Ducati Diavel Motorcycles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
I love my Gen 1 Diavel, but have to say i'm getting sick of the issues. Every time i take it to the dealer, it's not long before it has to go back!! They have no courtesy bike so it's a complete p.i.t.a

12 issues in 2 years 18,000 miles (29,000km)

Rear Tail Light dimmed
Exhaust heat shield loose
Wiring loom to dash No 2 (speedo)
Temperature sensor (done with wiring
Dead Battery
Steering lock failed
Front discs + rotor
EXVL Warning - New servo cable.
Reservoir, brake and clutch
Head Bearing
Number plate mount recall.
Brake reservoir AGAIN - (pending)

Anyone else experienced this many issues???

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Gen 1 with 34,000km. Sidestand recall and brake reservoir bubbling.
Nothing else...nada...zero.
Hammered the bike on road and track since new.
Most reliable and fun vehicle I've ever owned.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I have a 2012 with 19,000 miles on it, out of which 17,000miles i have put on in the last 18months. I ride it very hard, daily, track, wheelies. Flipped it, slid it, was sideswiped on a highway. Do most repairs myself.

Had a few of your problems:

Heatshield cracked (replaced myself $20)

Steering locknever worked since the day i bought it (used with 2000miles) btw if anyone has any ideas why it does not work i am all ears. Not that i am missing out on anything but a bit of extra security wouldn't hurt.

Few blown fuses along the way (fans , and something else i forgot)

O2sensor error- $50 (both) replaced it myself.

Waterpump leak- approx $20 ducati bond fixed myself.

Dead battery- easy fix (i took mine out recharged it, its good for now)

Had a wiring issue also with dash, wires got broken ( 5 out of 7) spliced, reconnect, secured. Havent had any issues for the last 5000 miles with them.

Throttle cables, replaced them twice! Once broke them after a flip, second time housing got torn. $25 fixed it myself. (know a short cut)

Oil cooler$250 (replaced self) made a hole in it after landing the bike down very hard after a wheelie. (Would not have happened if the dealer had secured the bottom tray that is holding battery, oil cooleretc. They simply forgot to put a bolt in and the second one was half way loose.... after valve adjustment 2 days earlier )

But that's a whole different story about my dealer, i had more and more disappointment with them lately......

After valve adjustment they left 5! Fairing screws out, completely forgot to screw 2 long bolts in that are holding radiators and the fairing together! Didn't secure the bottom tray. Didn't fix antifreeze leak that i clearly pointed out to them when i dropped the bike of they said it was fine (had clearly visible leak).

When i came back they insisted that its my breath valve leaking and said 6 hours of labor x $100 plus $100 for new breather valve. Ripoff!!! It took me 3 hours if that and $10 in new O'rings and gasket. (Btw nothing was wrong with oil leak cause angle when doing wheelies).

In addition to that when they put the head light back on rubber bushings popped out so i got the bike back with out them. Total cost of this awesome service $1500!!!

And all you NJ guys know that "awesome" dealership, the only good thing is the staff is really nice there....

Sorry for the ramble just needed to vent this again to people that will understand me.

·
Aspiring to grace and serenity
6,725 Posts
Gen 1 (2012), 13000+ miles. Zero problems.

·
Registered
8,461 Posts
Yuk! That sucks....Sorry to hear about all your issues Bud....

Mine?
15 Carbon Red, just south of 16K miles:

Both brake reservoir caps starting to leak

Warped rear brake rotor, which feels like I'm pressing down on an electric foot massager over 100mph.

Completely unreliable POS key fob

I'll have the leaking reservoirs and warped rotor addressed under warranty at 18K service interval.
Other than that, happier than a pig in slop!

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I have a 2012 with 19,000 miles on it, out of which 17,000miles i have put on in the last 18months. I ride it very hard, daily, track, wheelies. Flipped it, slid it, was sideswiped on a highway. Do most repairs myself.

Had a few of your problems:

Heatshield cracked (replaced myself $20)

Steering locknever worked since the day i bought it (used with 2000miles) btw if anyone has any ideas why it does not work i am all ears. Not that i am missing out on anything but a bit of extra security wouldn't hurt.

Few blown fuses along the way (fans , and something else i forgot)

O2sensor error- $50 (both) replaced it myself.

Waterpump leak- approx $20 ducati bond fixed myself.

Dead battery- easy fix (i took mine out recharged it, its good for now)

Had a wiring issue also with dash, wires got broken ( 5 out of 7) spliced, reconnect, secured. Havent had any issues for the last 5000 miles with them.

