32 replies to this topic

#1 Noggie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • Diavel Model: Red

Posted 20 July 2020 - 10:40 AM

As this forum is a bit quiet, I thought I should start a build thread for my red 1260s.

Thanks to Covid, and summer holiday season, I'm far from where I wanted to be at this time of the year.

My mods so far is limited to:

- Black side panels, I did not like the look of the original aluminium ones and think the black ones look better.
- Givi tank bag tank lock ring, not the best idea as the tank bag completely obstructs the instrument cluster.
- Protective film on the instrument cluster, supposedly anti reflective, but with the sun from the rear I cant see anything.
- Ducatis optional Rizoma brake/clutch handles.
- Constands center lift adaptor.
- Evotech radiator and oil cooler protectors, huge improvement to the oil cooler grille as the stock is silver.
- Sidestand pad for enlarged footprint in case I park on grass/gravel or warm asphalt and prevent the bike from tipping over.

I did not like the brake feel, way too much travel and felt very soft, so I made some adjustments to the brake cylinder and now I'm much more happy with the brake, might adjust slightly more, but huge improvement.

To-do:

- Rizoma Reverse Retro Bar end mirrors, ordered June 7th but still not shipped due to Covid.
- Vinyl wrap to be added to various parts of the bike and wheels for an individual look, delayed due to covid and vacation.
- Windscreen, when ever Puig will actually release the product.
- Exhaust - still debating if I should go for the Termignoni exhaust or not, probably a spring 2021 modification.
- Ducati tail bag for the Diavel due to the tank bag obstructing the instrument view.
- Custom rear turn signal modification.

Hopefully I'll have the vinyl and the bar end mirrors in place early August, the rest might have to wait.

Attached File(s)

Edited by Noggie, 20 July 2020 - 10:41 AM.

Remove Advertisements Sponsored Links

Diavel-Forum.com

#2 Scottm091

• Members
    • PipPip
    • 15 posts
    • Diavel Model: Diavel1260S

Posted 20 July 2020 - 05:21 PM

Following. I’m still on the fence on the air intakes - I like what you have done with the black ones for sure, but the cost is a mental obstacle for me. Looking forward to seeing the bar end mirrors and curious what you decide to do with the turn signal modification mentioned. Radiator and oil cooler guards are on my to-do list as well - looks great.

#3 Noggie

Advanced Member

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 138 posts

Posted 21 July 2020 - 01:25 AM

View PostScottm091, on 20 July 2020 - 05:21 PM, said:

Following. I’m still on the fence on the air intakes - I like what you have done with the black ones for sure, but the cost is a mental obstacle for me. Looking forward to seeing the bar end mirrors and curious what you decide to do with the turn signal modification mentioned. Radiator and oil cooler guards are on my to-do list as well - looks great.

I totally understand the intake covers, they were crazy expensive, I got them as part of the purchase price so the cost was kind of hidden.
    I did test fit a piece of vinyl to them and that stuck on there very well, so you could get som vinyl and wrap them black/carbon fiber or some other color.

I got some LED indicators off eBay, my plan was to fit them under the seat (between the seat and the passenger handle).
    I have to crack open the casing for the eBay indicators and see if I can get a friend to 3D print a new housing. I have some rough cardboard cutouts to make a first attempt, might become a winter project.
    Being in Europe I need amber turn indicators, I know there is a company selling a mod that uses the brake light as turn indicators for the US market, but I can't use that.

Not sure what to do with the tail though, our license plates are quite big and will cover the tail/brake lights if moved up, if I get a small custom plate, I'll just get pulled over all the time.
    My option is a side mounted plate, but I'm not sure I like that look.

If you look at The G's "So far so good....Almost" thread, he has the same mirrors on his bike. I had them om my S1000R and I was very happy with them, though I had them above the bars, not below as he does.

#4 caribmon71

• Members
    • PipPip
    • 48 posts
    • Diavel Model: Diavel1260

Posted 21 July 2020 - 10:22 PM

View PostNoggie, on 20 July 2020 - 10:40 AM, said:

Evotech radiator and oil cooler protectors, huge improvement to the oil cooler grille as the stock is silver.

I did not like the brake feel, way too much travel and felt very soft, so I made some adjustments to the brake cylinder and now I'm much more happy with the brake, might adjust slightly more, but huge improvement.

Did you install the radiator and oil cooler guard yourself? Just wondering whether it is an easy install. I ordered the two guards in May, but have not installed them yet.

