#1 WilliamDuc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  • Diavel Model: Red

Posted 15 April 2016 - 02:34 AM

Found this little nugget:

"Sorry, didn't recognize your name. Of course you are 100 times more qualified than me to evaluate the motorcycle. Sorry if I offended you in any way. I have been riding Harleys for 30 years and have put 200,000 miles on them. Still ride a 2007 Softail Custom every day. Also bought a 2015 KTM 1190 Adventure R last January and have put 10,000 miles on it. The KTM has the RC8R superbike engine in it so I know how a sport bike engine runs. But I don't like sport bikes and have never ridden one. In your review you were trying hard to compare the XDiavel to a cruiser, but it doesn't equate: Engine size 1262cc (Harleys are now 1688cc to 1800cc). Torque peak at 5000 rpm (Harleys have a torque peak at 2500 to 3500 rpm). So the Harley will be rumbling while the XDiavel will be screaming [Sound]. The new Low Rider S has a torque peak of 115 ft lbs compared to 95 ft lbs for the XDiavel. As you mentioned, the XDiavel runs very smoothly whereas Harleys run rough. You can really feel the vibration of the engine [Feel]. Finally the look: Harleys have a unique bad-ass and fearsome look, feel and sound that Harley riders love. That is why the Japanese have not been able to conquer this market. The XDiavel looks girly in comparison [Look]. Seat height is almost 30 inches whereas most Harleys are 26 inches. The best thing I can say about the XDiavel is that it is a "cruiser" for sport bike fans."

I have to agree with this 'from the hip' assessment. I mean it is comparable to the V-Rod, but not traditional Harleys.

Reference^
https://rideapart.co...de-review-video

Remove Advertisements Sponsored Links

Diavel-Forum.com

#2 TexasCruiser

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 437 posts
  • Diavel Model: Black

Posted 15 April 2016 - 08:02 AM

No one is better than Harley at marketing. The fact this guy thinks Harleys look fearsome is proof. They look like a million other Harleys ridden by old dudes and large women. I think he's confusing the grungy bike gangster look with the bike.

#3 CropDuster

A White Carbon is NOT an AMG

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,676 posts
  • Diavel Model: AMG

Posted 15 April 2016 - 07:04 PM

oh it's a nugget alright,
the adventurer and the RC8R share the same capacity and layout, the adventurer engine is hardly the same as a RC8R

he doesn't like sports bikes but has never ridden one.

I doubt he's ridden the diavel either

Typical Harley dickhead brainwashed by the reflection of chrome, all that rings in his puny mind is the phone number for the recovery vehicle, now repeat after me "harley is best" to fade or until you're completely wasted on Jack Daniels and you lust after a "live to ride" bandanna and every other cliche that the marketing dept can offload.....

yes, i know i'm stereo typing harley riders, but really, look around, they're all the bloody same, they think they're "different" "original" or a "free spirit", shame they all drink from the same trough and buy exactly the same shit!
And yes, i've ridden harleys, a few in fact, no i won't be owning one anytime soon, but to each their own

#4 Badrags

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Diavel Model: Carbon Black

Posted 16 April 2016 - 02:03 PM

Trolling

#5 Seadiver

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Diavel Model: XDiavel S

Posted 19 April 2016 - 04:37 PM

Of course every man rides what he likes...BBR.

I have a friend that has owned numerous bikes. He last had BMWs until he bought his HD. What a change? He stopped wearing full-face helmets and opted for the little bowl helmet. He got the HD gear. And now is critical of other bikes/riders who do not ride "the brand."

At times he is obnoxious about it all. I hand the grief back to him and ignore the rest as I have known him since we were kids.

The thing that amazed me was how he changed. Do they give these guys "shock treatments" at the HD dealership?? :hammerhead

Enjoy the ride...ride safe!

AW

#6 Corsacreek

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
  • Diavel Model: Carbon White

Posted 06 September 2016 - 07:37 PM

I met enough disgruntle HD riders who still buy the brand but are truthful about its shortcomings. One thing is for sure about most, they are brainwashed and could careless about performance. The old timers will call it for what it is, heritage and comfort. Met a 75 year old rider who lived during the war between Indian and HD and he rides both. Never cared about anything involving fuel injection nor abs. The word "performance" never came in his vocabulary when describing his motorcycles.

