work. or leave the bike home.

No way would I leave my bike at a train station every day, unless it was a cheap scooter.

Buy a cheap scooter they have underseat storage.

When I ride to work the bike gets locked up in the warehouse.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
yes, I'm coming from my perception, I can just imagine how it's in NY...nevertheless my bike is parked under camera with security guy and you can not entrance without card permission.
And I still see it from office. Eyes of a hawk.

I use backpack for laptop and using closet in office for rain suits, shoes, leather jackets...
From my town to office is some 60-70km (one way) so in summer days I don't even need backpack for clothes. They are quite liberal regarding suit code.

Back in time (secondary school) I used moped for drive to train station and even then I agreed with train officer to keep it in office (otherwise it would "disappear" in a week) in exchange for few beers.

·
Drop Bear Slayer
8,437 Posts
Yeah, I agree with Hoon on the cheap scooter idea.
Or get a rack and attach a hard top box to it. I'm assuming it's nothing really valuable that you want to store? Just some bike gear???

·
Unprofessional Diavelist
1,154 Posts
I would look at riding to work and finding a nearby monthly parking spot. For a motorcycle, how much would that cost? $200/mo or much more?

If $200/mo or so it would be worth it, since you were willing to spend a few $$ a day anyway for the train station storage, which might end up being $100/mo. So for a little more your bike is close to you, you get to ride more, and can store the gear at work.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
everyone,

appreciate the feedback. i think the answer is to find either (1) a garage by the train station to park- must have adequate security to protect the bike while i head into nyc or (2) get another bike/scooter to use for commuting to the train station. traveling to/from nyc and finding adequate parking in nyc just isn't practical; it's worse than leaving it unattended by the train station. in nyc automobile drivers don't respect motorcyclists. not one of my buddies who rides talks favorably about taking I- 95 into nyc. they all say it's a nightmare and that you're taking your life in your hands. really thankful for all the input. sound advice.

monty

·
Aspiring to grace and serenity
6,725 Posts
Could you just put your stuff in a bag and take it to work and back?

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
I agree you should avoid leaving it at the train station. It is not only that someone would steal it but unfortunately there are too many people around that like to vandalise nice things. Just kicking the stand out will cost you dearly. I would be far more worried about someone vandalising your bike than your gear.
But when you find somewhere safe to store it, there is a wire loop under your seat and you hook that through the hooks under the seat to form a small loop of wire hanging down. You attach a combination lock to it and voila... you have somewhere safe for your bike helmet to stay with your bike.
p.s. no rude comments about the squashed insects on my helmet, that's what happens when you ride at night around here.

diavellock 001 (600x800).jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Take the gear with you. Get a helmet bag with handles.
Or lock it to the bike. I even do that with the jacket, get a long chain or wire with lock, run it through the arm of the jacket and lock it onto frame of bike.
Really, I wouldn't leave anything at a train station each day that you can't afford to loose. You can secure it, but nothing is going to be perfect. Even a locker can be jimmied.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I've had the same problem as you mate - how does the bike and kit fit into the routine. It's workable though, although it might require some compromise. Thoughts are:

1. Find a friendly bar / restaurant and give them your breakfast business in return for holding a stash of kit... If you're going to pay, get a coffee and a pastry for it, and to them it's looking after a customer. Just need to use a bit of warmth & charm to get most people to help you out in this world.

2. Adapt your gear. I've got boots that look & feel like shoes (Vitesse, a French brand), Kevlar jeans that I can slip armour into, etc. It means all I need is a helmet bag and I can wear bike clothes to work, and even at work if I fancy. I also keep a few bits at work so I've got some other bits to change into. Once it falls into a routine it's very natural

3. Join a local Gym. Get fit, leave your kit, please the wife. What's not to love?! (Or join a chain so you've one you can use locally but can then use the shower room / lockers I the branch near the station too).

You can get things like pacsafe steel mesh to help secure luggage but I wouldn't go that way. People who care to steal care to spot routines too, and any tampering will probably cost you more in damaged bike parts than it would to simply lose the kit they're after.

My advice though, never leave your lid on your bike. Too easy to steal/bash.

·
Sir Fred the Flatulent
10,145 Posts
I got a better idea................move............fuck the big city............FREEEEEEDOM!...........

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thanks for the additional advice everyone. so i found an indoor parking garage a block away from the train station- has a security guard onsite 24X7. said he would look after the gear. $10 for the day. i like the gym idea- it'll keep the women happy too so it has side benefits. ;))) the cable/lock idea is simple and brilliant. with respect to leaving the city-fuck, that's why i started my mobile app/software company; i try to avoid the city as much as possible. unfortunately, need to go into nyc every so often to pay homage to the investors. hahaha.

really appreciate all the thought that went into the ideas. if anyone is ever in the ny/ct area, let me know. we can go for a ride and i'll get you lunch.

monty

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
"in nyc automobile drivers don't respect motorcyclists"

So where in the world do they?
you on bike scooting through traffic, they in cars stuck in traffic!

at least here in Oz mostly they are not shooting at you for whatever is pissing them off.

BTW what is your commute time on average?

·
Drop Bear Slayer
8,437 Posts
Actually Hoon, in Italy they do respect riders.
The traffic just moves over to let bikes filter pass, and that's at ANY speed.
Also, it's expected that all bikes will filter through to the front of the traffic lights to let the cars bunch up more to give a better chance of them getting through the next green light.
I think just about every driver there has ridden a bike or a scooter there sometime in their life, so they respect other riders.

·
Sir Fred the Flatulent
10,145 Posts
"at least here in Oz mostly they are not shooting at you for whatever is pissing them off."

C'mon Hoon...yer watchin' too much American TV...they'll run you over first....especially on I-95.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts