Ducati Diavel Motorcycles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear fellow Diavellers and sympathizers,

After a hard days work I look forward to riding my Diavel back home regardless of the weather b'cus it put smiles
on my face. But this day of London rush hour will hunt me for ever. A lady driver turned from a side road without due attention onto a dual carriage road. Amongst other riders I was obviously first to get off the lights so fall victim. "BANG" to the side, tossed in the air onto the driver window and tarmac got the rest of me.
Got up hurriedly in shock, did not break a bone :thanksbut was bruised and was taken to hospital next. My pride and joy was damaged badly to the frame. Due to the head-on impact the front wheel touched the belle pan area (battery compartment). Bike dropped on its side so bar end, lever and clutch pedal, seat cowl, air vent all damaged. Not sure what else. I am not 40 yet but l convinced my partner this is my riterement bike so £13,500 gone in seconds. Could someone help me repair my pride and joy? And if anyone has parts for sale, l will be interested. PM me please. Guys keep your eyes on the road!!!

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle

Car Wheel Land vehicle Tire Vehicle

Attachments

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Glad you're okay man. I'm surprised that isn't considered a total loss. However, if it's a rebuild I'd suggest going with Ohlins since your forks are toast.

·
Registered
197 Posts
My heart goes out to you. Happy nothing bad happened. From the pictures it looks like other bikes were there that witnessed the event. Wouldn't her insurance have to cover since she did not respect your right of way?

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Bummer mate, hope you are ok.
was she insured? are they going to payup?
sounds like are planning to fix it yourself?
so I guess you will be hitting Ebay pretty hard.

·
Banned
1,727 Posts
I'm glad you're ok to be talking about it, and not from a hospital bed. What was the other driver thinking ? ? ? I too, am hoping insurance will cover it for you, or otherwise you will need to search for parts.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My heart goes out to you. Happy nothing bad happened. From the pictures it looks like other bikes were there that witnessed the event. Wouldn't her insurance have to cover since she did not respect your right of way?
Thank you all for the support. Yes her fault completely and all those bikers were my witness. Its a total write off by insurance but my Mrs. has put me to the test to repair it because she is emotionally attached to the vin number l suppose. A technician want to repair it but the quote is mad that getting a used bike is worth it but l have no choice.......

·
Registered
101 Posts
Gutted for you mate but at least you're basically in one piece still. Did 10 years commuting in London and got punted off one evening on the A40 elevated section, sliding across three lanes of traffic on your arse in the dark was interesting but came up all in one piece. Bike was totalled though.

Only had basic third party on that one back then but the traffic officers were really good at help my insurers get the money off the mini cab that drove into the back of me whilst we were in a line of traffic doing 50!

Ask who is the investigating officer, there will be one if there was an ambulance called. They will help get you the full details and get you back on the road quickly.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Gutted for you mate but at least you're basically in one piece still. Did 10 years commuting in London and got punted off one evening on the A40 elevated section, sliding across three lanes of traffic on your arse in the dark was interesting but came up all in one piece. Bike was totalled though.

Only had basic third party on that one back then but the traffic officers were really good at help my insurers get the money off the mini cab that drove into the back of me whilst we were in a line of traffic doing 50!

Ask who is the investigating officer, there will be one if there was an ambulance called. They will help get you the full details and get you back on the road quickly.
Granca,

Wow! you must have gone through a lot then 50mph. Well l count myself lucky. Thanks for the information. Very helpful

·
Registered
101 Posts
Yeah, it was an interesting one watching bumpers and headlights as you slide between moving cars. Insurance got me new leathers and lid as well so all ended ok. Not sure if it hadn't been wet if my cheap leather would have lasted the distance as they were very very thin in a couple of places and my lid looked like it had been attacked my an angle grinder! Bi was young and flexible then, hate for that to happen now!

Riding along minding your own business it doesn't take much of a nudge on your rear tyre at 50 on a wet road to flick the bike on its side, luckily it low sided.

But keep smiling and the met police were really good and amazingly helpful and very pro bikes. Even told me on the next bike to have a pipe that was as loud as possible to make more sleepy people know I was there :)

Best of luck!

·
Registered
443 Posts
Thank you all for the support. Yes her fault completely and all those bikers were my witness. Its a total write off by insurance but my Mrs. has put me to the test to repair it because she is emotionally attached to the vin number l suppose. A technician want to repair it but the quote is mad that getting a used bike is worth it but l have no choice.......
glad you are ok and walked away relatively unscathed. TO me a badly bruised up bike will never ever be the same. Maybe suggest to you missus that a new vin number may be better luck. If insurance is paying, go all out on a new bike, zero out of pocket for you.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Agree. If insurance will write tt off, get a new bike. I never fully trust a vehicle after it has been in a major smuck.
A little fender bender is one thing but if this is close to where they are debating writing it off, urge them to get you a new bike.

Good to hear your body was relatively unscathed.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Glad to hear your ok.

Sorry to be negative but I wouldn't bother rebuilding it if you can get it replaced under the insurance.
Parts arnt generally easily available and you will experience delays waiting for stuff, also you will most likely find the frame is bent which will give you vin number problems if you change it.
Rebuild will turn into a long term nightmare.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Glad you're ok. Do the smart thing and take the money and buy a new bike. Parts availability and the cost of individual parts vs. new bike doesn't make financial sense.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Ok first you need to get a new frame. This will come with a new VIN number and V5C (log book), Basically the new frame is a motorcycle it will have a registration number.
Take all the parts off your old bike and put them on the new frame you have now created a new motorcycle with its own VIN and Reg numbers.
You need to get it MOT'd then your good to go.

I think you will suffer long waits getting parts out of Ducati but if you are prepared to take this project on theres no reason why it can't be done.

You will end up with a bike thats special to you but you can't keep your original vin number you could transfer your original registration number onto the new bike.

You will have created a bike where if you use a second hand frame the vin numbers and engine numbers won't match this will put potential future buyers off if they check it. I doubt you will find a good used frame for this model anyway its too new.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ok first you need to get a new frame. This will come with a new VIN number and V5C (log book), Basically the new frame is a motorcycle it will have a registration number.
Take all the parts off your old bike and put them on the new frame you have now created a new motorcycle with its own VIN and Reg numbers.
You need to get it MOT'd then your good to go.

I think you will suffer long waits getting parts out of Ducati but if you are prepared to take this project on theres no reason why it can't be done.

You will end up with a bike thats special to you but you can't keep your original vin number you could transfer your original registration number onto the new bike.

You will have created a bike where if you use a second hand frame the vin numbers and engine numbers won't match this will put potential future buyers off if they check it. I doubt you will find a good used frame for this model anyway its too new.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
WOW!!! Buz, that is very informative. Really appreciate this soo much. Kindest regards. Bless

1 - 20 of 21 Posts