Ducati Diavel Motorcycles Forum banner

Termi fire!

23K views 48 replies 32 participants last post by  Joken 
#1 ·
Lucky a rider was behind me , rear mudguard was burning ,only sand to put it out!
Not a good end to a good day out????

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Glad you're OK fella and that you got that under control.
Do you know what caused the mudguard fire?

Reactions: 777
#9 · (Edited by Moderator)
OUCH!!!!"Houston, we have a problem!"
How/Why/What in the world would cause a stainless steel exhaust canister to come apart and catch fire?

Thought Termi was the best available by the nose bleed prices they cost.
Perhaps defective some sort of way?..Demand a refund!!!!
Pls keep us posted...

All I can hope is my cheap ($300) POS Delkevic shorty survives.
Good luck!

Attachments

#7 ·
No db's ever fitted.
Rider behind said he saw meter flames coming from the exhaust then lots of smoke from around the tyre ,then flames around the back of the bike.
Will be taking the bike & exhaust to Ducati next Monday when they open.
See what they say.

#12 ·
Hi all,

We here in Germany had many bursted Termis. But its strange to see that it was burning! Termi and Ducati don`t like to replace them for free and most are changing to Acrapovic. I am excited what your dealer will say. Good luck.

#13 ·
Something is seriously wrong here.
I have carbon fiber cans on two bike and I can put my hands on them after hours of riding.

I don't know about the Arrow interior composition but my Two Brothers has fiberglass packing.

What fueling are you using?..but i guess you can never rule out quality control with these things..

#21 ·
I took delivery of my first Diavel with full termi installed in October 2011, had more problems with the bike lol.
Remounted the 11' system on a new 13' and no problems with 25k on the system.
Ran it stock first bike, PCV rexxer and QS on current. Hope it works out.

#20 ·
They saying there were some problems with the early ones means one of two things:

The failure rate wasn't high enough to recall it.

Or they just want you to know/think it is a small risk/problem.

I'm wondering how lean it would have been running or on the other end of the spectrum how plugged up the cat got and if that is what ended up igniting the rest. My bet is on carbon build up igniting. Kinda like creosote in a fireplace.

#26 ·
No luck with Ducati !
Looks like I am up for a new exhaust ,
won,t be a tearmi that for sure.
Any one with a set should have a look at the rivets that hold the carbon cover.
Check for any exhaust leak around them.
Not a happy camper, $&$?#%}{í ½í¸¡

#28 ·
Did ducati knock you back because they were disassembled for ceramic coating? my guess is the rivets weren't installed tight enough or there was no heatproof sealant reinstalled on reassembly, the sealant is supposed to stop exhaust gas leaking between the stainless flange and the carbon outer where they mate and are riveted, without it the carbon gets brittle and eventually catches fire as your results show. tough break mate, that's an expensive exhaust any chance of getting a replacement outer from Frasers?

#31 ·
Could it have been the kit was improperly rebuilt? I looked my system over last night, all rivets and mating locations seem to be intact and free of exhaust leaks. (No coating,Polished annually)

The only reason you are alive and he is not...is because I know who you are.
Don Eladio
Mod????

#30 · (Edited by Moderator)
If they're factory assembled then what reason did they give you for refusing to repair or replace?

I'm not 100% up on consumer law, but i do know here in Oz we get a fair shake, i wouldn't think what happened to yours could be considered fair wear and tear, have you looked into getting a solicitor to prepare a letter of demand? Statutory warranty period passed or not i would think you have a valid claim.

If they were disassembled and reassembled by a 3rd party (you or the ceramic coater) even if you used the termi repacking kit with the stainless bands and rivets you're screwed, the only chance you have is if the dealer did it i'd reckon.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.