36 replies to this topic

#1 jasonduerr

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Diavel Model: No Diavel Yet

Posted 12 August 2018 - 09:13 AM

Hi, Everyone.
New to biking, this is my 3rd season. Harley Sportster.
XDiavel has caught my eye, and I am curious about what you, owners, have to say about it.
In particular, what are your options about overall quality?
I hear this and that about Ducati, ranging from it's similar to everything else to weird problems all the time.
What do you think? Happy with the reliability? Are you constantly budgeting for the next surprise?
I am not all that handy, so I do maintenance at regular intervals at the dealer.
Most likely scenario is to buy used with warranty, locally.
Thank you.
JD

Remove Advertisements Sponsored Links

Diavel-Forum.com

#2 ETrider

• Members
    • PipPip
    • 54 posts
    • Diavel Model: XDiavel S

Posted 12 August 2018 - 03:44 PM

5800 miles on 2017 XDS no problems of any kind. Did make improvements for comfort though.

#3 DucaRicardo

Advanced Member

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 870 posts
    • Diavel Model: XDiavel

Posted 12 August 2018 - 04:43 PM

Overall impressed with my 2017 XD. About 3200kms on mine and no issues whatsoever. Except gets pretty pricey on mods.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#4 lpka

Advanced Member

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 149 posts

Posted 13 August 2018 - 07:10 AM

6000 miles and ALL OK, except fuel sensor and stuff that I broke :(

#5 Cromo Guy

Advanced Member

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 116 posts
    • Diavel Model: Cromo

Posted 13 August 2018 - 08:10 AM

20,000+ miles,nothing other than scheduled maintenance.

#6 Homebrewer

Advanced Member

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 433 posts

Posted 13 August 2018 - 09:28 AM

My 2016 has 21000 miles and I've had several issues: 1. had to replace the drive belt due to damage from a rock (replaced by Ducati as a show of "good faith" even though it wouldn't normally be considered covered by warranty), 2. replaced valve cover gasket due to oil leak (covered by original warranty), 3. replaced water pump (covered by extended warranty). If you ride more than a few thousand miles a year I would absolutely not get this bike without an extended warranty.

Aside from the questionable reliability keep in mind that the maintenance is very expensive on this bike. Most expensive is the 18,000 mile DESMO service, as it requires replacement of timing belts, fork oil, and a check of valve clearance in addition to the oil and filter. I do my own oil and filter but the rest of the DESMO cost me $1500.

On the plus side, everyone on these boards warned me that I'd be going through a lot of tires, with folks saying they only get 3-4K miles out of each set. I'm only on my 3rd set and am getting 7500 miles easily on the stock Pirelli's.

Would I get the bike again? Probably. The performance is amazing and in my opinion it's one of the most bad-ass looking bikes out there. I prefer feet forward cruiser type bikes and the only other bike I was considering is the HD Vrod, but they've discontinued that model.

Edited by Homebrewer, 13 August 2018 - 09:32 AM.

#7 Z06_Pilot

Advanced Member

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 219 posts

Posted 13 August 2018 - 01:21 PM

I have a 2016 (first model year), and the only problem I have had is an intermittent IMU issue where the ABS and DCT lights won't go out when starting a ride. It's easy to work around by turning off the bike, back on, then restarting and all is well. Dealer said that when riding season is over, I can take it in and they will need it for a few days to go through everything. This has happened to be about 5 - 7 times in my 6500 miles on the bike. So to me, it's been very reliable.

I purchased a 5 year extended warranty through Ducati when I bought the bike. I had no clue about Ducati reliability specifically other than what I had read here, but it's Italian. And while the Italians make the most incredible rolling art I have ever seen (including the Xdiavel), they are not known for reliability. Ferrari, Lambo, Fiat, all of the manufacturers from the boot. so i went into this with my eyes open that I would expect issues.

If I wanted rock-solid reliability, I could have gotten a Honda or Yamaha, and have a boring ho-hum cruiser bike like 90% of the folks out there.

The test ride of this bike absolutely blew me away. I had to catch my breath after the ride-absolute adrenaline rush. Just over a year later, the feeling has not subsided. I came from a Harley V-Rod background, and wanted something more edgy but maintained a feet-forward, upright riding position. I could not get this bike into my garage fast enough. The 9k mile maintenance intervals are nice. Yes, you do have to get the expensive Desmo service at 18k miles but that was the same thing with the V-Rod at 15k miles, so that was no surprise to me. A motor that runs like this is going to need care and feeding.

The only thing keeping this bike from staying with the R1's and CBR's of the world is the 40 degree lean angle. I'm only stretching a little to say that :-) More than enough lean for street use (and on the track I managed to scrape pegs only in one turn).

You will see posts from at least a couple of folks here who have had terrible luck with their bike, and that happens. It's sucks but it does happen.

