9 replies to this topic

#1 Z06_Pilot

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Diavel Model: XDiavel S

Posted 18 June 2017 - 07:27 PM

Hi folks,

On my 3rd V-Rod, a 2012 10th Anniversary. The initial Diavel interested me greatly when it came out, but at 6'4" with a 32" inseam, mid controls are not an option. With the XDS, that has all changed. I like the V-Rods a lot, but I have been wanting something with more power and lean angle, but maintains the upright, feet forward cruiser design, and I think the XDS might fit the bill. with the numerous riding adjustments available. I have some questions for those who might not mind answering a Ducati neophyte?

*I have read in one review that there is a good deal of vibration in the seat and up through the grips while riding, causing the reviewers to have numb hands and rear end after their test rides. I have read other professional reviews who say it's incredibly comfortable for all day riding. What is your experience?

*Reliability. Obviously, most folks post only when something is wrong with their bikes. I see a good deal of that on this forum as well. I am wondering, on the whole, is the XDS experience one of a reliable machine compared to other bikes you have owned or own now?

*It's Italian, and it's a Ducati, which I am sure means it's not cheap to keep. I am not a DIY bike owner. I let the pros do it understanding it's going to cost me more. Wondering how the scheduled XDS maintenance costs compare to other makes of bikes you have had or have now? My V-ROD gets service every 5k miles and it costs ~$250 each time.

I will be setting up a test ride with one of the 3 dealers relatively close to me in the next few days and can't wait to try out this machine!

thanks all for taking the time to enlighten me.

Jeff

Remove Advertisements Sponsored Links

Diavel-Forum.com

#2 TexasCruiser

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 437 posts
  • Diavel Model: Black

Posted 18 June 2017 - 09:02 PM

My previous experience involves a lot of V twins. No Harley's though, so take that into consideration. I've had a Shadow 700, Shadow 1100, lots of VTX1800s, plus a lot of weird bikes like the Valkyrie and Rocket 3. I now have my 2015 Diavel for 3 years. 2014 Vmax for almost 3 and a Super Duke 1290 for one month.

I test rode the XDiavel for about a 30 minutes and can I assure you it does not vibrate nearly as much as a heavy twin like the VTX1800. Vibration tolerance is subjective. It does get crazy over 100 mph though. It shakes so much at 130 it's hard to see straight lol.

Reliability is unquestionably poorer than a Japanese bike. After 17 bikes over 28 years, my Diavel has been in the shop for repairs more than all of them combined. The reservoirs leak and the fuel gauges go even on the new models.

The service has not been any different than my other bikes, in terms of cost. My regular Diavel service is $120 every 6k miles. Could be 10k miles but I live in Texas and it's toasty here. Only the timing belt service is overly expensive. My dealer quoted me $900 to do that. In contrast, the valve service on my Vmax was $450 but it didn't not require any shimming. You can save a few bucks bringing your own oil to the shop, which I do sometimes.

I'm 6'1" with a 32" inseam and I found it alright. I like the regular one better. The test drive will help you out with the rest. Happy Hunting.

Edited by TexasCruiser, 19 June 2017 - 04:55 PM.

#3 Diesel

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 06:00 AM

that's my custom nightrod on the left. it has character. I got an xdiavel because i fancied cruise control, power, speed, wheelies, and a comfortable size zero pillion. the xdiavel came with much more, launch control, colored display, crazy lean angels. I took my nightrod on some twisties going nothing more than 80kph :( with the x :d i could go 120 and a bit more. here the data recorded from my last ride

Posted Image

some faults tho, nothing is perfect. rear breaks servicing and whatnot yet all covered under warranty. Its very nimble. and lighter. had so much fun with it. till it split into four. once im back on my feet im going for round two :d

#4 Air_Cooled_Nut

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 863 posts
  • Diavel Model: Strada

Posted 19 June 2017 - 02:34 PM

View PostTexasCruiser, on 18 June 2017 - 09:02 PM, said:

Reliability is unquestionably poorer than a Japanese bike. After 17 bikes over 28 years, my Diavel has been in the shop for repairs more than all of them combined. The reservoirs leak and the fuel gauges go even on the new models.

