38 replies to this topic

#1 digidesigner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Diavel Model: XDiavel

Posted 23 September 2018 - 05:08 AM

Hello,

I am new user, 40+ guy who got into driving motorcycles only now. I first started driving dirt bike early this year and now I finally got the license done for driving street bikes. I had no passion for street bikes did not like any of them, choppers or bikes or whatever until I saw the XDiavel this week :-D

So now I am wondering if this beast would actually make any sense for someone looking for the first bike?

In my life no matter what I buy, I have regretted not getting the best thing right way, I have always bought something "a little cheaper" first only to quickly realise what I actually need is something far better, ending selling the cheap piece soon and getting the more expensive one shortly after my first purchase.

So this time I'm thinking I should get something that is actually good if not the best right away.

As I said, I'm not 18, I do have kids so I am not someone risking my life on the streets just for fun, but still, would it be too dangerous of a beast for a first bike??

Thanks!

Remove Advertisements Sponsored Links

Diavel-Forum.com

#2 Z06_Pilot

Advanced Member

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 219 posts
    • Diavel Model: XDiavel S

Posted 23 September 2018 - 06:43 AM

Hi, and welcome!

I think the fact that you are 40+ years old with kids tells me you are a pretty sensible risk taker. My recommendation would be to TAKE A TEST DRIVE-don't pass this step. And, very importantly, have the dealer put the bike in TOURING mode when you take the test drive. you still have all the power of the bike, but the throttle response is very linear and progressive. in SPORT mode, this bike is pure adrenalin and I would recommend it only once you are comfortable with the bike.

The only things about the XD that are cruiser-like are the belt drive and forward controls. this is a tightly sprung bike with a simply awesome motor. it sings in every gear and likes to be at 4k or above at all times. the binders are incredible and slowing this bike down and the handling with that 40 degree lean angle will out perform any cruiser out there.....by a large margin. Once you get VERY comfortable with the bike, launch control is most definitely an E-ticket ride.

I feel like you do regarding buy my first of anything. Folks are always saying "buy something slow and inexpensive then work your way up as your experience grows". Why? The old saying that the most important throttle is between the ears is so true in my opinion. Just pay attention to what you are doing, and you will be rewarded with an incredible ownership experience. There is lots of room to grow into this bike.

you can tell by many of my posts on this forum that I am an unapologetic super-fan of this bike. Does it have niggles? sure, it's European....it's going to have a few querks and a couple of recalls that are very well known and easily resolved by the dealer. But you also get a bike that looks, sounds, and performs like nothing else out there in the cruiser marketplace, period. I have had mine over a year with 7k miles on the clock and I never, ever get bored with this bike. My HD CVO rarely comes out of the garage anymore!

Good luck and let us know how you progress....!

Jeff

Edited by Z06_Pilot, 23 September 2018 - 06:45 AM.

#3 Rex in the Big Easy!

Expert Member

• Members
    • PipPipPipPip
    • 8459 posts
    • Diavel Model: Carbon Red

Posted 23 September 2018 - 07:20 AM

Like the vintage Miller Beer Commercial:

"You only go around once in life, so go for the GUSTO!"

Hint: "Urban Mode" is your best friend until you get use to the extreme torque/power throttle response at the rear tire, ESPECIALLY on wet pavement!!!

Best wishes.

#4 Crussell

Advanced Member

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 392 posts

Posted 23 September 2018 - 08:02 AM

I totally agree with the two previous posts. Having three separate modes let’s you learn at your own pace. Start in urban and you have a great first bike. Enough power but not overwhelming and the bike is light and easy to maneuver.

#5 Crussell

Advanced Member

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 392 posts

Posted 23 September 2018 - 08:13 AM

But....... you still need to use your noggin. Ride safe and take your time.

#6 Rex in the Big Easy!

Expert Member

• Members
    • PipPipPipPip
    • 8459 posts

Posted 23 September 2018 - 09:08 AM

^^^^^+1. Use your noggin! Don't learn the hard way.

How NOT to lane split 101 for beginners video: Posted Image "Cruizin for a Bruizin".

https://www.youtube....h?v=CGfzt32nNtQ

Edited by Rex in the Big Easy!, 23 September 2018 - 09:11 AM.