Oh, and if you like to ride under the radar, DONT get this bike. 9 out of 10 times I stop to get gas, or get caught by a red light, folks want to talk about the bike, and just pretty much freak out over it. They take pictures, ask what size motor and horsepower it has, etc.

would I purchase again? In a heartbeat.

Edited by Z06_Pilot, 13 August 2018 - 01:28 PM.

#8 toddhollander

Advanced Member

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 435 posts

Posted 19 August 2018 - 03:02 AM

I am one of the guys with terrible "luck". Brand new and I posted this a week ago or so.
    BUT there is nothing like an XDiavel on the market so I am committed (or possibly should be?) to riding this beast.

Yeah, warranty, brand new bike, 2018 XDS
    Brief synopsis,

Feb 27 2018 Purchase 2018 XDS

April 1, 2018 Riding season starts

April 11, 2018 Handsfree system breaks, bike is inoperable at 276 miles

April 26, 2018 Bike is returned, rideable, but handsfree system still malfunctioning

May 29, 2018 Handsfree system replaced, bike is fine

June 18, 2018 IMU fault intermittent

June 29, 2018 IMU codes cleared, problem remains

July 9, 2018 Bike at dealer for repair of IMU system

Basically, since riding season has started my bike has been at the dealer, unrideable for about 7 (now 8) weeks and has only operated as intended for about two weeks
    The bike presently remains at the dealer, inoperable, with no estimated date of when it will be repaired. (wiring harness to be replaced this week)
    Hopefully the wiring harness will do the trick. The dealer has been great and DNA is aware of the situation as well.
    ​The dealer has even given me a Multi 1260 as a loaner since last week. (too cramped)

#9 Crussell

Advanced Member

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 392 posts

Posted 19 August 2018 - 07:35 AM

Almost feel guilty after seeing Todd’s post. 15,000 miles and very few problems. Two to be exact:

Front brake has been surging for the last 5,000 miles. I took it to the dealer and they said the the rotors are not warped. They retorqued them. Didn’t seem to make a difference. Going to have them looked at again at 18k service.

Fuel sensor acting up after a fill up. Still shows the pre fill level. It eventually catches up with itself but usually has to be shut off and back on.

That’s all I can think of. I’m very happy with the bike.

#10 duke7

• Members
    • PipPip
    • 64 posts

Posted 29 August 2018 - 04:52 PM

Had fatboy, road glide, and street glide special.
    All are worlds more comfortable for day long riding.
    All belt drive, never had problems. I'll take belt any day,
    chain drive 9% power loss. Belt 13%, and shaft drive 30%. I find 30% high in my estimation, but thats what I see spec'd.
    Id still have shaft over chain. But belt is the way to go these days, No idea why chain is still produced.

XD - way more fun, better handling, good for a 2 hour ride out, then back - but it will be an uncomfortable ride back.
    If Harley still had the street rod, there would be a more direct comparison

Harley forums full of people whining about problems with their harley.
    Harley accessories aren't cheap either, but there is a better selection.

Doesnt matter the brand, people have issues. Though I find Harley has better attention to detail, and quality. My XD had a lot of issues - very minor - but mis-aligned everything.
    messy welds, oil leak. All are signs that Ducati isn't investing in quality feedback systems at the factory.

Could have bought a New style fatboy 114 cu.in. for same money - but I just love the style and feel of the bike, with the raw power the XD puts out, awesome brakes.
    cruise control sold me as the tipping point.

XD needs to be ridden at a minimum of 4000rpm. It's chuggy to me below that. However the sound - yes the stock exhaust is very nice. It sure sounds awesome when you wind it up.

The overall experience of the XD is a richer one for day trips. Not a 'me-too' ride. Hoping the comfort seat and Hepco Becker saddle bags make a multi day tour every year enjoyable.

Edited by duke7, 29 August 2018 - 05:01 PM.

#11 Rex in the Big Easy!

Expert Member

• Members
    • PipPipPipPip
    • 8459 posts
    • Diavel Model: Carbon Red

Posted 30 August 2018 - 07:36 AM

Let's see...just south 31k miles on a 15 Gen2. After 2 year factory warranty expired, 3 unscheduled service visits so far. Main wiring harness replacement, rear hub assmbly, rear brake rotor, @ the tune of about $4.5k ...5 year RPM1 Extended Warranty coverage purchased through dealer at time of bike sale. good through 8/2021. 0 deductible, basically sign and ride.

Some strong advice: Any Ducati ridden as a daily rider (700-1,000 miles a month) without extended warranty protection.
    Then all the expense of maintenance/upkeep, with intentions your dealer performs all repairs/maintenance, expect your bank accnt in for a rude awakening! That's why they're called Stealerships and Ducati's are called money pits. Mine charges like $1700 for the Desmo Service interval alone.

safe/calm

#12 Crussell

Advanced Member

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 392 posts

Posted 10 September 2018 - 10:03 AM

Just made an appointment with the dealer for service.
    1. Pulsing front brake.
    2. Fuel sensor has failed.
    3. Daytime running lights no longer work.

