20 replies to this topic

#1 Mobilis in Mobile

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
  • Diavel Model: Carbon Red

Posted 06 March 2013 - 05:40 AM

This is my first time ever on a race track. Having nice, sweeping, open-view turns with good tarmac is something else in terms of overall confidence and fun.

In the video, we follow the Pace Car learning the lines. Riders of all levels participated, so you'll see a couple of very wide turns and some off-roading (not mine, fortunately).

Remove Advertisements Sponsored Links

Diavel-Forum.com

#2 Coop

Expert Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,834 posts
  • Diavel Model: Carbon Black

Posted 06 March 2013 - 10:46 AM

Awesome vid. Loved it.
Great choice of music, and it was great to hear the engine interspersed through there as well.
Can't wait until my next track day now.
5 stars.

:d

#3 JoganJani

Expert Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,034 posts
  • Diavel Model: Red

Posted 06 March 2013 - 11:02 AM

Nice!

I want to take mine to the track. However, I do not know anything about how to prep, what needs to be done etc. I saw local track websites and I do not understand the lingo they use. Can somebody help on a primer for a newbie ? Any links or words of wisdom?

#4 Coop

Expert Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,834 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 11:11 AM

Well, at our track days over here (Australia) you just need to turn up with a bike that is fully operational with no oil leaks, properly adjusted chain, steering and throttle controls working etc.
And full leathers need to be worn too. But you can hire them at the track if you don't have any.
So a roadworthy bike would do, just take the mirrors off or cover them with tape, and off you go. Simple really, and lots of fun.

#5 Mobilis in Mobile

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 11:13 AM

View PostJoganJani, on 06 March 2013 - 11:02 AM, said:

I want to take mine to the track. However, I do not know anything about how to prep, what needs to be done etc. I saw local track websites and I do not understand the lingo they use. Can somebody help on a primer for a newbie ? Any links or words of wisdom?

This was my very first time and, in fact, it was meant to be as a free introduction to the race track. There was no preparation needed. We got split in groups and rode behind the pace car (no crazy passing, no excessive speed, etc.). This experience got me so excited that I have started to google around for "Track Days". You'll find a number of schools - especially in California - that have a variety of programs to introduce you and the Diavel to riding on tracks.

She's so fast and agile that I am sure we can have a blast.

Edited by Mobilis in Mobile, 06 March 2013 - 11:14 AM.

#6 bbourland

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Diavel Model: Black

Posted 06 March 2013 - 12:00 PM

Great job with the video!

#7 AMPJ8

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 914 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 12:34 PM

Great! This experience reminds me of a little spin I did on a small circuit nearby...

#8 JoganJani

Expert Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,034 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 02:09 PM

View PostMobilis in Mobile, on 06 March 2013 - 11:13 AM, said:

You'll find a number of schools - especially in California - that have a variety of programs to introduce you and the Diavel to riding on tracks.

I've checked Keith Codes Superbike School, that is so expensive. If you know any other, please let me know. I know they book fast once the schedule is published.

Coop, I heard from a one rider that they need you to flush the radiator and use only water, take all mirrors off etc.

#9 Coop

Expert Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,834 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 02:19 PM

Different places would have different rules I guess, but swapping out your coolant seems extreme to me.
The Superbike School is expensive, but worth every cent. I've done the first two CSS and I was surprised how much I learnt each time. It's a wonder I lived this long with the things I was doing wrong.

#10 Mobilis in Mobile

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 02:34 PM

I am checking them out myself. On the East Coast we have http://www.tonystrackdays.com/ that has good reviews for beginners. CSS is also on my list

#11 Latefine

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 01:55 PM

I'd love to know how you mounted your camera and where for the first video of this post. Great shots.

#12 Mobilis in Mobile

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 02:06 PM

I used the standard GoPro Hero2 suction cup and attached it to the battery cover. The camera tendsto face a bit to the right due to the bend of the battery cover but the wide angle lense compensates for this. You could try to extend the arm out instead then up but then you run the risk of touching the ground when leaning. Next time I set it up i'll take a picture.

#13 Wahoo!!