Edited by Corsacreek, 06 September 2016 - 07:37 PM.

#7 ConR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  • Diavel Model: No Diavel Yet

Posted 26 September 2016 - 09:24 PM

I agree that anyone shopping for a Softail would probably not be shopping for an XDiavel. They're completely different bikes.

I was interested in getting back into a cruiser. So I test rode the XDIavel and Softail Breakout back to back. XDiavel first. The power is ludicrous. You feel like it's going to rip your arms off because of the forward controls, yet it leans in like a naked. But at the same time, the bars vibrated alot, and the seat and leg position made my bum and legs VERY hot.

The Softail felt like a snail after riding the XDiavel. Slow...and I mean very slow when compared to the XDiavel. I couldn't lean it more than 10-15 degrees without scraping the pegs. But it was smooth. No vibrations of any form because of the engine mounts, which are not rubber like they are on the Dynas. The torque was endless in any gear. They also look killer, have endless customizations on offer, and drop in a Stage 4 103 kit and it becomes a screamer.

It's like comparing apples and oranges though. They are not the same bike in any way shape or form, and are geared towards different audiences. A person who buys a Harley never cares about handing! Because they don't handle!

I've owned three Harleys in my life: an 883, a 48, and a Street Bob. All excellent bikes I loved, but were fit for purpose: crusing around town and nothing else. But damn do you look good when you're cruising around! Here's a Breakout as an e.g.

Posted Image

Edited by ConR, 26 September 2016 - 09:30 PM.

#8 Hijodelantorcha

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 28 September 2016 - 06:28 AM

If heritage aesthetics (even heavily customized variations) is what motivates you, then H-D has you covered. But I really love the innovative aesthetic that the Italians have brought to the xDiavel...not a customization but rather an evolution. Plus, even the person who prefers to cruise has got to enjoy knowing that performance is available in abundance whenever you feel the urge to carve up some asphalt. I'm getting older but I'm not dead yet. Give me the Ducati. It'll paint up just as pretty!

Edited by Hijodelantorcha, 28 September 2016 - 06:30 AM.

#9 Hijodelantorcha

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 28 September 2016 - 06:29 AM

BTW - don't forget that Ducati USA is offering 0 down and 0% on new Diavel and xDiavel purchases to qualified buyers. Special financing offer ends Friday the 30th of September, 2016. Time to pull the trigger! LOL

Edited by Hijodelantorcha, 28 September 2016 - 06:34 AM.

#10 Okie Duc

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 28 September 2016 - 09:35 AM

View PostHijodelantorcha, on 28 September 2016 - 06:29 AM, said:

BTW - don't forget that Ducati USA is offering 0 down and 0% on new Diavel and xDiavel purchases to qualified buyers. Special financing offer ends Friday the 30th of September, 2016. Time to pull the trigger! LOL

Took advantage of that when it first was released. Nothing like leveraging someone else's money for a purchase.

#11 gone

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 28 September 2016 - 03:55 PM

View PostHijodelantorcha, on 28 September 2016 - 06:28 AM, said:

If heritage aesthetics (even heavily customized variations) is what motivates you, then H-D has you covered. But I really love the innovative aesthetic that the Italians have brought to the xDiavel...not a customization but rather an evolution. Plus, even the person who prefers to cruise has got to enjoy knowing that performance is available in abundance whenever you feel the urge to carve up some asphalt. I'm getting older but I'm not dead yet. Give me the Ducati. It'll paint up just as pretty!

