Lower Rod Bearing failure

7 replies to this topic

#1 newbithian

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Diavel Model: XDiavel

Posted 01 April 2021 - 10:51 AM

So, I bought a used XDiavel with 11,200 miles on it from CA that I had shipped here in NC. 200 miles later, it broke down.

I towed the bike to my nearest Ducati dealer and they've discovered that the lower rod bearing has failed, and estimated it will cost $5K+ to repair. They mentioned it would likely be cheaper to replace it with another used engine, but I wasn't able to find any XDiavel engines anywhere.

Does this sound right to you guys? Does anybody know what would cause such a failure, especially after having just bought it?

Remove Advertisements Sponsored Links

Diavel-Forum.com

#2 newbithian

• Members
    • PipPip
    • 11 posts

Posted 01 April 2021 - 06:16 PM

Also, does anybody know if it'd be possible to fit a Multistrada 1260 or Diavel 1260 engine into it? To my understanding, they're roughly the same engine, but it doesn't seem like everything would line up the same.

#3 Dandeano

Advanced Member

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 862 posts
    • Diavel Model: XDiavel S

Posted 02 April 2021 - 12:35 AM

What do they mean by a lower rod bearing? Are they talking about one of the conrod bearings or a crank bearing? Also how can they tell that without stripping the engine. If it is the case then you are an extremely unlucky guy

Edited by Dandeano, 02 April 2021 - 12:36 AM.

#4 newbithian

• Members
    • PipPip
    • 11 posts

Posted 02 April 2021 - 03:24 PM

View PostDandeano, on 02 April 2021 - 12:35 AM, said:

What do they mean by a lower rod bearing? Are they talking about one of the conrod bearings or a crank bearing? Also how can they tell that without stripping the engine. If it is the case then you are an extremely unlucky guy

I'm guessing a connecting rod bearing, but they said they found copper particles in the oil screen, which they believe alongside the loud clanking noise is consistent with a bearing that's gone out that has lead to further damage to the engine. I asked for a more accurate estimate on how much it's going to be to fix, but they haven't gotten back to me yet... I'm guessing they might be investigating further.

#5 ozzie21

Advanced Member

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 606 posts

Posted 02 April 2021 - 06:10 PM

View Postnewbithian, on 02 April 2021 - 03:24 PM, said:

I'm guessing a connecting rod bearing, but they said they found copper particles in the oil screen, which they believe alongside the loud clanking noise is consistent with a bearing that's gone out that has lead to further damage to the engine. I asked for a more accurate estimate on how much it's going to be to fix, but they haven't gotten back to me yet... I'm guessing they might be investigating further.

Don't sound much like a real capable dealer. I'd guess they're a bit leery of doing a complete rebuild cuz it's very possible they never have done one. Shop around......

#6 Jimmy8636

• Members
    • PipPip
    • 33 posts

Posted 12 April 2021 - 05:12 PM

View Postnewbithian, on 02 April 2021 - 03:24 PM, said:

I doubt that is the problem. I broke some teeth on the 3rd/4th secondary and had to split the case to fix it. It make a noise like marbles bouncing around in the engine. Besides the gears you will need the engine seal rebuild kit. I had about $600 in parts and a weekend worth of work, but my bike was down for three months waiting on parts. If you are mechanically incline it’s not that bad of a job and doesn’t require more than one person. You will need to rent or buy a few of the Ducati special tools. PM me if you want more information.

Edited by Jimmy8636, 12 April 2021 - 05:19 PM.

#7 newbithian

• Members
    • PipPip
    • 11 posts

Posted 17 April 2021 - 12:12 PM

View PostJimmy8636, on 12 April 2021 - 05:12 PM, said:

I doubt that is the problem. I broke some teeth on the 3rd/4th secondary and had to split the case to fix it. It make a noise like marbles bouncing around in the engine. Besides the gears you will need the engine seal rebuild kit. I had about $600 in parts and a weekend worth of work, but my bike was down for three months waiting on parts. If you are mechanically incline it’s not that bad of a job and doesn’t require more than one person. You will need to rent or buy a few of the Ducati special tools. PM me if you want more information.

Ducati got back to me with an estimate of $9,000 so I have no choice but to fix it myself, though at least they provided me a list of all the parts I'll need if it is what they say it is. Could still be something else, soI don't plan to buy any parts until I can confirm what's broken. I'm fairly mechanically inclined, but I've never taken apart an engine before - it's a pretty daunting task admittedly, though I think I should manage with enough patience and diligence. I still need to figure out all the special Ducati tools I'll need, though.

Edited by newbithian, 17 April 2021 - 12:24 PM.

#8 duncan mcloud

• Members
    • PipPip
    • 59 posts
    • Diavel Model: No Diavel Yet

Posted Yesterday, 09:38 AM

View Postnewbithian, on 17 April 2021 - 12:12 PM, said:

Ducati got back to me with an estimate of $9,000 so I have no choice but to fix it myself, though at least they provided me a list of all the parts I'll need if it is what they say it is. Could still be something else, soI don't plan to buy any parts until I can confirm what's broken. I'm fairly mechanically inclined, but I've never taken apart an engine before - it's a pretty daunting task admittedly, though I think I should manage with enough patience and diligence. I still need to figure out all the special Ducati tools I'll need, though.

oh man
    thats a lot of work, because i had all appart
    and 9000 bucks is nothing
    you are going to face the real damage after disassemble the engine
    all the copper zinc(con-rod -bearing) broken parts are running trough the crancase and geaerbox
    the cylinder have an inside coating,- damage? .--you change
    transmission and gear box?? disassemble and clean and check for damages
    any damages to the generator? you have to fix it
    and you need to book some tools to disassemble and adjust and time the engine, or you make them yourself
    if you are not an toolmaker or an mechanic,- just don't do it
    talk to the dealer
    put pressure on them
    you need warranty
    you do that job,--- and you have no confidence,- there is no warranty afterwards
    you will find support here
    and there is also a friend from the UK here in the forum who will give you the the MANUAL,- you need
    good luck
    and best regards from Germany

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users