Ducati Diavel Motorcycles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to have the Zumo installed under the roadster screen as I do not really like the RAM mount units. Ended up moving the top display and mounting the Zumo under it. This works very well, I have now a better view of the speedometer and good access to the Zumo screen. I lifted the screen a bit using four posts with 5 mm threads.

Here a couple of photos of the finished installation.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Ok You gotta tell us more...

Reactions: Blwnh2

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK, here some more info. The top display is easy to remove. First take remove the four nuts from the front of the unit. Slide it out as far as the cable allows. Unplug the cable (there is a locking latch at the base of the connector). The display is attached to the plastic housing with three M4 screws. After removing these screws the display comes off.

I bought a FatBar Handlebar Mounting Kit similar to this one. Drilled four holes and tapped the clamps with M5 thread. These four holes are used to mount an aluminum support plate onto which the GPS and speedometer are mounted. I used 10 mm high rubber spacers between the clamps and the aluminum plate. Otherwise the Zumo will hit the lower display cover. These may also provide some vibration isolation.

I drilled holes with the Zumo hole pattern to the bottom of the aluminum plate and three holes to the top with the Ducati speedometer hole pattern. I used some scrap aluminum to make this support plate. I will get a proper plate done with laser cutting, with this experiment I wanted to see that everything fits.

The four posts used to lift the screen are 15 mm high nearest to the handle bar and 12 mm high at the front. This tilts the screen slightly and gives more space for the speedometer.

The GPS is wired to the connector inside the headlight cover. There is a thread about that somewhere in this forum.

Very easy really. I spent most of the time searching nuts, screws and spacers which I dropped inside the bike during the fitting!

Attachments

·
Registered
177 Posts
What a job! Well done, looks great!

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
How does raising the screen slightly affect wind protection/Noise????
From where did you get the bracket???

·
Registered
556 Posts
That is a very clever mounting solution. If only I had a workshop and tools to make one myself (and skills)...dammit.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thats a good question, perhaps more or even less wind?!
Sorry about my late reply, lost track on this one. The raised screen is maybe a bit better than the one in the original position. I can ride comfortably with a 160 km/h cruising speed on motorways. The highest speed I have tried with the raised screen and Zumo installed has been 230 km/h. No problems with the bike stability at that speed, runs like on rails.

I made the bracket myself. I will be getting a proper bracket made, laser cut and powder coated. I can order few extra because the cost of one piece is the same as the cost of five. I will get these done some time in January-February (being too busy with work at the moment). If you want one please let me know.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Inspiring! Thanks!

·
Registered
107 Posts
What posts are you guys using to raise the windscreen this 15-20mm?

Reactions: Shamone
1 - 20 of 31 Posts