Throttle cables, replaced them twice! Once broke them after a flip, second time housing got torn. $25 fixed it myself. (know a short cut)

Oil cooler$250 (replaced self) made a hole in it after landing the bike down very hard after a wheelie. (Would not have happened if the dealer had secured the bottom tray that is holding battery, oil cooleretc. They simply forgot to put a bolt in and the second one was half way loose.... after valve adjustment 2 days earlier )

But that's a whole different story about my dealer, i had more and more disappointment with them lately......

After valve adjustment they left 5! Fairing screws out, completely forgot to screw 2 long bolts in that are holding radiators and the fairing together! Didn't secure the bottom tray. Didn't fix antifreeze leak that i clearly pointed out to them when i dropped the bike of they said it was fine (had clearly visible leak).

When i came back they insisted that its my breath valve leaking and said 6 hours of labor x $100 plus $100 for new breather valve. Ripoff!!! It took me 3 hours if that and $10 in new O'rings and gasket. (Btw nothing was wrong with oil leak cause angle when doing wheelies).

In addition to that when they put the head light back on rubber bushings popped out so i got the bike back with out them. Total cost of this awesome service $1500!!!

And all you NJ guys know that "awesome" dealership, the only good thing is the staff is really nice there....

Sorry for the ramble just needed to vent this again to people that will understand me.
You got to be talking Moto Mall for dealer right?

Ill never bring my bike there again!!

Like you, I do most of my own work.

You ride your Devil like an animal!

You ever want to meet up and get into the Duc group I organized, hit me up. There are a bunch of us from NY/NJ/CT. Several from here.

·
Registered
99 Posts
You got to be talking Moto Mall for dealer right?

Ill never bring my bike there again!!

Like you, I do most of my own work.

You ride your Devil like an animal!

You ever want to meet up and get into the Duc group I organized, hit me up. There are a bunch of us from NY/NJ/CT. Several from here.
Hey, YES THAT IS EXACTLY THE PLACE I AM TALKING ABOUT!!! LMAO!

Yeah i do ride it pretty hard lol. I would definitely be interested to check out your group, what do you guys do, where you go?

I also would love to check out all the goodies on your bike, and wanted to talk to u about some mods you have, as i was considering them as well.

·
Registered
72 Posts
25,000km MY13 Gen 1 Dark... Few issues:

Front Brake Rotors, Pinched Brake Line, LH Fork Seal & Coolant Header Tank... Only had to cough up for the Header Tank as the bike was then just out of warranty - naturally!

Love the D to bits though as I think it's the most engaging bike I have ever owned

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Hey, YES THAT IS EXACTLY THE PLACE I AM TALKING ABOUT!!! LMAO!

Yeah i do ride it pretty hard lol. I would definitely be interested to check out your group, what do you guys do, where you go?

I also would love to check out all the goodies on your bike, and wanted to talk to u about some mods you have, as i was considering them as well.
Shot you a PM Mike.

·
Banned
1,425 Posts
Wow....

I think mine must be the ''Comedy'' model Diavel.
To be fair,

The only issue that came up after the clutch fluid bleeding was leaking reservoir cap. It simply wasn't properly screwed back.
The shop offered to exchange it on a warranty, but i just screwed it tighter and it stopped spitting out stuff.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
515 Posts
I had with my gen 1 diavel the following issues in 27000km:

Twice a loose heatshield.
Paint peeling off the brake and clutch reservoir.
Warped front rotors.
Steering lock failed, but was fixed by the ducati software workaround.
Broken of rear license plate holder.
Molten hydraulic adjustment hose of the rear shock.
Sheared of the canister of the rear shock after riding over a motorcycle tyre while taking an enhanced motorcycle riding course. (Good excuse for an ohlins
)
Three times a loose air intake panel, ultimately fixed with a tie rap by the dealership.
Noticed that the brake cables were eating away the inside of the righthand front fork.
And offcourse all the ducati Diavel recalls..

And now since I replaced my Diavel 2011 last year with a Multistrada 2013 with 7000km (now 20000km), no issues till last week, my fuel sensor has stopped working..

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have 200 miles on mine...picked it up on Saturday past. The low fuel light has not shut off since I picked it up at the dealership. I'm beginning to think I wish I had known about all this prior to buying. Might not have. After years on Japanese bikes I was expecting more, not less, from a Ducati.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Mine didn't work wither until the dealership updated the software, there was some recall/workaround related to this. There is some info on this forum about it if I can recall correctly.

·
expert member
3,211 Posts
There are sensors mounted on arms that detect full lock, these arms seem to be out of alignment on some bikes and cause these issues, some bend them back inline, or the ducati workaround disables the sensors and you manually lock the steering, but you need to make sure you have full lock as the sensors no longer work.

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 27 Posts