2017 super sports make Ducati great again ?

19 replies to this topic

#1 abuomar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts
  • Diavel Model: Dark

Posted 29 January 2017 - 02:56 PM

Just came back from Ohio IMS ,first look at the Super Sports and I am confused !! sale person confirmed this is the solution for my crowded garage, this bike will replace my sexy diavel for the weekends, my multistrada for my daily commute since it can be fitted with side bags,and the Panigale I am contemplating buying for a track bike. I threw a leg over it, and it didnt feel like any of the three , I couldn't find one reliable ride review, anyone here can shed some real facts about this bike ?

Remove Advertisements Sponsored Links

Diavel-Forum.com

#2 TexasCruiser

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 435 posts
  • Diavel Model: Black

Posted 29 January 2017 - 04:22 PM

Seems like a middle-of-the-road bike to me. A few reviews can be found in searching and none of them make a case to me.
That's a terrible sales pitch from your dealer. Let him know you're going to tell the entire interwebs that no one needs to buy Diavels, Multistradas or Panigales ever again. They should enjoy the 66% drop in sales. O.O

#3 Oneup008

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 480 posts
  • Diavel Model: Blue Corse Stripe

Posted 29 January 2017 - 07:19 PM

It's a return to the sport touring segment. Used to a have an ST4s, best all around ergonomics with an engine that pulled like a freight train to redline. I was sad to see the line discontinued for the more touring oriented Multistrada. I have high expectations for the new model and look forward to more thorough riding reviews and a test drive.

#4 Oneup008

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 29 January 2017 - 07:41 PM

http://www.sportride...rst-look#page-5

#5 albymangled

Bullshit Artiste'

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,380 posts
  • Diavel Model: Black

Posted 30 January 2017 - 01:14 AM

When my dealer has it in stock I will make a special trip to see it.

Looks pretty sporty but like it has more realistic ergonomics for a (soon to be) 58 year old.

#6 alilbrit

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
  • Diavel Model: Carbon Black

Posted 30 January 2017 - 09:43 AM

I had a look at the dealership and consider it a middle range sports tourer bike put together from a parts bin. I guess it will compete well with other bikes in that class, but no match for Diavel/Multi/Panigale type machines.

I ended up getting a Scrambler. Just something a little different.

#7 Oneup008

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 09:55 AM

No match because it's a different weapon: No "Fattie Rear 240"/No "Sit Up and Beg" Seating/No "Burn in City Driving".

#8 Cobra94

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 407 posts
  • Diavel Model: Carbon Red

Posted 30 January 2017 - 11:58 AM

Oneup008

Posted Yesterday, 10:19 PM
It's a return to the sport touring segment. Used to a have an ST4s, best all around ergonomics with an engine that pulled like a freight train to redline. I was sad to see the line discontinued for the more touring oriented Multistrada. I have high expectations for the new model and look forward to more thorough riding reviews and a test drive.

It maybe in their eyes but no where near where the ST's were when it came to sports touring. You won't be riding two-up with full luggage on this thing. I just hope it's a step towards bringing the ST's back because my Blackbird is getting older (14yrs) and would like to upgrade in a couple of years.

#9 Oneup008

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 12:48 PM

Add a removable rear top case, make sure the pillion and pilot seat is decent, termi dual pipes, and I can see doing some fun hard surface sport touring. My ST had I think 117 hp and was very flickable. I don't see this having less power or agility.

#10 Cobra94

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 02:23 PM

Less power and agility no but I don't think the ergonomics "rider triangle" will be comfortable for long distances (or the pillion seat). Ducati does have a solution for this though, they make all their fuel tanks small so you have to get of the bike every 150-180kms. :wink

#11 Oneup008

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 03:03 PM

The new 950 Multistrada has a 5.3 gallon tank, interesting.........

#12 Rex in the Big Easy!

Expert Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,499 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 05:18 PM

I don't think so...Looks like a typical 750cc class Japanese (slumped over/w/aching wrists) crotch rocket to me.
I'll take a low mileage pre-owned Panigale 1199 for the same $$$ instead. :)

#13 Cobra94

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 31 January 2017 - 07:31 AM

Oneup008

Posted Yesterday, 06:03 PM
The new 950 Multistrada has a 5.3 gallon tank, interesting.........

Definitely getting better, closer to my 23 liter tank in the 1100xx. If "touring" is anywhere in a bikes description a large tank is a must not because you have to ride 300km's between stops but because you can if you want to.

#14 Spunout

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 12:10 PM

I threw a leg over it at the motorcycle show and liked it. It looks like it will be comfortable to ride all day with a more upright seating position than the other pure sport bikes in the family. This could be the replacement for the ST3 if you get the taller windscreen and hard bags.

#15 CropDuster

A White Carbon is NOT an AMG

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,676 posts
  • Diavel Model: AMG

Posted 08 April 2017 - 05:46 PM

sales people will say ANYTHING to sell a bike....

#16 Kenek

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts
  • Diavel Model: Carbon White

Posted 22 April 2017 - 12:39 PM

I imagine some people would love a Panigale, but the ergos are so track-oriented that it's not a bike you (or at least me) would spend a few hours riding on a Sunday morning. It appears the SS is designed with the racy looks, but a more tame riding position for that Sunday ride. My dealer also mentioned something about retuned cams so the engine has slightly different performance parameters. I can't really see it as a long range ride however.

And the only true solution to a garage crowded with lots of motorcycles is a bigger garage.

#17 duc13

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts
  • Diavel Model: Dark

Posted 25 April 2017 - 04:01 AM

Not sure it will make Ducati great again but a semi comfortable sports bike cant be bad thing can it.

At my age now, the crotch rocket riding position gets a little old a little to quick now days.

I still prefer my old SS's though.

Attached File(s)

Edited by duc13, 25 April 2017 - 04:47 AM.

#18 jdkerner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
  • Diavel Model: XDiavel S

Posted 25 April 2017 - 06:28 AM

I have one on order and will compare with my XDS after I ride it a bit. I think there's a role for it, but agree it's silly for a salesman to take that approach. He should say it's great IN ADDITION to owning all of the other bikes!

#19 Kenek

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts
  • Diavel Model: Carbon White

Posted 25 April 2017 - 01:47 PM

View Postabuomar, on 29 January 2017 - 02:56 PM, said:

Just came back from Ohio IMS ,first look at the Super Sports and I am confused !! sale person confirmed this is the solution for my crowded garage, this bike will replace my sexy diavel for the weekends, my multistrada for my daily commute since it can be fitted with side bags,and the Panigale I am contemplating buying for a track bike. I threw a leg over it, and it didnt feel like any of the three , I couldn't find one reliable ride review, anyone here can shed some real facts about this bike ?

Here's your solution to a crowded garage

Attached File(s)

#20 Spunout

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 06:57 PM

I got to take this one out at the local demo ride days today. The bike felt light and maneuverable, the motor a little buzzy compared to the Diavel. I think it is a good compromise between a Panagale and a Diavel and a decent bike for someone wanting a sporty ride but not a race bike. That being said there was still some pressure on my palms and the seat felt a little high with the ergonomics a bit cramped for my 188cm build. I did not feel I could tuck in much behind the windscreen. Decent acceleration, decent brakes, this would be a good all rounder for someone. Lets see if you can get some hard bags and a bigger windscreen and you may have a possible ST4 replacement.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users