Which brake did you adjust? My rear brake is driving me crazy. The foot lever travels so much and engages so low that my foot barely flexes that far down, so the brake is almost useless to me.

#5 Noggie

Advanced Member

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 138 posts

Posted 22 July 2020 - 12:15 AM

View Postcaribmon71, on 21 July 2020 - 10:22 PM, said:

Did you install the radiator and oil cooler guard yourself? Just wondering whether it is an easy install. I ordered the two guards in May, but have not installed them yet.

Yes. I did.
    you pretty much just need a set on long allen keys. Think there was 3 sizes,a 2,5mm, 3mm and 4mm and a set of side cutters.
    Biggest job was to get the belly pan off as there is quite a few screws on it.

Radiator guard you need to take the indicator side pods off (3 screws), the guard just clips in place.

Instructions for Radiator guard.
    https://s3.eu-west-2...nstructions.pdf

Instructions for oil cooler guard.
    https://evotech-inst...nstructions.pdf

View Postcaribmon71, on 21 July 2020 - 10:22 PM, said:

Which brake did you adjust? My rear brake is driving me crazy. The foot lever travels so much and engages so low that my foot barely flexes that far down, so the brake is almost useless to me.

I adjusted my front brake.
    You can see my finger pointing at a hex nut just under the rubber boot, I turned mine about one turn clockwise.
    Essentially moving the piston slightly in. While doing this I had the bike on a lift and rotated the front wheel to ensure the brake did not engage. This means that I now need less travel on the piston/brake leaver to activate the brake, it is now much more responsive and feels much better.

Sidenote: same adjustments on the clutch cylinder if you want to adjust the clutch bite point.

I had a look on the rear brake.
    You can adjust that by taking off the link and rotating the head making the rod longer, should have the same effect as what I did on the front.
    Mine seems to be quite far out though, I guess this is set by the shop when they assemble the bike out of the crate and can vary from bike to bike.

Attached File(s)

Edited by Noggie, 22 July 2020 - 12:26 AM.

#6 caribmon71

• Members
    • PipPip
    • 48 posts
    • Diavel Model: Diavel1260

Posted 22 July 2020 - 04:18 PM

Thank you! I will give these a try.

#7 Alvinacady

• Members
    • Pip
    • 4 posts

Posted 05 August 2020 - 01:20 AM

After 3 years its been done gafa red is back on road new clutch mot and service one more saved still have a few weeks to go but should be on road

#8 Noggie

Advanced Member

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 138 posts

Posted 25 August 2020 - 10:57 AM

Finally made some progress.

Due to covid and holiday season, this took months longer than expected.

BUT, finally got my Rizoma Reverse Retro bar end mirrors, and my custom vinyl wrap done.

Next step is the Term exhaust, but it is only 5-6 weeks left of the season this year, so that will be done in the spring.

Quite happy with the result to be honest, was a lot of different test designs before we settled on this as the final result.

Attached File(s)

#9 Borgemar

• Members
    • PipPip
    • 12 posts

Posted 25 August 2020 - 12:28 PM

Noggie,
    Your Diavel look very cool, with the vinyl wrap, and bar ends.The rims also look nice. I have the Termi exhaust,, insane sound. Something to look forward to

#10 The G

• Members
    • PipPip
    • 41 posts
    • Diavel Model: Black

Posted 02 September 2020 - 11:16 PM

View PostNoggie, on 25 August 2020 - 10:57 AM, said:

Next step is the Term exhaust, but it is only 5-6 weeks left of the season this year, so that will be done in the spring.

If you put the termi pipes on, you'll have to remove the sidestand pad. The termi's are a touch larger and you'll find the extra size of the pad will actually rub up against it.

#11 M4ppy

• Members
    • Pip
    • 6 posts

Posted 01 October 2020 - 12:34 PM

Hi, how well does the evotech rad guard fit. I just send mine back as it didn’t follow the shape of the rad and pushed out the indicator pods.
    the oil cooler fitted great. Would be interested to know from others who have them fitted
    thanks

#12 Noggie

Advanced Member

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 138 posts

Posted 08 October 2020 - 11:09 AM

View PostM4ppy, on 01 October 2020 - 12:34 PM, said:

Hi, how well does the evotech rad guard fit. I just send mine back as it didn’t follow the shape of the rad and pushed out the indicator pods.
    the oil cooler fitted great. Would be interested to know from others who have them fitted
    thanks

Hi.
    Been out of town a week and haven't seen this.

