Ducati Diavel Motorcycles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Banned
1,425 Posts
Thanks! It's packed here in August, the busiest time of all. Im just trying to keep ppl outside of photos

Anyways, spent the whole day in Dolimites juggling in triangle between Cortina, Corvara and Canazei.
Some of the most finest Alpian mountain passes here: Pordoi, Giau, Falzarego.

Agordina

Passo Falzarego

If you have a single day to ride in Dolomites, dont hesitate and go to Pordoi. That's the best mountain pass for Diavel. Both sides (from Cortina and towards Canazei are super fast and feature lots of hairspins).

Passo Pordoi

·
Banned
1,425 Posts
3rd day started pretty much as a crap.

It pissed all way from morning. So I decided to experiment and took a small Strada Provinciale road to hide from the rain. The road led from Dolomites into Trento region. You can say that Dolomites are Austrian, but once you start moving into mainland Italy, you see the changes. The architecture is becoming more traditional Italian.

You can even find European Kangaroo here

The weather was pretty shit today

Still, Diavel scored some good looks

Dolomites are just awesome

San Pellegrino mountain pass - pretty average

Cant remeber the exact sequence of events, but Passo Rolle is awesome and you should defo try it out.

·
Banned
1,425 Posts
The gem of the day turned out to be Passo Manghen. It's a single file road that you gotta know how to ride to make it alive (fuck yea, I love EU for the fact that if you're not careful enough you gonna die and no one will give a damn)

After Dolomites I took a head towards Como via Trentino. Thats a completely different set of sceneries.

So Im staying tonight at Riva Del Grada.

·
Banned
1,425 Posts
So Riva Del Garde turned out to be an extremely boring touristy town (in addition to be packed by German tourists) so I deicded to head north towards Passo Di Gavia and Stelvio.

Cursing along the lake

Passing Lago Di Ledro

Madonna di Campiglio

Passo Di Tonale just before the Gavia

Passo Di Gavia climb is a single file road. All local Italians make 2-3 beeps going into the turn on the cars

Road on the top is pretty shit and unrideable on high speed, but the scenery is awesome

·
Banned
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Next was Stelvio Pass. I dont know why so many people crazy about it, but most famous 48 switchback climb has extremely bad tarmac condition.
You basically dont enjoy it much on a motorcycle. But, the climb from Bormio side, even though doesnt have same nnumber of hairpin turns, is much faster and has better surface.
So I went there instead.

This part is scenic and stuff, but the road surface is shit.

Bormio is a nice little town. If you ever bump into a crappy weather at Stelvio, stay here for a night.

Next was a Tax Free town Livigno. Pretty big town, filled with clothes and cosmetic shops at altitude of 1800m.

Near by lake

Next was Como region. Lake Como

Got to Varenna to take a ferry to Belagio

Belagio from the lake

·
Banned
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Next morning going westwards into the Switzerland. Ferry to Cadenabbia.

St Gotthard mountain pass has 2 roads. An old stone road that hasnt been resurfaced since ancient times (it's literally made of stone) and a modern highway.
A modern one is basically a race track high up in the mountains, extremely wide. So, decided not to take the old road to save the tires. It's unrideable beyond 20mph anyway.

Old stone road

St Gotthard lake

After that went towards Davos area. Surprisingly enough discovered there two very good mountain passes:
Flüela Pass and Fuorn Pass. Excellent surface, high speed roads.

Back to Italy via 3.3km long Munt la Schera tunnel.

·
Banned
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So the journey ended on top of Stelvio Pass (3rd ascent on this trip) . Decided to hit it on the weekend to see the fun and people.
It's extremely crowded place on Saturday provided the weather is good. About everyone tries to get to the top.

After that I turned towards Jaufenpass, which I forgot to photograph. It's extremely fast mountain pass and a gateway to the Alps from Austria and Germany. Lots of inbound motorbikers on the weekend.

Then was Innsbruck and a trip back in the van to a rainy flat London.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.