Ducati Diavel Motorcycles Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seems like most of the posts I read here are about how bad the XD is and all the trouble people have with them. I thought I would post a positive review on this bike. As you probably know from my other posts in the general section, I am a long time HD owner of Softails and V-RODs. i sold my V-ROD when I bought my XDS, in fact. At the 2500 mile point I have had 0 issues with this bike. I fully expect to which is why I purchased the 5 year, 0 deductible warranty. I have a 2016 so it's the first year of a brand new bike which is asking for trouble, and it's Italian, which is also asking for trouble from a reliability standpoint (!)

This bike has exceeded my expectations in every way. To start, the looks are, well, it's Italian, right? Incredible lines on this bike. I can't go anywhere w/o folks clamoring around this bike asking about and admiring it. Interestingly, people ask me the most about the performance of the machine. i suppose they see the DUCATI on the tank, and the reputation screams performance. Although I was disappointed that it's not available in Ducati red.

The performance is breathtaking, for me at least. I have never owned a high performance street bike. The V-ROD was my only measuring stick, and while I have a soft spot in my heart and always will for V-ROD's, the XD surpasses it in every measure except comfort. The acceleration of this bike can be downright dangerous if you don't use the throttle control that's between your ears. The race-inspired motor hates running below 4k and barks when I mistakenly do. The run from 7k to redline is an E-Ticket ride for sure. The sound of that exotic engine is intoxicating. It's what has prevented me from getting a Termi. I can't bear to hide that engine sound as it is spooling up in every gear.

Then handling is simply amazing. It's 125 lbs. lighter than my V-ROD and it shows. Flicking this bike from side to side through S curves is to simple to do with very little resistance even under open throttle conditions. That meaty 240 rear Pirelli grips like glue powering out of corners. I took it to a track day at Mid-Ohio a couple of weeks ago, and even though I was pushing myself and the bike hard, I never, ever felt a loss of grip. Occasional peg-scraping was the only downside and even then, I was on the very edge of the sidewall of the tire, so I think that's about all the bike has.....WOT on the back straight is still something I think back on and smile about....This bike truly does it all-fantastic handling and straight-line speed that will make the majority of sport bikes take notice.

The array of electronics on this bike are mind-blowing. I have not had to use the cornering ABS yet (hope I never will), but it's nice to see that this relatively new invention is on this bike. It's nice moving between SPORT and TOURING mode. Wow, that SPORT mode is like taming a wild animal compared to the relatively sedate feel of TOURING mode.

If you have not tried DPL on this bike, you owe it to yourself to when you find a non-populated stretch of road. This bike REALLY needs Ducati's quick shift with DPL being on the bike. The hardest thing for me, besides holding on during a DPL run, is getting it into 2nd gear !

The only downside for the XD is the comfort. That stock rear suspension is bone-crushing (well, at least for a big guy like me). No amount of fiddling with adjustments got it to work for me. I had a Nitron R3 installed on the rear, and life is so much better now. I dialed the bottoming-out problems out, and am working now to fine tune the suspension. Even with the Nitron, this suspension is tight everywhere. I don't know why Ducati calls this a cruiser. To me, cruiser implies long distance comfort. I can't be on the XDS more than an hour at a time without stopping and stretching, and to give my butt a rest. You can feel the vibrations everywhere: seat, bars, pegs. The bike really works over this 55 year-old body for sure, but with performance like this, I'm willing to pay the price of a hot tub soak every night and Advil :). working to get myself into better shape so that I can ride this bike for years to come.

·
Registered
8,461 Posts
Enjoyed the review. Thanks for sharing.

May I suggest your next mod? Paint that bitch Ducati red!
Wasn't aware red isn't an option on XDiavel...Why not, just why the fuck not!!????BLASPHEMY!!

Like Ferrari, red is brand's default color.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Review update: I am in NC right now with the XDS riding the Tail of the Dragon and the other incredible roads around here. The XDS absolutely eats up the pavement here. Now it can't touch a fast street bike in experienced hands but it's the next best thing. There were two riders both with Panigale R's who zipped by me like I was standing still. I only knew what the bikes were as they stopped at the overlook and were there when I rode up. It's almost embarrassing how much attention this bike gets. It draws a crowd everywhere I stop. A guy who was riding an HD Ultra offered me $250 to ride the XDS down the Dragon...seriously ! i also found out how good the M50 binders are. I was riding the Dragon late this afternoon, came around a corner onto a short straight and a black bear ambled down the embankment on my left and crossed the road in front of me. Got the bike stopped with no problem about 10 feet from the bear. It looked at me and kept moving across the road. Scared the crap out of me. My first thought was, "what if it stops in the middle of the road right in front of me"?This bike continues to impress.

Wish I had a GoPro mounted to my helmet like a lot of riders here do. That would have been some video capture

Reactions: Oneup008

·
Registered
392 Posts
Thanks for the nice review. Long range comfort is definitely a challenge on the Xdiavel but can be found (partially) with lots of experimentation and tweaks. I laughed at your description about shifting gears under acceleration cause I've had the same experience. Ha ha I hope no one was watching.These forward controls are not ideal for drag racing are they.

·
Registered
8,461 Posts
The only colours available from the factory are Black or White
Only more so I'd be the first kid on the block sportin a metal flaked RED X! Plain Ducati red would look too cool to!
Why be normal?

safe/calm

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Only more so I'd be the first kid on the block sportin a metal flaked RED X! Plain Ducati red would look too cool to!
Why be normal?

safe/calm
I am seriously considering this. I was bummed the XD does not come in Ducati red.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
You know I saw a Diavel Strada for sale awhile back. It was painted red with white corsa stripe. Description said it was ordered special from Ducati. Didn't mention at what cost. But I'm sure they would be happy to custom paint one for a price, maybe for just one BitCoin!

·
Registered
8,461 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts