Ducati Diavel Motorcycles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Unprofessional Diavelist
1,154 Posts
Well, for the first time in almost 3500 miles of riding my Diavel, including riding in heavy rain, I had finally experienced the traction control kick in on my early morning ride today. It had rained yesterday evening and I am guessing a good portion of the night, because the roads were still quite wet.

As always I was in sport mode, DTC 1 (least intrusive), entering a circular freeway onramp right as the ramp was coming to an end and merging with freeway traffic. Not merging exactly because it actually puts you in your own lane. Some SUV was going the same speed as my freeway entry speed, so I gave it a bit of rev to get ahead of him.

I'd say I was definitely still leaned over, and, in a grand failure of my 'smooth limo driver' philosophy on wet roads, I hamfistedly gave it just a bit too much too soon and too fast instead of smoothly rolling it on, and as soon as the bike started to slide out from the rear with some very noticeable wheel spin, DTC kicked in and cut the power for a split second.

I would say from beginning of slide to regaining composure was less than a second or even half a second; of course take that with a grain of salt since it comes from my seat of the pants stopwatch

Anyway happy to say it felt very natural and as I didn't even have a chance to react, the DTC just did its job and prevented the rear from slipping out more. Since the road was wet, it's possible that could have ended in a crash (who knows really, but it's possible) but I am crediting DTC for very smoothly working.

My first time ever that has happened (the DTC kicking in, that is... not the wheel spin), and I was giving the Diavel a pat on the tank for that one! Just wanted to share for those, like myself until today, who haven't yet experienced the DTC kick in and may have been wondering what it feels like.

It is very smooth, and even though my setting was on Sport mode and DTC 1, I would imagine the higher (I.e., more intrusive) levels of DTC feel much the same except it takes less of a slide or wheel spin to get it to kick in.

Ride safe out there everyone!

·
Registered
128 Posts
I'm not sure how the technology works, but it doesn't seem to work when you lean far over without power. I was purposely testing it's limits and going about 50 kph or so and was weaving back and forth. The road was wet and as pushed it farther and farther each time, I eventually got it to slide and pretty far too. No traction control kicked it and I was in Touring mode with traction control bumped up to 5. I think since the slide was completely sideways and not power related, the DTC didn't do anything. I'm guessing because the rear and front wheel were still turning at the same speed.

I have had it kick in a few times when I give it too much throttle off the line when it's wet or the tires are cold. Sometimes it will kick in when the front wheel is about to come up, sometimes it doesn't. I'm not sure what sets it off there, but I like to push things a little and will try to figure it out.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I'm not sure how the technology works, but it doesn't seem to work when you lean far over without power. I was purposely testing it's limits and going about 50 kph or so and was weaving back and forth. The road was wet and as pushed it farther and farther each time, I eventually got it to slide and pretty far too. No traction control kicked it and I was in Touring mode with traction control bumped up to 5. I think since the slide was completely sideways and not power related, the DTC didn't do anything. I'm guessing because the rear and front wheel were still turning at the same speed.

I have had it kick in a few times when I give it too much throttle off the line when it's wet or the tires are cold. Sometimes it will kick in when the front wheel is about to come up, sometimes it doesn't. I'm not sure what sets it off there, but I like to push things a little and will try to figure it out.
It's traction control not stability control!

·
Registered
550 Posts
Traction control cut in in a big way for me recently. I was riding off a car ferry and gave it a bit too much going up the ramp and the back went way out on a wet metal plate in the road that I had not noticed. Traction control cut in before I had time to react and I felt in complete control. I was in Sport with 01 DTC. Nice technology!

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
I'm not sure how the technology works, but it doesn't seem to work when you lean far over without power.
It depends on the type of slide.
If its a sidewards slide rather than spinning faster, then it cant detect it.

But even if you do manage to get the rear spinning fast with min throttle, the DTC can only cut the power to recover.
If there was little power anyway then cutting power wouldnt do much.

I must admit I had it cut in on me during my first week.
Due to a break down of a vehicle ferry I ended up with an unexpected 20km of dirt road with spots of rain.
Discovered the DTC cutting in on rutted corners. This was with gentle throttle and high DTC setting.
Didnt really feel it - the bike was too busy bouncing all over the place!

