Brought home a playmate for the Diavel :)

31 replies to this topic

#1 Roadrunner

Expert Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,255 posts
  • Diavel Model: Carbon White

Posted 17 June 2017 - 06:13 PM

I've been toying with the idea of building a track bike but, I also wanted something I could use to go full fucking retard in the mountains with my crazy friends.....which happens far more frequently than track days. So after searching all of the local dealers and Cycle Trader, I almost ended up with a 1998 Ducati 916 with 268 original miles on it....but before I even made it over to look at the 916, I went to look at this thing. I never thought I'd be able to jew the dealer down as much as I did but, cash is king, as they say. I just kept saying "nope", it's more than I want to spend. "Nope, too much money...nope, nope, nope". "Hey, will you look at the time, I'm hungry". They finally came down to a very agreeable number, threw in a new set of tires, and the deal was done.

2011 Ducati 1198 SP - 10K miles, full service history, Ohlins suspension, forged Marchesini wheels, Termi system, quick shifter, slipper clutch, gear indicator, quick turn throttle tube, and power commander with custom tune - it's stupidity on an entirely different level. I almost forgot how much fun it was to ride these bonkers things he he

I have a new clutch pack on order and I need to get an open clutch cover to let out that sweet dry clutch rattle.

Of course, I picked a nice, sunny 111 degree day to buy another rolling BBQ....

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

Edited by Roadrunner, 17 June 2017 - 10:24 PM.

Remove Advertisements Sponsored Links

Diavel-Forum.com

#2 LArider

Expert Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,487 posts
  • Diavel Model: Dark

Posted 17 June 2017 - 06:21 PM

Nice!! wish i had a good back to ride these nowadays sigh..

#3 Roadrunner

Expert Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,255 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 06:26 PM

LArider, on 17 June 2017 - 06:21 PM, said:

Nice!! wish i had a good back to ride these nowadays sigh..

I'm sorry to say I know exactly how you feel lol. I'm gonna have to spend a day in the pool just from the ride home...but it's worth it :d. Honestly, that's one of the main reasons I decided to go with 1198. Having owned a 1098 for 8 years, I'm very familiar with the ergos and they are quite good for a tall guy. As long as I use my abs to keep my upper body straight and don't lean on the clip-ons, my back and wrists do quite well. My back and wrists still hurt me after riding the Diavel all day so I figured, why not be in pain on something like this too?

Guy logic :thumbup

#4 vik

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 964 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 07:35 PM

Great choice! Bravo. CLAP CLAP CLAP...

#5 Roadrunner

Expert Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,255 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 09:47 PM

vik, on 17 June 2017 - 07:35 PM, said:

Great choice! Bravo. CLAP CLAP CLAP...

Thanks! I was actually looking at 2008 MV F4R but it was a biposto and honestly, the older ones are not as smoking hot as the new ones :d...

And lookie what I found under that boring ass black clutch cover - new cover, clutch pack, springs, and spring caps will be here next week :scooter:

Posted Image

Edited by Roadrunner, 17 June 2017 - 10:28 PM.

#6 Roadrunner

Expert Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,255 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 10:21 PM

And lookie what was hiding behind the beautiful DP Pressure Plate! One completely roasted clutch pack :slam

Posted Image

Edited by Roadrunner, 17 June 2017 - 10:21 PM.

#7 ReidMcT

Emperor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,036 posts
  • Diavel Model: Carbon Red

Posted 18 June 2017 - 04:15 AM

LOL on the clutch story.

Good call, I think on the 1198. After the Diavel, I think a 916 would just seem anemic. We get spoiled.

I must say, when I read the title of this thread I was expecting a Brutale. Somehow you resisted the daily siren song... so far.

#8 ReidMcT

Emperor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,036 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 04:19 AM

You'll be flushing the hydraulic fluids soon, I'm sure. Consider also the forks; I'll bet they haven't been touched since new. Any idea on the schedule for belts and valves (or if they were done on schedule)?

#9 ReidMcT

Emperor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,036 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 04:20 AM

ReidMcT, on 18 June 2017 - 04:19 AM, said:

You'll be flushing the hydraulic fluids soon, I'm sure. Consider also the forks; I'll bet they haven't been touched since new. Any idea on the schedule for belts and valves (or if they were done on schedule)?

Air filter on the list, I'm sure.

DOH! Quoting myself! Meant to edit. sorry.

Edited by ReidMcT, 18 June 2017 - 04:21 AM.