The service has not been any different than my other bikes, in terms of cost. My regular Diavel service is $120 every 6k miles. Could be 10k miles but I live in Texas and it's toasty here. Only the timing belt service is overly expensive. My dealer quoted me $900 to do that. In contrast, the valve service on my Vmax was $450 but it didn't not require any shimming. You can save a few bucks bringing your own oil to the shop, which I do sometimes.

Oiling the chain is not a big deal, but you will want a lift instead of chasing your bike around trying to get the whole chain lubed.

I'm 6'1" with a 32" inseam and I found it alright. I like the regular one better. The test drive will help you out with the rest. Happy Hunting.

He's asking about the XDiavel, not the "just-Diavel". No chain to oil. Maintenance will be a little different as will breakdowns. Only issue w/my Diavel was the wiring harness @ the steering head and that got fixed.

Z06, ya gotta keep the RPMs above 3-4K, below that and most Ducati's complain (buck, vibrate, etc). They don't like being that low except at idle :nono My test ride was smooth and plenty of power. The only negative I had with the engine is blipping the throttle for downshifting, it's delayed due to the fly-by-wire and auto valve timing so expect that if you do it. Be sure you can take it on a test ride on the highway as well as in-town and in twisties. Most likely they will have you in Urban mode but if you can be cool (not arrogant) they might let you use Street, or at least Touring. The first one restricts power and is smoother for in-town, the other two give you all power at the top end (safety features adjust as well according to engine mode).

For what it's worth, I'm 5'10" and my inseam is almost 35.5" and no issues with either version of the Diavel.

#5 TexasCruiser

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 437 posts
  • Diavel Model: Black

Posted 19 June 2017 - 04:55 PM

View PostAir_Cooled_Nut, on 19 June 2017 - 02:34 PM, said:

He's asking about the XDiavel, not the "just-Diavel". No chain to oil. Maintenance will be a little different as will breakdowns.

Oh yeah, I knew he was talking about the X, just kinda forgot about the belt. I'll remove that part.

Edited by TexasCruiser, 19 June 2017 - 04:55 PM.

#6 Z06_Pilot

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 June 2017 - 05:07 PM

Thanks for the input folks,

Have 3 dealers in my area. first one has only a Diavel Carbon. Going to try the other two. The XDS does sound like a fairly persnickity bike. I hope the power/engine/handling make it worth the eccentricities it seems to have. I will definitely investigate an extended warranty.

The delay on blipping the throttle on downshifts does bother me a little. As with my cars, I heel/toe, blip the throttle to downshift at the last possible moment before turning in, so I am used to instant throttle response....hmmmm, we shall see.

Very interesting regarding what mode a dealer will let you ride in-this thing must really be a beast....Sounds like SPORT mode is out of the question :-)

#7 Bart

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Diavel Model: Carbon Black

Posted 22 June 2017 - 02:54 AM

Jeff, check your PM

Welcome from 1130cc!

#8 Z06_Pilot

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 June 2017 - 01:21 PM

thanks again folks. After a lengthy test ride, I brought the XDS home yesterday

#9 Air_Cooled_Nut

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 863 posts
  • Diavel Model: Strada

Posted 23 June 2017 - 07:21 PM

Congrats! After a few miles let us know how you feel about it, especially compared to your prior ride.

#10 diahewett

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 23 June 2017 - 08:07 PM

Congratulations my friend, you did it right.

I had one 2006 night rod , great bike. Then I had a 2012 vrod muscle, really bad and uncomfortable motorcycle, the worst ever, after that I switched to 2012 diavel carbon, great bike!! Then I have now xdiavel S, good, now with middle controls, really good.

So I think, Ducati is better than harley in terms of performance and comfort. You will like it for sure.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users