Ducati Diavel Motorcycles Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everybody I just want to say Im a Proud owner of a Ducati Diavel Carbon Black!!! Bought it from a member here,
jkkfam89

Great guy! Got to meet him personally and he's a pretty funny American! Anyways i just wanted to post this Forum because I imported this bike from the USA into Canada.
Now I've bought a couple of bikes and cars from the US and imported here to Canada. Roughly 4 or 5 in tottal. So I know my stuff pretty good, I did Check the RIV list to make sure that the bike was allowed into Canada and anything 2002 and over Ducati is allowed. When I bought the bike, Paid the RIV fees, paid taxes and brought it home I contacted Ducati for a Date of Manufacter since the sticker was peeled off the frame for cosmetic reasons. Ducati Italy called me Back by phone! WOW! I felt special! To basically give me bad news.... They said that they cant tell me the manufactuer date and cant give me a recall clearence letter!!!!!!! They said that they know that the bike is American and they Also knew that I was In Canada!!!
So she goes on Telling me "I'm so sorry Mr. Br***a but we cant help you, you have to take the bike BACK" This is after I told her that the bike is sitting in my Garage! So this is what I've learned: If the bike is a 2008 and up, Ducati will NOT ALLOW the bike to be Imported! The RIV Canada allows it but Ducati says NO.
So I made some phone calls to deallers in Toronto.... First Dealler says "Sorry cant Help you"... Second Dealer says " Wow you screwed up, you should have looked into it before you bought it. But if you pay me $500 I can do it for you" At this Point I was like "OK Lets Get It done!!!"
Before I rushed My self into it I ended up Calling a nother Ducati Dealer closer to me ( 2 hours away instead of 4 hours to Toronto) and right away he says Cant help you. So I Told him that theres a dealer in Toronto That says He can do it but its going to cost me $500 bucks and I have to Bring the bike out there for him to "Check it " out. So this Dealer was suprised and said "Let me see what I can do for you" So he asked me for the RIV Info, The last 6 digits of my VIN and said It might cost me $300 and I said sure.>>> 10 minutes later RIV sends me an email stating that the process is complete and its ready to take it to Canadian tire for Inspection!!!
I was so Happy to hear that! And the dealer was awesome! They actually gave me the info that Canadian Tire Needed from the Stickers like California emissions specs, Manufact Date!!! Weight of Axles....he was very helpfull!!! Guess where im taking my bike to for service???
So My point is: IT IS POSSIBLE TO IMPORT A DUCATI FROM THE USA TO CANADA!!!!!
If anybody needs info or tips to go thru what i did you must send me a message thru private. Not sure if we are allowed to put names of Business here in this site.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Great outcome, but I still get pissed when I see dealers taking advantage of Canadians (or anyone for that matter) legitimately importing bikes or cars. 300 bucks to look at a f****** computer screen and submit some BS application?
I recall a class action lawsuit against BMW years back where they refused to help Canadians importing cars from a dealership 300m across the border (the US side BMW dealer was MUCH more expensive for the same model).
BMW was charging thousands of dollars to "Canadize" the cars - utter BS.
They pull that bullshit to offset their local losses because you get the same car/bike cheaper by doing some groundwork.

Glad you got it sorted mate. Enjoy the bike.

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
Mingosuzuki
Welcome to the forum. So glad to hear you got thinks handled and now can get to the important part. Enjoying the bike !! I'm surprised the previous owner didn't keep the frame stickers. I peeled mine off but put them under the seat on the frame hidden from view.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hey, was your diavel used? Can you give me a break down of all the fees associated with this import? Did you have to pay duties, if so, how much?
Thanks!!

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Welcome.

I bought my bike new in Oklahoma City. Shipped it to the border and imported it myself since I live very near the border crossing.
The dealer did a print out of the recall service bulletin right off the Ducati computer network and faxed it to RIV. They emailed the Form 2.
Crossed the border, paid GST, took it to Canadian Tire for the inspection and had it on the road with BC plates that afternoon. Simple and painless.

Unfortunately that dealership has closed. I've heard Ducati dealers closer to the border are more reluctant to deal with Canadians but I don't know for sure.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts