91 replies to this topic

#1 Malcvtr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 440 posts
  • Diavel Model: Red

Posted 13 May 2011 - 12:05 PM

I can't believe they expect you to go to a dealer just to have your chain adjusted! If I walk into a dealer and say, "Please mister, will you adjust the chain on my bike please?" I expect them tp laugh and tell me to go away...

So... I see that there are two bolts to undo on the underside of the swingarm, but then what? Is a special tool required?

:shifty

Edited by Malcvtr, 25 August 2011 - 07:51 AM.

Remove Advertisements Sponsored Links

Diavel-Forum.com

#2 BobC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 422 posts
  • Diavel Model: Carbon Black

Posted 13 May 2011 - 12:22 PM

You need a big spanner wrench to turn the eccentric spool from what I heard. You can see the spanner nut if you look.

#3 Baz Turd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 616 posts
  • Diavel Model: Carbon Red

Posted 13 May 2011 - 01:11 PM

check out this u tube clip, its not a diavel but should give you a clue as to what to do.

#4 Malcvtr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 440 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 01:33 PM

Yeah, that's interesting. He didn't use a special tool, just slackened off the two bolts (which are on the top of the swingarm on that model, but on the bottom on the Diavel) and then turned the eccentric by using the chainguard as a lever. Soooo, does anyone know if we can do that on the Diavel? If not, anyone know the size of the C-spanner or whatever it is that you need to buy? Could this be the first Diavel-forum group buy to get a discount?

So many questions just to adjust the f^<king chain! Why didn't they put the instructions in the manual? Whay do they say you have to take it to a dealer to do a job we've all done a billion times on other bikes? I just don't get it.

I still love the bike of course :shifty

#5 General Lee

Expert Member

• Administrators
  • 3,010 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 01:51 PM

Malcvtr, on 13 May 2011 - 01:33 PM, said:

Yeah, that's interesting. He didn't use a special tool, just slackened off the two bolts (which are on the top of the swingarm on that model, but on the bottom on the Diavel) and then turned the eccentric by using the chainguard as a lever. Soooo, does anyone know if we can do that on the Diavel? If not, anyone know the size of the C-spanner or whatever it is that you need to buy? Could this be the first Diavel-forum group buy to get a discount?

So many questions just to adjust the f^<king chain! Why didn't they put the instructions in the manual? Whay do they say you have to take it to a dealer to do a job we've all done a billion times on other bikes? I just don't get it.

I still love the bike of course :shifty

There should have been a spanner in the tool kit. If that's not the case, Ducati needs to rethink things a bit. You can also use a rubber mallet and a flat-head screwdriver to lightly tap the cogs on the eccentric in the direction you need to tighten or loosen. I'm surprised the owner's manual has nothing in there about the correct tools to use and the torque spec for the bolts. They just show the adjustment tolerance and the two pinch bolts. Looks like I should probably do some youtube videos as I break in the bike to show people how to do stuff since it'll probably be a while before anyone has a service manual PDF for sale.

#6 Malcvtr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 440 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 02:17 PM

General Lee, on 13 May 2011 - 01:51 PM, said:

I'm surprised the owner's manual has nothing in there about the correct tools to use and the torque spec for the bolts. They just show the adjustment tolerance and the two pinch bolts. Looks like I should probably do some youtube videos as I break in the bike to show people how to do stuff.

Good man! I look forward to them. Really helpful :shifty

#7 diavel666

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • Diavel Model: Black

Posted 13 May 2011 - 06:02 PM

The mechanic showed me how to do it. First he loosened the two bolts shown in in the owners manual. He told me not to loosen them so much that they fall out. He said to buy a 10mm Allan socket and said Sears carried them. He used a 10mm drill bit the base of it to reference the measurement for the tension. Now he had this tool he used to adjust the off centre whatever to tighten the chainit is the teeth directly behind the chain sprocket. It was I guess a C spanner and said to order it from Ducati. This was a very large Item it would not fit under our seats. My question is does anyone know the exact name and size of this tool so I can buy it and not order it from Ducati, I can't see how this would be a custom tool.

#8 Thewolf

Expert Member

• Global Moderators
  • 2,194 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 12:13 AM

Chain adjustment is pretty simple... as diavel666 stated. There is a diagram i made showing the bolts and the eccentric adjuster in Another thread on this topic

The tool isn't specific to Ducati (Triumphs, Hondas and many others use the same "Elf Single Sided Swingarm" configuration) but an ebay search for "Ducati chain tool" returns these among others

Ebay link (2 piece tool) - more suitable to carry on bike

Ebay link (1 piece tool) - more suitable for workshop

#9 Malcvtr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 440 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 11:09 AM

Cool. The tool links are useful Wolf. Thanks for that. I don't suppose you know the torque setting for the two swingarm bolts?

Thanks too diavel666, but I didn't understand this bit of your post: "He used a 10mm drill bit the base of it to reference the measurement for the tension". Is there an explanation for dummies :shifty

#10 diavel666

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • Diavel Model: Black

Posted 14 May 2011 - 11:55 AM

The play should be between 9-11mm. As evident from the manual it shows what to line up for the measurement. Rather than put a measuring tape into the area my mechanic used an old 10mm drill bit (the back end) and put it into proximity as a measure of the play. The thickness of the drill bit is a template for easily measuring the required play.