#7 performancedc

• Members
    • PipPip
    • 37 posts

Posted 23 September 2018 - 09:12 AM

This quote is a great explanation! I too am new to bikes (as of March of this year). Originally I was going to get a Vmax but the Yamaha dealership actually told me it was too much bike and the owner after 30 years finally feels ready for one. One a load of trash! Don’t listen to everyone’s “advice” because they see it through their own lens and experiences. I unfortunately did and bought a lesser bike....2018 Monster 821. Don’t get me wrong that was an awesome bike and I do miss it....but its not an X and I am much much happier with it. Don’t want to kill yourself? Watch your right hand on that throttle. Take a street riding course and be don’t be quick to throw your girl on the back until ready....oh and make sure she weighs less that 115 lbs lol. Good luck!

View PostZ06_Pilot, on 23 September 2018 - 06:43 AM, said:

Hi, and welcome!

I think the fact that you are 40+ years old with kids tells me you are a pretty sensible risk taker. My recommendation would be to TAKE A TEST DRIVE-don't pass this step. And, very importantly, have the dealer put the bike in TOURING mode when you take the test drive. you still have all the power of the bike, but the throttle response is very linear and progressive. in SPORT mode, this bike is pure adrenalin and I would recommend it only once you are comfortable with the bike.

The only things about the XD that are cruiser-like are the belt drive and forward controls. this is a tightly sprung bike with a simply awesome motor. it sings in every gear and likes to be at 4k or above at all times. the binders are incredible and slowing this bike down and the handling with that 40 degree lean angle will out perform any cruiser out there.....by a large margin. Once you get VERY comfortable with the bike, launch control is most definitely an E-ticket ride.

I feel like you do regarding buy my first of anything. Folks are always saying "buy something slow and inexpensive then work your way up as your experience grows". Why? The old saying that the most important throttle is between the ears is so true in my opinion. Just pay attention to what you are doing, and you will be rewarded with an incredible ownership experience. There is lots of room to grow into this bike.

you can tell by many of my posts on this forum that I am an unapologetic super-fan of this bike. Does it have niggles? sure, it's European....it's going to have a few querks and a couple of recalls that are very well known and easily resolved by the dealer. But you also get a bike that looks, sounds, and performs like nothing else out there in the cruiser marketplace, period. I have had mine over a year with 7k miles on the clock and I never, ever get bored with this bike. My HD CVO rarely comes out of the garage anymore!

Good luck and let us know how you progress....!

Jeff

#8 digidesigner

• Members
    • Pip
    • 8 posts

Posted 23 September 2018 - 10:35 AM

Hello guys, just logged in to double check if there are really no responses (seems my email notification does not work) only to see all these nice responses right here, thanks!

The problem with me and the X is that I DID demo ride it and now I can't think of anything else LOL :d I did not know what mode it was set for the demo as I did not know it has different settings, but still it felt like my bike, so tomorrow I'll see if my bank approves leasing for it. It's end of the season over here, weather is getting cold and most people start to put their bikes away for the winter season, therefore it's the most stupid time of the year to get a new bike, but still I can't wait to get it LOL. So we will see in couple of days if I get the financing happen and one more of these out there on the road Posted Image

#9 DucaRicardo

Advanced Member

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 870 posts

Posted 23 September 2018 - 12:19 PM

This my second bike, coming from a 2016 Vulcan custom 900 last year. Nothing compares to power like the XD. I was in the market for 3 bikes. The VROD, MR109, and the XD. So happy I went this route, this bike has power like no other cruiser out there. Also, this bike scares the hee-bee-jee-bees out of me, so I respect it as a machine as well!! Just be careful and ride safely!! Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#10 yogxds

• Members
    • PipPip
    • 60 posts

Posted 23 September 2018 - 04:07 PM

Hi and welcome digidesigner!

I apologize for this lengthy reply, but probably I’m one of the few that bought an XDS as a first bike hence would like to share my story.

I’m close to 50 and a designer, too :) I was browsing online in August 2017 and a photo of XDS caught my attention. It was so beautiful I couldn’t stop looking at it and I thought what if I bought one. But the problem was that I never had a bike before. Not only that, but I never had been on a bike before, at all. However, the idea of owning one just was overwhelming. So I left my work and went straight to the nearest dealership and asked for suggestions. They gave me a riding school flier... I signed up for a for two-day training, got my license in a week or so and went back to the same dealership ready to sign a deal. “Fortunately” the guy was trying to rip me off so after several hours I just walked away.