Expert Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,742 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 01:16 AM

In West Australia we just need protective clothing including armour but leathers are not compulsory in lower levels. All our lights and sharp bits are taped (mirror, number plate etc) and so is our speedo and revs readout (saves a loss of concentration). When you do lift it a little for the last lap, you are surprised at how fast you are going. We ride in groups of around 20 and have a few good instructors leading us. You simply just listen to the advise, try to follow the lines they pick for you and avoid passing on corners. Don't miss the briefing sessions as it is where you really learn detail.
My first was interesting, rode out following the coach and he turned backwards to look at us on the very first corner and he dropped his bike and I just missed him. Didn't inspire confidence but he was riding someone elses bike that had just put new tyres on it. Was a bit of chaos with some young guys pumped up and passing on the inside on corners but finally it settled after they crashed. The track sorts out idiots from talented riders pretty quick so don't ride beyond your limits. The hard part was getting used to riding so close to other riders but you need to trust them eventually. It was really great fun and helped so much in every day riding. The second time was far better and looking forward to the next track day.

#14 CANSchmidt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 02:22 AM

Great!
Yes, so much fun on race with the diavel....

#15 Leo167

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 316 posts
  • Diavel Model: Dark

Posted 15 April 2013 - 12:45 PM

View PostMobilis in Mobile, on 06 March 2013 - 05:40 AM, said:

This is my first time ever on a race track. Having nice, sweeping, open-view turns with good tarmac is something else in terms of overall confidence and fun.

In the video, we follow the Pace Car learning the lines. Riders of all levels participated, so you'll see a couple of very wide turns and some off-roading (not mine, fortunately).

Crap,, is that the only place for the inspection sticker, other than up by the cowl.. Which is even more fugly and visible

I was supposed to go to that open house.. Damn missed it had the tickets and all
Did you go further with Tony's ?

Edited by Leo167, 15 April 2013 - 12:48 PM.

#16 Mobilis in Mobile

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 12:54 PM

View PostLeo167, on 15 April 2013 - 12:45 PM, said:

Crap,, is that the only place for the inspection sticker, other than up by the cowl.. Which is even more fugly and visible

Agreed; it's horrible. I used to have it attached to the fork inside the air intake, but got ticketed twice because it was claimed it was not easily visible (which I couldn't really argue with - that was the whole point). Left with the choice of either (i) always parking the bike with the tire facing right or (ii) being ticketed, I had to move it down there. It's just butt ugly but what can you do?

I haven't done Tony; it's on my list. This very simple taste has really made me itch for more.

#17 Leo167

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 316 posts
  • Diavel Model: Dark

Posted 15 April 2013 - 02:27 PM

The city is on a mission for revenue.... And with all the law really cracking down on the highways.....
Need an outlet.. Even if it's once twice a year
Did you ride down to the open house? Let me know if you guys are going to try out tony, none in my group are interested

#18 Wahoo!!

Expert Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,742 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 09:58 AM

Attached File  Collietrack1.jpg (52.62K)
Number of downloads: 11
I forgot to mention. You need proper long boots. Last week I went to a track day in Collie in my ankle boots and it was not accepted but was loaned some nice white booties that were around 3 to 4 sizes too big. The Collie track which was far tighter and had quite a lot of bumps which was a bit unnerving when you are riding close to someone. it was a bit like riding a skittish horse bouncing to the side. Someone was kind enough to play with the suspension for me and it was far better. Great fun though but the Diavel is best on a track with room for a sprint and it is easier for a beginner to track if the corners have good camber. :)

Edited by Wahoo!!, 17 April 2013 - 10:09 AM.

#19 Maddog78

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 01:41 PM

Nice.

Our first track days are April 27/28th. Can't wait.

http://www.wmrc.ca/

Want to try out the track?
All you need is your bike, our track and $10!
Class 6 license required.Full Face Helmet, Boots covering the ankle, leather or textile jacket and gloves that cover your wrist.

Edited by Maddog78, 17 April 2013 - 01:47 PM.

#20 The Diablo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 03:24 AM

IMG 4594 (Small)
Uploaded 19 Apr 2013 - 03:22

IMG 4568 (Small)

IMG 4527 (Small)