19 replies to this topic

#1 Nunya_Binnez

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • Diavel Model: Cromo

Posted 27 June 2013 - 04:16 PM

I have what imho is a neat idea, but lack the wherewithal to implement it.

I was looking into headlight modulators after having one too many near head-on collisions with distracted drivers on country roads, with little real success. It occurred to me that it is plausible to modulate or strobe the LED on the headlight and as I pondered it I realized there would be issues at night. Upon further pondering, it occurred to me that the instruments have light sensors that control the background color of the TFT and backlight of the LCD. Hmmm....

Well, since I haven't the requisite skills/tools to perform this mod, I thought I'd run it up the flagpole and see if anyone on here salutes it.

Just a thought.

NDB

Remove Advertisements Sponsored Links

Diavel-Forum.com

#2 Coop

Expert Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,752 posts
  • Diavel Model: Carbon Black

Posted 27 June 2013 - 04:25 PM

I wonder if that is something that Wayne at Tuneboy can do through his electronic wizardry?

:d

#3 916hoon

Expert Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,395 posts
  • Diavel Model: Red

Posted 28 June 2013 - 06:32 AM

Would be worth trying?

But I can't help thinking that if they are not seeing you on a Diavel a winking light probably won't help much.

#4 honda21

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 10:15 AM

W

View PostNunya_Binnez, on 27 June 2013 - 04:16 PM, said:

it is plausible to modulate or strobe the LED on the headlight and as I pondered it I realized there would be issues at night.

What issues would there be by strobing the LED strip? I can see a strobing Hi or Low beam being a nuissance, but not the LED strip. ? In addition, if you were looking to add more light/attention to the front of the motorcycle, what about a mod that would keep the amber turn signals ON until activated, or illuminated mirrors? More brainstorming...

#5 Coop

Expert Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,752 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 02:18 PM

Those ideas might work too.
But I still think that the best way to avoid being hit is to ride like you're invisible.
My new car has the brightest and most distinct daytime running lights that I've seen, but I still had a driver nearly have a head on collision with me yesterday because he completely cut a corner because he obviously didn't see me coming toward him.

:d

#6 fred

Expert Member

• Global Moderators
  • 4,217 posts
  • Diavel Model: Black

Posted 28 June 2013 - 03:00 PM

Check out this...it's easier:

Skene Design's visibility lighting systems are designed to enhance your visibility on the road.
Using our proprietary, patented, conspicuity flicker, our Photon Blaster and P3 Lights systems are very effective at attracting the attention of those who are not paying attention. When other drivers notice you, they are much less likely to violate your right of way.
The product portfolio consists of complete systems incorporating a lighting controller, two LED modules and mounting brackets, as well as separately available intelligent lighting controllers, LED modules, which we call Photon Boosters, and a variety of LED module mounting brackets.

Photon Blaster
Posted ImageFront mounted visibility lighting system helps ensure that oncoming traffic sees you.
Incorporates conspicuity flicker and optional turn signal capability.

The Photon Blaster control module is available separately as the IQ-150.

P3 Lights
Posted ImageRear mounted visibility lighting system helps ensure that following traffic sees you.
Incorporates conspicuity flicker, tail light, brake light and optional turn signal capability.

The P3 Lights control module is available separately as the IQ-160.

IQ-150 - Front Visibility Lighting Controller
Posted ImageThe IQ-150 controller powers add-on front visibility lights, providing them with our highly effective and unique conspicuity flicker.
The IQ-150-TS model adds turn signal capability to add-on lights and also converts existing turn signals into visibility lights.

or do what I do :
ride with your high beam on
ride heavy near the center dividing line when cars enter upcoming intersections (move to the center of the road, it is the most visible place you can be)
do a slight weave when adjusting my position to try to get the drivers attention.
let off the throttle and always cover your brakes.

Edited by fred, 28 June 2013 - 03:08 PM.

#7 Nunya_Binnez

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 08:05 AM

Regarding the usefulness of a headlight modulator or any other "visibility enhancing " mod, I figure that it couldn't make me LESS safe, and if it prevents one potential incident, it's worth doing.

NDB

#8 Brass Knuckles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 11:42 AM

I'm with you on that. Been looking for a modulator since I bought the bike. No luck.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

#9 Sonic Duck

Expert Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,446 posts
  • Diavel Model: No Diavel Yet

Posted 29 June 2013 - 04:06 PM

View Posthonda21, on 28 June 2013 - 10:15 AM, said:

In addition, if you were looking to add more light/attention to the front of the motorcycle, what about a mod that would keep the amber turn signals ON until activated,

I've asked Emma at Tuneboy about this and it hasn't been dismissed out of hand but Wayne has been too busy to have a look at getting it working. :(

That being said, there are these: http://www.customled...gic_blinker.htm

But I'm going to wait a bit for a click and go solution for my tuneboy before hacking into the Diavel's wiring. :)

Edited by Sonic Duck, 29 June 2013 - 05:10 PM.