The rad guard did fit, but it's a lot flatter than the radiator as you mention, here is probably a 15mm gap between the guard and the radiator at the center, but you really don't see that unless you get in real close.
    Didn't notice it pushing on the pods, I did notice the screws on the pods were a bit tighter the reinstalling them so it may be the case.

Personally I think it looks OK, but not perfect.

#13 The G

• Members
    • PipPip
    • 41 posts

Posted 20 October 2020 - 02:35 PM

Looking good mate.

Love the Italian flag down the belly pan. Adds a nice it of flair to it. And the sides of the tank look pretty schmick as well.

Keep it up.

#14 JezGuy

• Members
    • PipPip
    • 41 posts

Posted 24 October 2020 - 05:13 AM

Post some pics of the PUIG windshield when you get it fitted. I'm interested in one myself. Touring size, light smoke I think. A touring size from Ducati would be interesting but the Puig is adjustable which might actually work.

#15 Noggie

Advanced Member

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 138 posts

Posted 24 October 2020 - 05:48 AM

View PostJezGuy, on 24 October 2020 - 05:13 AM, said:

Post some pics of the PUIG windshield when you get it fitted. I'm interested in one myself. Touring size, light smoke I think. A touring size from Ducati would be interesting but the Puig is adjustable which might actually work.

I'll see what I end up with.
    I'm considering the evotech phone mount, that will probably be in conflict with the adjuster on the Puig windscreen.
    If I go for the adjustable Puig one, it will be the small sports screen, dark smoke or black.

It's winter storage time in Norway now, I guess within a week or two the bike will be parked to Match/April, meaning modification time :)

#16 JezGuy

• Members
    • PipPip
    • 41 posts

Posted 24 October 2020 - 07:26 AM

Yep same here in Canada, almost winter storage time. I ordered some Evotech handgaurds, thought they'd add some drop protection but also add to the aggressive looks, designed for the Diavel without ugly brackets. Trying to figure out a balance between a practical windshield and one that doesn't spoil the looks of the bike. Not too many examples to look at. I'm interested in swapping out the rear turn 'bling' indicators. What's involved in terms of parts and fitting?

#17 DucatiDiavel

• Members
    • PipPip
    • 41 posts

Posted 25 October 2020 - 07:07 PM

It's Brian from Rated R Cars Youtube channel. :o) Have you checked out the Rizoma metal windscreen? It's expensive but beautiful. Too expensive for me right now though. I'd rather spend money on performance mods (I'm hoping to do another performance tune soon.) Then I want to do gearing. Although this bike is already super fast. Never fast enough!!

#18 xpandabl3

• Members
    • PipPip
    • 21 posts

Posted 15 December 2020 - 10:56 PM

View PostJezGuy, on 24 October 2020 - 07:26 AM, said:

Yep same here in Canada, almost winter storage time. I ordered some Evotech handgaurds, thought they'd add some drop protection but also add to the aggressive looks, designed for the Diavel without ugly brackets. Trying to figure out a balance between a practical windshield and one that doesn't spoil the looks of the bike. Not too many examples to look at. I'm interested in swapping out the rear turn 'bling' indicators. What's involved in terms of parts and fitting?

Hey Jez, do you happen to live in Vancouver? Would be cool if you are!

#19 JezGuy

• Members
    • PipPip
    • 41 posts

Posted 16 December 2020 - 05:48 AM

View Postxpandabl3, on 15 December 2020 - 10:56 PM, said:

Hey Jez, do you happen to live in Vancouver? Would be cool if you are!

Hi Xpandabl3, No the other side, Ontario! Looks like you've done plenty of mods, be nice to see some pics of your bike. I'd never heard of the Luimoto or Ilmberger, good to share more info. I intend adding the Termi exhaust in the spring. Waiting on a Rizoma rear brake reservoir (Notch black). Which one did you go with? I'm interested in bar end mirrors, not sure if they'd fit with the Evotech hand guards though. Would have been good if Rizoma had done more with the shield, made it actually deflect some wind.

#20 XD1262

Expert Member

• Members
    • PipPipPipPip
    • 1343 posts
    • Diavel Model: XDiavel

Posted 16 December 2020 - 11:25 AM

View PostJezGuy, on 16 December 2020 - 05:48 AM, said:

.........Looks like you've done plenty of mods, be nice to see some pics of your bike. I'd never heard of the Luimoto or Ilmberger.......

Luimoto is a Canadian company- man! From your own country. :)
    This have found the way across the Atlantic Ocean and over to me. They made very well seat covers. Very professional and easy to communicate with and trade with.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users