I too am an x Harley guy. My XDS is my favorite bike to date. I got only 550 miles on it but I am sure. It bothered me, somewhat the the Harley dealers in CT were overpricing their bikes for years. CVO's were am uptick of 5K over list plus transportation and setup. I know capitalism allows the market to price itself. I know of a dozen new Harley owners that barely ride their bike. They just had to have a Harley. One friend of mine ride his 2007 Harley to the dealer for an oil change in the beginning of the season and at the end of the season. My XDS will be ridden. I am done with Harley. I'm not "anti" but just done. My Ducati dealer was willing to work with me and had patience for my questions. I look forward to leaving this bike to my son. For me it blends my style with power and comfort, even with some saying the rear shock bottoms out. I had the dealer set it up for my weight (236 lbs) and find it quite nice on my roads I ride. Enjoy your Italian rolling art. Ride safe.

#12 JBurg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • Diavel Model: XDiavel

Posted 01 October 2016 - 04:14 PM

View PostOkie Duc, on 28 September 2016 - 09:35 AM, said:

Took advantage of that when it first was released. Nothing like leveraging someone else's money for a purchase.

Right?!?! We were gonna pay cash but then the dealer brought this up to expedite things by a week (transfers between banks and then coming back to pick the thing up.) Zero percent fixed? Uh, yeah! Took it home the next day.

#13 Hvrnaut

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
  • Diavel Model: Dark

Posted 04 October 2016 - 08:59 PM

I started to read this thread thinking it might be interesting to know what a HD guy thinks of the Diavel. Thankfully, I instantly came to my senses and realized that I really don't give a f*ck.

#14 TexasCruiser

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 437 posts
  • Diavel Model: Black

Posted 08 October 2016 - 08:12 PM

After reading Yamaha is discontinuing the Vmax because of the Euro green house tree hugging crap. I was contemplating what my next ride will be. Spotted this thread again and used to slap myself out of every buying another cruiser.

#15 Gerb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
  • Diavel Model: Dark

Posted 09 October 2016 - 06:09 PM

View PostHvrnaut, on 04 October 2016 - 08:59 PM, said:

I started to read this thread thinking it might be interesting to know what a HD guy thinks of the Diavel. Thankfully, I instantly came to my senses and realized that I really don't give a f*ck.

Haha, thats a 10''

#16 Rex in the Big Easy!

Expert Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,500 posts
  • Diavel Model: Carbon Red

Posted 19 November 2016 - 09:22 AM

Other than being so pedestrian....My biggest complaint with HD....

Slower than molasses, running uphill on a winter day.
Meanwhile, the ear shattering noise it makes all that necessary?
Have your window rolled down, then get passed on the left by one or more at full throttle....FUCK me! Thanks for headache assholes. :)

#17 Jim

Expert Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,925 posts

Posted 19 November 2016 - 03:43 PM

I'm not sure guys look "badass' on Harleys. I always get flashbacks to the biker gang from Any Which Way But Lose and laugh a little bit. I have friends who ride them and love them. As long as they're enjoying it, who cares?

Ducati riders stereotyping is pretty ironic, when we're one of the groups stereo-typed by others....

#18 calabashmc

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 09:57 PM

I took an XDiavel for a test ride, went home and listed my 2012 Night Rod Special for sale that night. I have now just sold the Vrod and hoping to be picking up the XDiavel in a few weeks.
I've had a few Harley's in my time, they have all been fun and chicks love to get on the back (I'm pretty sure it's the vibration). I've had the Vrod for a couple of years and really liked it, although the girls don't like to get on it like with traditional Harleys. I really had no intention of selling it, thought I'd keep it for years, then just for kicks I took the XD for a test ride. Holy Crap! Getting back on the Vrod after that ride was like going from a Ferrari to a bus. I wish I never rode that XD, it's all I can think of, I just have to get one! So now I have no bike until I can come up with an extra $10k. Might have to sell a kidney or something. Hopefully a dealer demo will come up to shave a bit of the price off. Hardly any used ones for sale here in Australia, early days I guess.

#19 AC74

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 831 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 11:12 PM

Unfortunately, one test ride is all it takes.
Just think how you'll feel when you can ride it when you want and can light it up.

#20 Oneup008

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 484 posts
  • Diavel Model: Blue Corse Stripe

Posted 15 February 2017 - 10:45 PM

On the upside you can do just fine on one good kidney.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users