#10 Nunya_Binnez

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 05:00 PM

On a similar note, I have been exchanging emails with Bernard at Vizible Technologies about a version of their SupaBrake II (SB-II) product for the Diavel (plug and play). He told me that since the Diavel has two separate connections for the tail lights, it's more work and more $ to produce than for the other Ducati models they offer the product for. He stated that if there were enough demand, he would probably be able to start producing them later in the summer when the demand for the existing products slows a bit. He told me that would do a one-off for me, as he had done for a couple of other Diavel owners, but because there are more connectors and wire required, it would be a little more than the other models.

Long story longer, I told him I'd mention it on the forum and see if I can drum up enough demand to make it worth his while to get moving on it, so here it is.

I obviously want one. :p:

NDB

#11 Slide

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 02:58 PM

I like the flashing LED idea. Much less distracting than a traditional headlight modulator but should still get some extra attention.

#12 Keytickler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 11:07 AM

I'm a fan of headlight modulators, and have them on my Yamaha FZ1, made by Kisan. I also installed a BackOff brake light flasher unit on that bike. For sure it make me more easily noticed when I am on the road.

Though I have inquired on this board and of my dealer, apparently there are no similar off the shelf kits for these modes for the Diavel. My dealer told me that the electronics of the Diavel would not handle these mods. I don't know if I should believe this or not. But, if plug and play units did become available, I would be interested.

Keytickler

#13 Elchino

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Diavel Model: Carbon Red

Posted 31 July 2013 - 04:22 PM

I had a flashing rear brake light on a BMW F800 and it worked very well!!! I was really noticed by drivers - they would stop further away from the bike than now when I am on the diavel. Wel...maybe they just want to get a closer look at the DIAVELLLLLL!!!

#14 Diavelstrada

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 984 posts
  • Diavel Model: Strada

Posted 31 July 2013 - 09:30 PM

What about a little hi viz micro prism tape that would really stand out during the day and once light hits it day or night, it reflects light right back at you like a laser to the eye. You could put some just around license plate rear tire cover and maybe have a nice DUCATI decal cut out and place on maybe the lowest part of your front windshield if equipped with one or the like for incoming head on traffic to better see you. To give you a idea here's a couple pictures I've found on the Internet.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#15 Diavelstrada

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 984 posts
  • Diavel Model: Strada

Posted 31 July 2013 - 09:35 PM

This micro prism tape comes in all sorts of colors that would work the same once hit by light but to be seen during the day, it might be best to go with a higher viz color.

#16 Sonic Duck

Expert Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,446 posts
  • Diavel Model: No Diavel Yet

Posted 05 August 2013 - 01:41 PM

View PostElchino, on 31 July 2013 - 04:22 PM, said:

I had a flashing rear brake light on a BMW F800 and it worked very well!!! I was really noticed by drivers - they would stop further away from the bike than now when I am on the diavel. Wel...maybe they just want to get a closer look at the DIAVELLLLLL!!!

YMMV, but I disconnect the light switch on the rear brake. That way, I can hold the bike in place with the rear while I use the front to flash the brake lights as people approach. Works great, especially on the Diavel, the shape of the tail lights and the difference in brightness between running and brake lights seems to really get people's attention...especially when I'm tapping away on the front brake lever to give a strobe effect. (handy byproduct of LEDs).

#17 stevieB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
  • Diavel Model: Dark

Posted 06 August 2013 - 12:15 PM

View PostNunya_Binnez, on 29 June 2013 - 05:00 PM, said:

On a similar note, I have been exchanging emails with Bernard at Vizible Technologies about a version of their SupaBrake II (SB-II) product for the Diavel (plug and play). He told me that since the Diavel has two separate connections for the tail lights, it's more work and more $ to produce than for the other Ducati models they offer the product for. He stated that if there were enough demand, he would probably be able to start producing them later in the summer when the demand for the existing products slows a bit. He told me that would do a one-off for me, as he had done for a couple of other Diavel owners, but because there are more connectors and wire required, it would be a little more than the other models.

Long story longer, I told him I'd mention it on the forum and see if I can drum up enough demand to make it worth his while to get moving on it, so here it is.

I obviously want one. :p:

NDB
I'd be interested to see it.

#18 JoganJani

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 991 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 09:53 PM

Here is an answer from vizi-tec's Bernard

#19 Dark'n'KLR

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Diavel Model: Dark

Posted 24 September 2013 - 08:13 AM

Forget strobing the LEDs, (as an epileptic I HATE strobed lights), go with the Night Rider look.

http://www.urban-neo...s/D/scanner.gif

#20 BlueToad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 10:05 AM

Snail Helmet Strobe.

Attached File(s)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users