I’m hoping all are covered by the warrantee. 15,000 miles. Still love this bike.

#13 Wahoo!!

Expert Member

• Members
    • PipPipPipPip
    • 2693 posts
    • Diavel Model: Black

Posted 11 September 2018 - 02:37 AM

Have done over 104,000km or 65,000 mile on my 2012 Diavel black and just starting to have a few issues. I am probably the person with the least mechanical knowledge and experience ever to ride a Diavel but get it serviced by good people every 6,000km when I change the tyres.
    In its lifetime prior to the last 1,000km, I needed to replace the thermostat, the fan when it overheats and the on/off switch under warranty.
    I rode like a woman possessed occasionally and broke the suspension when I landed after becoming airborne hitting the top limiter in top gear after hitting a pothole. I thoroughly recommend the Ohlins as a replacement but hopefully yours already has one installed.
    Be sure to test your back bearings around 80,000km as that is important to replace.
    He has some quirks like not liking commuting at low revs but switching to commute stops his grumbling and growling. He also is not keen on changing down cleanly if you do not have enough revs so you can hit a false neutral in the same way you do when not using the clutch (usually 4th to 3rd downhill on a sharp corner).
    I have tested him to the limits and he loved it as much as I did but giving problems now I am semi retiring him. I miss his reliability as I did not make him fancy, I just loved riding him every day Posted Image
    I have 10 bikes now and all for different reasons but I place my much loved Diavel on a pedestal way above every other bike I own or ever will own. I owe this much loved bike my life as he kept me safe through a very reckless period and opened my life up to soooo much fun Posted Image
    Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Edited by Wahoo!!, 12 September 2018 - 12:24 AM.

#14 Crussell

Advanced Member

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 392 posts

Posted 11 September 2018 - 08:08 PM

Interesting Wahoo, such strong feelings for a motorcycle. I’ve had bikes I was very attached to also. Mine were all female tho. Probably my favorite was a 1985 Honda XR600. I called “Black Beauty.” Totally bullet proof. Never let me down through endless adventures in Baja and Southern California deserts. My friends loved her too since she would tow them when their bikes would fail. She’s my favorite but my Xdiavel is gaining fast.

#15 levy1

Advanced Member

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 425 posts

Posted 27 September 2018 - 04:41 PM

I came from a V Rod and as it was said the Harley forums are full of problem bikes. I have to say I did not have any issues with my last Harleys, including fat boy, softail heritage classic road king and V Rod, . I only have 1100 miles on my new (used) 2016 X Diavel S I bought last week but this bike is like no other compared to my last 14 bikes. What a thrill, what a motor and a I love the ride but you will see a few complaints of harshness. For me it rides great and much better then the V Rod. The X Diavel and the Diavel are different motors and to me the X Diavel is easier to ride for a newbie sport bike rider. I am only 70 so I am still learning.

#16 XD147

• Members
    • PipPip
    • 27 posts

Posted 27 September 2018 - 08:15 PM

2months old xdiavel. clocked 2000km. no weird issues... bike performs as intended...

#17 jdkerner

• Members
    • PipPip
    • 94 posts

Posted 28 September 2018 - 08:11 AM

1800 miles and no issues aside from a poorly-designed rear brake. I've had it bled a few times and then was told the miraculously simple trick of hanging weights off of it overnight periodically. Sponginess goes away. Must be repeated every month or two but no cost to that!

The ride can be harsh. Why this didn't have Ohlins to start I cannot fathom. Were it my daily ride I'd definitely do some suspension work. I have several bikes and rotate them so this is not a major issue for me. But it's a terrific all-around bike and possibly my favorite in the stable.

#18 Z06_Pilot

Advanced Member

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 219 posts

Posted 28 September 2018 - 09:11 AM

View Postjdkerner, on 28 September 2018 - 08:11 AM, said:

1800 miles and no issues aside from a poorly-designed rear brake. I've had it bled a few times and then was told the miraculously simple trick of hanging weights off of it overnight periodically. Sponginess goes away. Must be repeated every month or two but no cost to that!

The ride can be harsh. Why this didn't have Ohlins to start I cannot fathom. Were it my daily ride I'd definitely do some suspension work. I have several bikes and rotate them so this is not a major issue for me. But it's a terrific all-around bike and possibly my favorite in the stable.

wow, I had not seen this before. You mean hanging weights onto the rear brake pedal to keep it depressed?

#19 Dandeano

Advanced Member

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 862 posts

Posted 28 September 2018 - 09:25 AM

View Postjdkerner, on 28 September 2018 - 08:11 AM, said:

A Bleed with a high boiling point brake fluid does the trick. Can't be arsed hanging weights on the pedal to compress the fluid to force the air out of suspension. Because that is all you are doing, a proper fluid like a Castrol SRF will stop you having to do that

#20 Hillslam

• Members
    • PipPip
    • 41 posts

Posted 28 September 2018 - 07:08 PM

2016 XDS ~6000miles zero issues

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users