#11 Malcvtr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 440 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 01:53 PM

Ah! Message received and understood. :shifty

#12 JHP

Expert Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,035 posts
  • Diavel Model: Carbon Black

Posted 18 May 2011 - 10:08 AM

diavel666, on 14 May 2011 - 11:55 AM, said:

The play should be between 9-11mm. As evident from the manual it shows what to line up for the measurement. Rather than put a measuring tape into the area my mechanic used an old 10mm drill bit (the back end) and put it into proximity as a measure of the play. The thickness of the drill bit is a template for easily measuring the required play.

Does the rear wheel need to be hanging with no load while the chain is adjusted? I saw this on a youtube clip that was supposedly done by a Ducati mechanic class. They used a center bike stand or jack to raise it up and then adjust the chain.

#13 General Lee

Expert Member

• Administrators
  • 3,010 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 12:05 PM

JHP, on 18 May 2011 - 10:08 AM, said:

Does the rear wheel need to be hanging with no load while the chain is adjusted? I saw this on a youtube clip that was supposedly done by a Ducati mechanic class. They used a center bike stand or jack to raise it up and then adjust the chain.

I'm pretty sure the manual states the bike should be on it's side stand when adjusted. If you put the bike up on a centerstand (which the Diavel doesn't have), the swingarm will be fully extended and change the amount of slack you'll end up with when the rear compresses. That ~10mm of of play takes into account the loss of slack as the rear compresses. Too little slack and you'll stretch your chain when you hit any big bumps in the road...

#14 Hui

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 301 posts
  • Diavel Model: No Diavel Yet

Posted 18 May 2011 - 09:38 PM

General Lee, on 18 May 2011 - 12:05 PM, said:

I'm pretty sure the manual states the bike should be on it's side stand when adjusted. If you put the bike up on a centerstand (which the Diavel doesn't have), the swingarm will be fully extended and change the amount of slack you'll end up with when the rear compresses. That ~10mm of of play takes into account the loss of slack as the rear compresses. Too little slack and you'll stretch your chain when you hit any big bumps in the road...

You also run the risk (high) of damaging the geabox output shaft bearing (the one behind the chain sprocket) due to a chain thats too tight.
I've done a few damaged gearboxes because of this !!

#15 Baz Turd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 02:11 AM

Does anyone know what torque the two bolts (10mm Allen Heads) should be set to? These are the eccentric locking bolts underneath.

I recently did a 500+ mile trip and found my chain was pretty slack after.... The two locking bolts were very easy to undo (not loose but just snug)

My chart says a 10mm allen bolt should be tightened to 76nm but this felt way tighter than it was when I undid them and I was worried about stripping the thread in the alloy swing arm so they are tight now but only 45nm.. Anyone know the correct torque?

#16 Malcvtr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 440 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 08:45 AM

Baz Turd, on 06 June 2011 - 02:11 AM, said:

Does anyone know what torque the two bolts (10mm Allen Heads) should be set to? These are the eccentric locking bolts underneath.

I recently did a 500+ mile trip and found my chain was pretty slack after.... The two locking bolts were very easy to undo (not loose but just snug)

My chart says a 10mm allen bolt should be tightened to 76nm but this felt way tighter than it was when I undid them and I was worried about stripping the thread in the alloy swing arm so they are tight now but only 45nm.. Anyone know the correct torque?

Baz's question is an important one. Anyone know? I'm going to have to adjust my chain soon and have the following additional question: the manual says you need to have it on the side stand to measure the slack, but if you have the rear end up on a paddock stand is that still OK? Most of the weight is still being taken by the rear suspension, I guess...

#17 Captain Scarlet

Expert Member

• Global Moderators
  • 1,339 posts

Posted 19 June 2011 - 05:43 PM

Someone will probably answer this sooner, but I'm seeing a Ducati chief mechanic on Saturday and I'll ask him.

#18 Malcvtr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 440 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 10:09 AM

Captain Scarlet, on 19 June 2011 - 05:43 PM, said:

Someone will probably answer this sooner, but I'm seeing a Ducati chief mechanic on Saturday and I'll ask him.

Cool. This will move the thread along :mrgreen

#19 Malcvtr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 440 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 09:14 AM

Right, I've just checked my chain tension and it's at 15mm, well outside the 9mm - 11mm range specified in the handbook (I must admit that sounds a very narrow range to me, but c'est la vie). I've only done just over a thousand miles, so loads of the rest of you must have done this job by now. I only have one question and it's the same as Baz's - what should the swingarm bolts be torqued up to once the adjustment has been made? If you have done the job, a response would be great :welcome

#20 Captain Scarlet

Expert Member

• Global Moderators
  • 1,339 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 03:17 PM

Advise from a highly qualified Ducati mechanic: It's 35 Nm. It's better the run the chain marginally loose, so long as it's not hitting the swingarm.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users