I then was debating to myself if I should buy one at all, or it’s too crazy, as most suggested. Then decided to buy a cheap bike as almost everyone said that’s the route to go. But then I clearly realized that the very reason I went and got my license is the XDS itself, so I shouldn’t compromise but follow my plan as several guys here, in these forums, supported me by providing very helpful tips.

I then got in touch with several dealers in and out of state and eventually bought a brand new 2016 leftover for almost $5,000 less than the first dealer was trying to push for. I asked to deliver the bike as still couldn’t ride on the streets, was too scared. Received it in a couple days, but wouldn’t take a risk to take it out for a ride. Tried to hire someone for more training, but it didn’t work and finally, one night, I just put my gear on, set the bike to low power mode and went out riding when there was almost no traffic. Then I went for the second, third time and so on. I would pull over and let everybody pass when I was overwhelmed and within several days became more and more confident and went on freeway. Then kept riding more, started commuting and since then I have around 4K miles on the bike and have enjoyed every second of the ownership and every time riding learnt something new and still do I.

Yes, the XDS is not a starter bike, but with its great safety options along with a mature, tamed rider make it very safe and relatively easy to operate. So why not, go for it! Just keep your emotions under control, be always alert, ride safe and enjoy!

#11 Marco_H

• Members
    • Pip
    • 6 posts

Posted 23 September 2018 - 07:34 PM

View Postdigidesigner, on 23 September 2018 - 05:08 AM, said:

Hello,

I am new user, 40+ guy who got into driving motorcycles only now. I first started driving dirt bike early this year and now I finally got the license done for driving street bikes. I had no passion for street bikes did not like any of them, choppers or bikes or whatever until I saw the XDiavel this week :-D

So now I am wondering if this beast would actually make any sense for someone looking for the first bike?

In my life no matter what I buy, I have regretted not getting the best thing right way, I have always bought something "a little cheaper" first only to quickly realise what I actually need is something far better, ending selling the cheap piece soon and getting the more expensive one shortly after my first purchase.

So this time I'm thinking I should get something that is actually good if not the best right away.

As I said, I'm not 18, I do have kids so I am not someone risking my life on the streets just for fun, but still, would it be too dangerous of a beast for a first bike??

Thanks!

XDS is my first bike:) . You are at the perfect age to own it. To be a Calm and safe rider. Go for it. No doubt.

从我的 iPhone 发送,使用 Tapatalk

#12 romlakba

• Members
    • PipPip
    • 10 posts

Posted 24 September 2018 - 01:26 AM

Hi digidesigner,

I think you should absolutly buy that bike, without second toughts.
    This is my story: I'm now 41 and I never rode motorcycle until November 2016. Then out of the blue, I bought a Ducati Scrambler whitout even having a driver license. I got my driving license in March 2017, until then I rode with my Scrambler about 2000 km on closed roads. In May 2017 I visited the Ducati factory in Bologna and I had the opportunity to try out the Xdiavel S with a Ducati test driver (he was on a separate bike) around Bologna. From the very first second I felt myself very comfortable and very mutch at ease on the bike, as if I have always been riding it. Altough the test driver was going like hell, I had absolutly no difficulties with the power or with the torque of the bike. At this time I had driving license only for 2 months and only 4000 km riding experience behind me.
    It was loved first sight and 2 weeks later I picked up my own Xdiavel S in Bologna. Since then I rode 9000 km with the bike and an additionel 10000 km with my Scrambler as well.
    So, my story is a proof, that you should without any hasitation get thet bike! Have fun with it and ride safe!
    Balazs

#13 ReidMcT

Aspiring to grace and serenity

• Members
    • PipPipPipPip
    • 6721 posts
    • Diavel Model: No Diavel Yet

Posted 24 September 2018 - 03:47 AM

View Postdigidesigner, on 23 September 2018 - 10:35 AM, said:

I'll see if my bank approves leasing for it.

This is one big reason not to get the Diavel as your first bike. It is not wise to finance toys. Pay cash or choose a smaller toy.