#10 Roadrunner

Expert Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,255 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 05:02 AM

Yeah, the air filter will be next. The dealer did an oil change before I went and picked it up. Belts and valves were done at 7,800 miles but it's been two years so I'll go ahead and swap out the belts pretty soon. All of the hydraulics have been done - clutch fluid is even clean (which you never see on a 1098/1198 unless it was done yesterday. Brake pads are all new and forks were serviced too. They are amazing compared to the Sachs forks on my 1098 - suspension feels very well sorted but I'll go through and check the sag. I won't be riding it for at least the next week or so anyway. Supposed to 120 degrees on Monday....ugh

#11 Speed_Racerr

G'Day Mate!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,062 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 08:05 AM

nice rides

#12 Kenek

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 08:39 AM

Ducati's are f*ng beautiful

#13 Roadrunner

Expert Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,255 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 08:59 AM

Kenek, on 18 June 2017 - 08:39 AM, said:

Ducati's are f*ng beautiful

I agree :d
The 916 I was looking at was gorgeous but it was yellow. And even though I dig the color, the 916 has to be red/white imho. It had been sitting in a garage for nearly 20 years and I honestly didn't feel comfortable buying something that had been sitting idle for that long.

It would've looked great in my living room though

Edited by Roadrunner, 18 June 2017 - 08:59 AM.

#14 LArider

Expert Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,487 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 09:17 AM

I prefer the SP they were/are the top of the line for that series

#15 Rex in the Big Easy!

Expert Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,500 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 10:48 AM

Glad for you Bud....Variety is the spice of life!

Is your Diavel quicker than 1098 SP, or about what and what?

Enjoy.

safe/calm

#16 Roadrunner

Expert Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,255 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 11:35 AM

Rex in the Big Easy!, on 18 June 2017 - 10:48 AM, said:

Glad for you Bud....Variety is the spice of life!

Is your Diavel quicker than 1098 SP, or about what and what?

Enjoy.

safe/calm

I guess that depends. From 0-60 it might be but, it's hard to tell. From 0-100, 1/4 mile, or top speed, not a chance. The SP has been custom tuned and without the DTC on, it takes some serious throttle modulation to keep the front wheel down through 3rd gear. Not to mention. the SP comes stock with a quick shifter so you can bang through the gears without ever chopping the throttle.

#17 Rex in the Big Easy!

Expert Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,500 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 05:14 PM

Roadrunner, on 18 June 2017 - 11:35 AM, said:

I guess that depends. From 0-60 it might be but, it's hard to tell. From 0-100, 1/4 mile, or top speed, not a chance. The SP has been custom tuned and without the DTC on, it takes some serious throttle modulation to keep the front wheel down through 3rd gear. Not to mention. the SP comes stock with a quick shifter so you can bang through the gears without ever chopping the throttle.

Pls educate me Bud what the advantages, dry clutch vs. wet clutch in terms of performance, robustness, etc..???.
I always get a kick hearing a Duc w/dry clutch in action....Sounds like the engine's broken. :)

#18 Roadrunner

Expert Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,255 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 06:08 PM

Rex in the Big Easy!, on 18 June 2017 - 05:14 PM, said:

Pls educate me Bud what the advantages, dry clutch vs. wet clutch in terms of performance, robustness, etc..???.
I always get a kick hearing a Duc w/dry clutch in action....Sounds like the engine's broken. :)

The sound is exactly why dry clutches are so awesome!
Pros - no fluid drag on the clutch plates means more ponies to the rear wheel, ease of maintenance, engine oil stays cleaner longer since the dust is contained in the clutch, easier and cleaner to work on - it takes all of about 15 min to pull out the clutch pack.

On the other side, wet clutches stay cooler, last at least 3 times longer, have smoother engagement, and are a lot easier to modulate. But where's the fun in that :d

But this one isn't just a dry clutch, it's a dry slipper clutch. It prevents rear wheel chatter during quick downshifts. Pretty nice on a bike like the Duc that has a ton of engine braking already built in

Edited by Roadrunner, 19 June 2017 - 08:37 PM.

#19 Rex in the Big Easy!

Expert Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,500 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 07:19 PM

Great info...Thanks for sharing Bud.

With that said, I want a dry slipper clutch!

Just say for shits and giggles...(got $$$ to burn), can a Diavel be retrofitted??
I bet Dansax would go for same option as well....He's one bad ass little mo fo sportin his new Termi very shortly...Don't forget we need pics Bud! Gimme one with most prized stuffed animal on gas tank would sure be nice. :)

safe/calm

#20 Roadrunner

Expert Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,255 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 07:22 PM

Crop Duster fitted one to his DIavel. And EVR Slipper, I believe. Costly and a lot of work...but it looks and sounds awesome

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users