Since then had it cut in a few times. Mostly in the wet and with me going "oh i got this" at the same time as it got it.
At level 1 its probably stopping the fun just as my brain has caught up and is thinking about handling it.

Its not fool proof, but its a nice backup, especially if you commute and are not always at 100% attention.

·
Registered
128 Posts
It depends on the type of slide.
If its a sidewards slide rather than spinning faster, then it cant detect it.
I figured it worked that way. Someone I know mentioned that it also takes into account lean angle and some other things, but I didn't he was right.

I am glad it is there though. I feel a little more confident knowing that if I hit a bump in the curve and upon coming back down twist the throttle a little, it's not going to cause my ass end to spin out from under me. I had this happen on my Monster. Luckily it's so damn light I could just stomp my foot down and kick it right back up.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Doesn't take in lean angles. It doesn't have any lean angle sensors.
BMW does for the S1000 so it can change the sensitivity.
But the Diavel DTC will act the same leaned as up right and doing a burnout.

·
Unprofessional Diavelist
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This is great, thanks for sharing your experiences. It is good to know it worked well in our cases. Very happy with the system, as having never owned a bike with traction control, I wasn't sure what to expect.

Keep those stories coming! I am curious to know the different Ievels of DTC and how they engage the system. Hopefully someone who rides touring, urban, or custom DTC settings will chime in.

Until then happy and safe riding to all!

·
Registered
128 Posts
I bumped up the DTC one level in Urban and one in Touring. I figured what is the point in having 8 levels and then setting the default to level 5?

I was uh... messing around on our Motorcycle Safety Course yesterday and had something interesting happen. There is this long stretch of black top that a couple of us were practicing wheelies on. There is a slight incline to it and when going up it I could easily get the front end up in Sport DTC level 1. However when going the other direction, only slightly down hill, DTC would kick in and the front tire wouldn't even leave the ground. Anyone have any suggestions as to why this happened? I tried it multiple times and it did it every single time.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
gizmoduc, Is it due to incline? Going up more weight is on the rear wheel and is easy to lift the front. Unlike going downhill. More weight is on the front. Did you try DTC - 0? If it still does that then I'd say it has nothing to do with the traction control.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I didn't try DTC 0, but I will next time. That is the only thing I could think of. It would take more power to lift up the front and maybe it's enough to activate DTC. I just find it odd that it won't even come up a little bit one way, but the other way it will come up pretty far (as far as I am willing without shitting my pants) with no interference from DTC at all.

·
Registered
576 Posts
There's really no right or wrong answer, the higher the number the quicker the bike will intervene. There's been some suggestion that the lower DTC settings are actually worse for spirited riding: while they do wait longer, once the digital nanny steps in it's a more harsh intervention because it waited so long. If you enjoy hooning, best to turn it completely off, right after you remove your license plate.

Also be aware that the Diavel DTC is not wheelie control, under the right circumstances you can pull the front wheel in the air on any DTC setting. There are no tilt/yaw sensors on these bikes, the primary DTC input is the rotational speed of the wheels.

Nothing changed as far as we know about the DTC on the Gen2 bikes, so old threads are still relevant.

·
Aspiring to grace and serenity
6,726 Posts
Read the manual; it has a lot of information on how to choose the right setting.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Also be aware that the Diavel DTC is not wheelie control, under the right circumstances you can pull the front wheel in the air on any DTC setting. There are no tilt/yaw sensors on these bikes, the primary DTC input is the rotational speed of the wheels.
But if you are planning to wheelie - turn off DTC.
While it might not intervene if the front wheel is turning, if you change speed or the front wheel slows, the DTC will then cut in.

Basically its almost certain to cut in, just when and how high you have the front is the only question!

·
Registered
140 Posts
But if you are planning to wheelie - turn off DTC.
While it might not intervene if the front wheel is turning, if you change speed or the front wheel slows, the DTC will then cut in.

Basically its almost certain to cut in, just when and how high you have the front is the only question!
That's been my experience as well. I can certainly lift the front wheel with DTC on, even at mid-range settings, but the DTC will put the front back down at some point, quite likely not at the time you wanted/expected. At the higher settings, like 5-8, it gets quite difficult to lift the wheel at all.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.