#14 toddhollander

Advanced Member

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 435 posts

Posted 24 September 2018 - 04:25 AM

View PostReidMcT, on 24 September 2018 - 03:47 AM, said:

This is one big reason not to get the Diavel as your first bike. It is not wise to finance toys. Pay cash or choose a smaller toy.

I do agree debt is the bane of sound financial planning, BUT sometimes it is financially wise to pay 1 or 2% in financing charges to keep your capital earning 7 to 8%!
    It really does depend on your total financial health.

#15 Rex in the Big Easy!

Expert Member

• Members
    • PipPipPipPip
    • 8459 posts

Posted 24 September 2018 - 07:11 AM

^^^^^^"It really does depend on your total financial health."

Yup, this book really helped me see the light. Posted Image

https://www.youtube....h?v=QzE76nUSjL8

Edited by Rex in the Big Easy!, 24 September 2018 - 07:12 AM.

#16 Z06_Pilot

Advanced Member

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 219 posts

Posted 24 September 2018 - 07:33 AM

I financed 100% of my 2016 XDS at 0% for 5 years through Ducati. They even waived the documentation fee, so my total cost for using the money is 0. Somehow, it would have made more sense to take $20k out of a brokerage account to pay cash for it, and lose the 15-17% return I have been making for several years in that account? Using someone else's money at 0 cost to me for a "toy", rather than paying cash, is a "debt" I will incur every single time.

To the OP, how you acquire your XD is your financial business. Fingers crossed that everything works out for you. Please keep us in the loop!

Edited by Z06_Pilot, 24 September 2018 - 07:34 AM.

#17 Rex in the Big Easy!

Expert Member

• Members
    • PipPipPipPip
    • 8459 posts

Posted 24 September 2018 - 10:11 AM

View PostZ06_Pilot, on 24 September 2018 - 07:33 AM, said:

I financed 100% of my 2016 XDS at 0% for 5 years through Ducati. They even waived the documentation fee, so my total cost for using the money is 0. Somehow, it would have made more sense to take $20k out of a brokerage account to pay cash for it, and lose the 15-17% return I have been making for several years in that account? Using someone else's money at 0 cost to me for a "toy", rather than paying cash, is a "debt" I will incur every single time.

To the OP, how you acquire your XD is your financial business. Fingers crossed that everything works out for you. Please keep us in the loop!

Nice move Bud for an excellent Credit Score rating, you've earned it!...Hardest part accomplished.

Then, the pain comes after you've learned women were High Maintenance? :)
    Especially if it's a daily rider...700-+1000 miles per month.

If she intends to be a "weekend warrior" only, pls disregard.....
    Much less a money pit then. :)

Enjoy.
    safe/calm

My baby needs new shoes, front brake pads another couple Kmiles...About 500 bucks.
    Then dreaded Desmo Service due approx 6Kmiles...About 1400 bucks.

#18 levy1

Advanced Member

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 425 posts

Posted 24 September 2018 - 05:37 PM

View PostRex in the Big Easy!, on 23 September 2018 - 09:08 AM, said:

^^^^^+1. Use your noggin! Don't learn the hard way.

How NOT to lane split 101 for beginners video: Posted Image "Cruizin for a Bruizin".

https://www.youtube....h?v=CGfzt32nNtQ

Wow, thank you

#19 Rex in the Big Easy!

Expert Member

• Members
    • PipPipPipPip
    • 8459 posts

Posted 24 September 2018 - 06:33 PM

View PostReidMcT, on 24 September 2018 - 03:47 AM, said:

Kinda, sorta, beg to differ Bud...God forbid, worse case.....Say 6 months, couple years down the road OP is diagnosed with 4th stage colin cancer...has only 6 months to live if he's lucky.
    Who gets the last laugh then? :)I know, being silly, but what the hey???..we only live once.

Just sayin...Go for the Gusto, since we only go around once in life;)

#20 Rotostud

• Members
    • PipPip
    • 20 posts

Posted 25 September 2018 - 01:36 PM

I recently bought a 2018 xds iceberg white demo bike with 97 miles on it. Saved four grand off sticker but could not use ducati 0% finaning because ducati considers it used. Dealer came through with 5 year $0 deductible warranty for $690 bucks. It was tough writing such a big check, but I am 60yrs old so had some money saved. Hope I can ride the bike for at least 10 yrs.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users